Teams Carolina Panthers - Cardiac Cats

Remove this Banner Ad

Panthers DE Charles Johnson saw snaps at right end during the offseason program.

Johnson has played almost exclusively on the left side the last three seasons, but with Kony Ealy, Wes Horton and Frank Alexander question marks on the right side, the Panthers could look to move Johnson around more this year. No matter where he lines up, Carolina's pass rush will likely go as Johnson goes this season.

Source: Charlotte Observer

Steve Reed of the Associated Press said it seems like the Panthers "really want" Frank Alexander to win the starting job at right end.

Reed didn't elaborate, though his remarks are consistent with a report last month that coach Ron Rivera was "bullish" on Alexander. He'll compete with Kony Ealy and incumbent Wes Horton opposite starting left end Charles Johnson.
Related: Kony Ealy

Source: Steve Reed on Twitter

Practice notes:

- The worlds greatest ever practice squad member Stephen Hill did his knee and was cut.

- Michael Oher either sucks ( :( ) or Frank Alexander is our new Greg Hardy (without the women bashing), ill go with Alexander being the new Hardy, lift Oher you muppet!!

- Shaq Thompson more effective against the run than expected, one play that he burst through the LOS on a tackle for a loss

- Charles Tillman as disruptive as ever forcing two fumbles with his world famous right fist.

- Teddy Ginn scoring two touchdowns on deep balls from Cam, looks like he hasn't missed a beat with his one year away from us in Arizona. Seems to be the number one option for our 'speed receiver' .

- Colin Jones and Kurt Coleman both making some big plays at safety, nice to know if father time finally catches up with Roman Harper this season.

Last edited:
I am most worried about Michael Oher TBH. We have weapons for Cam now so we need to give him time. I can see him scrambling around a lot again this season. I think our D has the potential to be number 1 this season so lets see how we go. Frank Alexander dominated camp last year as well but was suspended for being a peanut.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Charlotte Observer reports negotiations between MLB Luke Kuechly and the Panthers are "heating up."

There was some concern last week the two sides would not be able to reach an agreement before the regular season, but talks have become "more serious in recent days." Kuechly is signed through 2016 after the Panthers picked up his fifth-year option, but both sides would like to work out a long-term extension before he hits his contract year. Once a deal is signed, Kuechly will almost certainly become the highest paid linebacker in the league.

Coach Ron Rivera said initial tests revealed a sprained left knee for Kelvin Benjamin.

Benjamin is headed for an MRI later today where the Panthers will learn more. Obviously we're not out of the woods here with Benjamin, and Rivera tends to always have an optimistic view toward injuries right after they happen. We'll provide another update later today when Benjamin's MRI results are revealed.

Source: David Newton on Twitter

Kelvin Benjamin suffered a torn ACL in Wednesday's training camp practice and will miss the entire season.

The Panthers initially listed Benjamin's injury as a sprain, but an MRI confirmed he'll need reconstructive surgery. It couldn't be a worse situation for Cam Newton and Carolina's pass game. The Panthers have one of the league's weakest receiver depth charts, leaving a three-wide set of rookie Devin Funchess, Ted Ginn, and Jerricho Cotchery. GM Dave Gettleman could be forced to explore the veteran free-agent market. Benjamin had 144 targets last year, fifth-most in the NFL.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Don't be so sure. We aren't a pass heavy offense anyway. Our WR options are better this year. We should still be a good shot at winning the NFC South.

Benji makes our run first offense go though. If you haven't got the stud receiver, teams will just load the box now. Then there is also the matter of the more times we give it to Stewart the more chance he has of getting injured.

Funchess will need to have a Benjamin type rookie year just for us to be competitive (8-8), i can't see it happening, he will have every chance as a WR1 now though.

Out of our whole squad, KB was probably the player we could least afford to lose (yep, ahead of Cam and Luke).

Do we make a trade? The free agent list of WR's is deadset pitiful.

Just suck it up. Endure the season, and make the most of the adversity.

Agree. We arent championship material.

If an offer of a life time came along for a pro bowl WR i wouldnt knock it back but i wouldnt go trading just to salvage the season though. It is what it is.

The Panthers plan to use more two tight end sets following Kelvin Benjamin's season-ending ACL injury.

Ed Dickson worked with the first-team offense and caught several passes in Thursday's practice. With Devin Funchess unproven and Ted Ginn and Corey Brown better suited as deep threats, the Panthers need reliable targets in the middle of the field. Reliable receiver has never described Dickson before, but he is a good athlete who could threaten the seams if given a chance.

The Panthers plan to use more two tight end sets following Kelvin Benjamin's season-ending ACL injury.

Ed Dickson worked with the first-team offense and caught several passes in Thursday's practice. With Devin Funchess unproven and Ted Ginn and Corey Brown better suited as deep threats, the Panthers need reliable targets in the middle of the field. Reliable receiver has never described Dickson before, but he is a good athlete who could threaten the seams if given a chance.

lol, Dickson is the answer!!! :drunk:

How about they trade AJ Klien, Fozzy Whittaker and swaps some picks on Madden like i did for Donte Moncrief?

Thank me later Gettleman.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back