Can the AFL Actually Beat Concussion Class Actions with these Stupid MRO Decisions?

Remove this Banner Ad

The rules seem to be written around contact with an opposition player, not a team mate. However, he could possibly be reported under rule 22.2.2(ix); "Making unreasonable or unnecessary contact to the face of another person". Which he did in a very forceful way.

It seems to be one of the few "contact" rules which mentions "person" rather than "opposition player".
The irony is if he had hit Lever he would have got weeks.

It is the accidental contact that is the problem here. Accidents happen and if you go down that path how do you separate the outcome based on teammate or not?

Need to get back to intent IMO.

AFL made their bed, will get messy.

Thing I wanna know is what the f was King Rohan actually trying to do?

He missed Lever by a mile.

Right? Didn't even come close. If I was a conspiracist, I'd say he was lining Jezza up lol

Don't know if you're joking, but it's a fair question. The AFL has already made it clear that it's not about intention, with carelessness being a valid reason for a suspension.

So why should the victim being on the same team have any impact on the penalty? A concussion caused by carelessness is a concussion nonetheless.
Yep. Careless, High impact and high contact. Thats weeks.

It will be interesting see what happens if Gus Bradshaw is slung tackled and his helmeted head hits the turf. Most players have got up and continued playing regardless of their heads hitting the ground. Wearing a helmet surely exempt potential to hurt. The tackler gets off as the potential to hurt is eliminated. That said I predict all players within 10 years will wear helmets. That’s where the AFL is going with this.

The NFL wear helmets:Concussions in American football - Wikipedia

Good luck with your 10 years.
The sensors in mouthguards appeal to me, measuring the severity of hits, as the AFL adding more players to the interchange.

The NFL wear helmets:Concussions in American football - Wikipedia

Good luck with your 10 years.
The sensors in mouthguards appeal to me, measuring the severity of hits, as the AFL adding more players to the interchange.
Yep, helmets can help impact injuries eg fractures, cuts, bruises etc. but the brain still moves regardless so no helmet helps concussions.

Already massive change in the game day protocols compared to the past and the next step is in recovery IMO.

My 2c, I think the key will be in the recovery protocols. I think there will eventually be much stricter guidelines of players returning from concussions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back