Bulldogsroar

bulldogsfight
Dec 30, 1999
Melbourne,Vic
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
western bulldogs
The post re short careers got me thinking about players who I thought looked like they were going to be long time , 10 year players,champion players but it did'nt eventuate . Why not ? injuries, lack comiittment , didnt develop , whatever , well here ismy team of Coodabeens .They may have a a good season or two , a few spectacular performances , potential

B: Hardie Wigney Brett Montgomery
HB: Southern Craig Ellis Epplestun
C: Daniels Mark West Michael Martin
HF; Bamblett Daniel Hargreaves Georgiades
F: Grgic James Cook Standfield
Ruck: Justin Charles Tyson Lane
Rover; Brian Wilson
Intercahnge (from) Ballantyne,Ben Sexton,Adrian Campbell,S Powell Loveless Rance Penney
Going back further Fred Cook , Alan Stoneham, Allan Jennings, Robert McGhie, Pagnocollo,:
:confused: :confused: :confused:

I forgot Ian Williams, I remeber him slotting through a gaol at Moorabbin to win a game, when we came back from about 40 points down, the others never excited me.

I noticed a framed jumper in the Anglers Tavern, Stuart Wigney scored a Big V top. I can't remember him playing?

Originally posted by Ching
I noticed a framed jumper in the Anglers Tavern, Stuart Wigney scored a Big V top. I can't remember him playing?

He palyed in a "B" team v tasmania and wheeler dropped him 2 weeks later !

Yeah, agreed, but Local and some of the others will back me up (I think) when I say that one year of sublime footy was better than 5 or 6 of sustained mediocrity (not naming names, of course).
Originally posted by Libba_39
Les Bamblett stands out the most for me. What a wasted talent!

I remember Andy Nichol playing on Sav Rocca in 95 (could have been Andy's debut if I'm not mistaken) at Waverley in the drawn match and absolutely killing him. I thought to myself we've found a KPP for the next ten years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by B2..
Yeah, agreed, but Local and some of the others will back me up (I think) when I say that one year of sublime footy was better than 5 or 6 of sustained mediocrity (not naming names, of course).

Oh yeah baby.

Sublime is the word for Lallys' form in '85 and I'm glad I was there to see it. Forget every other forward pocket you have ever seen Bamblett played better in '85 than any of them full stop, put down your glasses, thank you linesman thank you ballboys and thank your mother for the rabbits.

He turned up for preseason training in Wheelers first year(89) at the coaches invitation. He was about 4 stone overweight and didnt get through the first session.

Does anyone remember a young fellow named Ronny James? I'm pretty sure that he would have been a 200 gamer would've been an absolute champion.

stephen boyle

Stephen Boyle was going to be a great player until an unnecessary forearm froma Cowboy at St Kilda caused him to lose an eye. A real tragedy - Boyle would have excited us supporters for years.

By the way, Lally was the just the best - pity he was not able to reach his potential and have a long career.

And wasn't Charlie Pagnoccolo number 6????

Remember the day Rod Couitts kicked six goals at the Junction Ovalagainst St Kilda - again, a potentially great player that lasted 5 minutes.

Lynton Fitzpatrick looked like becoming our full back option after Rick Kennedy with a couple of BOG's in his first couple of games ('88 from memory) but never kicked on.

Phil "tatts" O'Keeffe and Ian Rickman both showed glimpses in our forward line - probably an application problem more than anything else.

Gary Irvine played about 5-6 great games in a row in the back pocket in 1998 but completely disappeared (Matthew Hogg probably made that position his own the year after).

I thought Richard Cousins would be a great replacement for Purser after his very good year in 1988.

Did anyone mention Shorty Daniels for his stellar year on the wing in 1985?

Originally posted by Sedat!
I thought Richard Cousins would be a great replacement for Purser after his very good year in 1988.

I loved how he mentioned as a replacement chf, ruckman, backman, etc but wasn't any of them.

Lost an eye....
Though I heard about all the seroius injuries at Western oval.
(including the quadraplegic) When did this all happen...?
'Unnecessary' mean not legitimate nowadays, acceptable act in old days? The act of a mongrel???

I forgot Ian Williams, I remeber him slotting through a gaol at Moorabbin to win a game, when we came back from about 40 points down, the others never excited me.

In 1983, I got my first footy jumper and had the choice of any number. Because of that bloody game, I chose #5. Didn't take long to change to Dougy's number the following year :)

N21961, also thought Matty Mansfield would be a long-term players for us from the HBF. Had a beautiful raking left foot kick a-la Mark Bayes

Back on the subject (some of these didn't even play any senior games):

Phil Krakouer (took a great hanger against Adelaide at footy park in '91)
Ricky Jackson
Justin Pickering
Nicky Winmar
Minton-Connell (40+ goals in first 10 games in '97)

Minton-Connell (40+ goals in first 10 games in '97)

Wasn't it 46? And got number 47 against stkilda 2 weeks later and that was his year.... No more goals

krakour (??) Phil as in Nmelb???? HUH???:confused: :confused: :confused:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back