Caro is at it again!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

But she did use the word 'appears'.

hotham

True,we were dragged into the story but that was inevitable. What was more disturbing was the crux of the information that she delivered. The idea of the self-proclaimed "big five" "deciding" that it would be best for the competition to "let poorer clubs die" and that a commissioner would actually meet with these turds as they discussed this scenario is very worrying. It would seem that the new TV deal hasn't given us any sort of reprieve. We better prepare for a fight as it would seem that we not only have the fatuous,bloated "let them eat cake Marie Antoinettes" of the League but also their very own guillotine operator to battle.

God I hope - if it looks like another club is going to die - that someone, ANYONE (****, I'll do it) gets out there and makes a BIG ****ing fuss, just so that the public realise what it means when a club dies.

Fitzroy was tragic, however I think that the effect of one of the current teams folding would be many times larger and worse than Fitzroy.

The AFL, and the larger clubs need to realise who this game belongs to. Really belongs to, when it gets down to it.

This game belongs to me. That's right me. And you. Everyone who posts here on bigfooty. How many hours do you spend online, searching for information about footy, chatting about it, etc, etc. All the fans who go to matches, and especially the members.

It DOESN'T belong to the AFL, and to the extent that it does, it only belongs to them to hold on trust (sorry to use a legal term) for (once again) us, the fans.

HYPOTHETICAL - What if they held a game and noone turned up?

This whole debate makes me really angry. Whether clubs should die. Of course they shouldn't!! People ask "Can the competition sustain 16 teams in the long term?". Uh, yes! It sustains them now, the only difference is that costs are going up (player payments increase by about 7% each year), but revenues don't (the AFL don't want to increase ticket prices by 7% so that the clubs could cover the increase in player payments via gate receipts)

All it means is that more money needs to come from elsewhere: Reserved seats, sponsorship, etc, etc. Eventually these sources run out. The constant increase in player payments will have to stop eventually. The competition won't be able to support it. The AFL is not like the NBA, where the market it is played in (USA) is large enough to support the exorbitant salaries that the players get paid. Player payments need to slow down eventually (I don't know when) or else other clubs will go to the wall, and I'm not just talking Kangas, Bulldogs, Saints. Other "safe" clubs will as well.

Then we'll see how "strong" the competition is!

I could imagine the outcry if upper and middle class Australia convened a meeting with the PM to discuss the social welfare system. Maybe we could appoint adminstrators to determine whether or not a poor or disadvantaged person derserves public housing assistance. Why prop them up ? It may make better fiscal sense to let them get colder and just die.

The big five may think bigger is better, and that smaller clubs should just shrivel up and die. I could think of nothing more boring than having block busters every weekend, and a reduction of the amount of finals football.

Essendon, Carlton, Collingwood , Hawthorn and Richmond are not equal. Some of these clubs are strong in a football sense as well as being adept commercially. Some have good membership but lack good crowd support. Without clubs like the Kangaroos the weaknesses of some of these clubs will become highlighted by the media and scrutiny will begin. Some of the big five mayl struggle against the interstate franchises.

So Caro, keep continuing with the doom and the gloom and your cheap shots, because there is the potential for the Tigs to be like the Roos, and be the one on the outer. Given that Richmond have failed to be competitive out on the field since the AFL has been a professional competition.

hotham

She wrote a positive story about the other cash strapped club today, St Kilda. She has bagged the Roos and Dogs endlessly, yet St Kilda are financially screwed because they couldn't run a chook raffle. St Kilda are a joke, yet she writes positively about them. The Roos and the Dogs are poor because neither club has a big supporter base, partly because we entered in 1925 and because neither club won a flag for thirty years after entering

What I couldn't believe was the gall of Hawthorn's Ian Dicker being with that group. How long ago were they all but merged. My brothers, who are Hawk fans signed themselves, their wives and kids, their dogs and garden knomes up as members. In a few years, if the Dogs or Roos are gone they will be next in line for Eddie and his mates to salivate over when the Woods remain uncompetitive for a few more years.

"Slamming" Hotham

Originally posted by hotham
I could imagine the outcry if upper and middle class Australia convened a meeting with the PM to discuss the social welfare system. Maybe we could appoint adminstrators to determine whether or not a poor or disadvantaged person derserves public housing assistance. Why prop them up ? It may make better fiscal sense to let them get colder and just die.

hotham

Hotham....

are you sure you aren't Sam Kekovich? This isn't a preview of tonight's The Fat [B[ is it?!;)
you know it makes sense...

I don't mind if the AFL thinks about where the money goes and makes sure the emergency funds are being well-spent, not p...d against a wall by poor club managers. I don't even mind if clubs that are well-run get together and encourage the AFL to take that view (although I'd question the gang of five and whether they are really the cream of the crop in this regard).

While Eddie has tightened things at Collingwood, their survival through Magpieland and other debacles was due to their amazingly loyal supporter base, certainly not to the quality of the club's management. And Richmond and Hawthorn should take a few minutes to remember how close to the wall they came - and how easily they could slide back into the struggling group - before they get carried away with "survival of the fittest" talk.

What really annoyed me about Caro's article was that, apart from referring to the Roos in opening and closing as one of the two clubs most under threat, the whole rest of the article showed that there are major money worries right now at a larger number of clubs - at least at Melbourne, St Kilda, Bulldogs and North - and the Roos are doing better than the others in $ and unlike most of that group are moving in the right direction.

She is an out-and-out bitch!

How quickly we forget the tin rattling for Save our Skins - Tiger skins because you stupid, stupid biased bitch, Richmond were going to the wall and were GONE. :eek:

The article on Carey after the 1998 GF was nothing short of an absolute assassination job on him, you stupid, biased bitch. And you have the temerity to call youself a "journalist".

Carrohead - good journalists, of which you are not, research and write about FACTS, something that is alien to you.
"I believe", Iv'e heard", "Someone at the club" Sources I cannot name" on and and on and on and on.

How in the hell did she end up as Sports Editor of the appropriate nearly defunct paper "TheAge" is beyond my comprehension.:eek:

If she is on "Talking Footy" next year she should place a paper bag over her head, so not only will the viewers not be able to see that face, the drivel that pours forth from her mouth will be muffled. Caro spouting muffled drivel.

Michele

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re: "Slamming" Hotham

Originally posted by Byron'sShoulder

Hotham....

are you sure you aren't Sam Kekovich? This isn't a preview of tonight's The Fat [B[ is it?!;)
you know it makes sense...

Byron's Shoulder,

I aint Kekka, I do not have his vocabulary and my knees are in better shape, but I would slam USC if I had half the chance......

hotham;)

She should be sent to North Melbourne.. to the LOST DOGS HOME!!

I am absoloutely sick to **** of her

Why does she believe everything she thinks is dead correct and there is no other way.. I prefer Mike Sheehan for a few reasons

1) Doesn't write one article a week about how we should die

2) Has a go at his own club

3) He knows his is an opinion article

Some tips for you Caro you dog

Originally posted by McCartney5
She should be sent to North Melbourne.. to the LOST DOGS HOME!!

I am absoloutely sick to **** of her

Why does she believe everything she thinks is dead correct and there is no other way.. I prefer Mike Sheehan for a few reasons

1) Doesn't write one article a week about how we should die

2) Has a go at his own club

3) He knows his is an opinion article

Some tips for you Caro you dog

Mc Cartney 5,

Excellent idea, we could remove the slags teeth and put her in a cage with some pit bulls......

:D :D :D

hotham

Originally posted by Shinboners

Wouldn't the RSCPA prosecute us for cruelty to the pit bulls?

Shinboners

No I have already considered issues of animal cruelty. The pitbulls will be blind folded.

hotham

I seriously don't know why Norths membership number is so low. I'd say around the Northern Suburbs of Melbourne that they are the 4th ot 5th most popular team. You'd like to think that if we were on the brink of extinction that we could get our membership base up to 30,000 (aka Hawthorn)

I think pointless obscenities directed to Mrs Wilson in regard to her well researched, logical, coherent, well structured and factually correct article are neither warranted or called for. Over the years she has demonstrated objectivity in all her articles regarding the North Melbourne Football club and on behalf of all North supporters I offer the following words of encouragement to Mrs Wilson

Shove your pock faced, puss dribbling, disgusting, comparable to a warthogs rectum head right up ya ar se you stupid thucken cow.

Choppy,

If the first part of your post was directed at me, I am sorry.:eek: :D

My post on the Carohead's excellent articles was bought about by an unwarranted rage of passion against a journalist with "unquestioned journalistic ability and credibility". :p

Michele

Remove this Banner Ad

Back