Autopsy Cats lose by 8 points to Pies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes...but marginal....

Sav's dropped mark ...an absolute sitter...killed us...he can toddle off to Port as far as I'm concerned.

The bloke who worries me is Holmes...he was terrible last night and a shadow of himself from earlier in the season.

Doesn't appear to be injured but who knows?
A really bad decision by Smith to kick to that spot and to Sav as an outlet in defensive 50 though. He wasn't expecting it. Still a horrible mistake but he actually did 10 good things which is about 8 more than SDK and that's been a consistent theme of the Sav vs SDK comparison this year.

They need to piss off zone defending, get away with it when you're as good as we were last year but its ridiculous when you are an average side makes it way too easy for the opposition to score.

Go back to defenders actually playing on their man and being accountable, not standing in no mans land hoping for the best constantly.

Incorrect- his opponent was not Mihocek all night. Kolo was off, but Mihocek kicked goals on multiple opponents from what I saw. Nice to give Kolo all the "credit" though.
He's been a witches hat all year.

It pains me to say that because 2016-2021 he received a lot of unfair criticism. He was still very good at his one wood of stopping opponents. Sadly he's had his worst year this season.

A really bad decision by Smith to kick to that spot and to Sav as an outlet in defensive 50 though. He wasn't expecting it. Still a horrible mistake but he actually did 10 good things which is about 8 more than SDK and that's been a consistent theme of the Sav vs SDK comparison this year.
I thought the Smith kick was to Duncan and Daicos intercepted it and passed to another Collingwood player. Not sure who kicked to Ratu who dropped the mark. Dropping chest marks is surely a concentration proplem. Don't they practice that in training.

I thought the Smith kick was to Duncan and Daicos intercepted it and passed to another Collingwood player. Not sure who kicked to Ratu who dropped the mark. Dropping chest marks is surely a concentration proplem. Don't they practice that in training.
Ah fair enough, maybe I mistook the culprit in that case and had the other Smith kick on my mind.

I can't remember the last season where Geelong have made this many fundamental errors, especially in defence. So many missed marks, spoils, tackles and ground ball gets.

But also there is a mentality issue. Teams feast on us when we go for conservative chip kicks and "nothing" disposals. When we take the game on we actually look really good. I can only put that down to confidence as far as why we withdraw into that protection mode. The only other thing I can think of is fitness and judging by the way we failed to run back in the D50 (so many times there were 2-4 free Magpies running into the goal line), that may be an important factor.

Look i dont want to rehash the 95 GF - rather wipe it from my memory

But i know the story behind the betting - and why we actually started favourite

This was in the very early days of sports betting - and around that time believe it or not - Sports bookmakers under the legislation had to be located on a race track

Anyhow Carlton were favourite not be alot say 20-25 cents - on the Saturday morning an Asian high roller got off the plane - he saw those odds - and like alot of punters backed the one at the better price - he put 100 Grand on the Cats and that is why we started favourite in the betting
That’s so ridiculous isn’t it? Everyone knew blues would win. Well everyone except my brother and I!

A chip kick to Ratugolea around 40m out is not a % play, sorry.

Our tiggy touchwood play when the game was there to be won was embarrassing.
There was nothing wrong with the play apart from Esava shitting the bed.

Wrong. The play was to go long, central or wide, numbers at the ball and generate one of our successful chaos surges. Conservatism cost us the game.
Lol. Kicking to a free player 40m from goal is not conservative.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LMFAO. It is, especially when it's to your worst ball user.

We were ripping Collingwood to shreds with sheer territory when we applied pace. Chipping the ball around cost us 4 goals through the game just off the top of my head.
ROFLCOPTERCHOPS

Kicking the ball out to a 40m target is not “chipping the ball around”.

LMFAO. It is, especially when it's to your worst ball user.

We were ripping Collingwood to shreds with sheer territory when we applied pace. Chipping the ball around cost us 4 goals through the game just off the top of my head.
We had several momentum busters in the last q, but truly the ultimate was Smith's errant and lazy pass. I know he has many credits, but it certainly zapped our chance of winning.

Vdubs % is a pretty good indication of how strong sides actually are. Geelong 4th and St Kilda 10th is a fairer reflection of each side's strength relative to the competition.
Tell the Crows that.

Tell the Crows that.
I believe they are one of the best 8 teams.

We tend to dismiss sides with close losses to top teams. Adelaide are absolutely in that category. A couple of goals here or there against Collingwood (twice) and Brisbane, and we're talking them up as much as Carlton.

Tuohy kicked to Ratugolea. Nothing wrong with the kick. It was Ratugolea’s skill error to drop the mark.

Change Ratugolea to Kolodjashnij or SDK being the one to drop the mark and watch the narrative change to it being them with the skill error for failing to hold a simple mark...

My fellow Cats fans live in a dream world most of the time, they won't make the 8 and it would be a good thing if they didn't. The best thing Geelong can do is put the cue in the rack, finish the season and send them away on leave for 2 months, get everybody fit and have a great pre-season in preparation for 2024. There will be retirements and there will be players traded, maybe the new recruits from last year's trade period and draft will be more settled next season? They have lost a lot of close games and the measure of a good team is how many of those tight contests you win, if you keep losing them, then you are also ran...
With all due respect, gtfo

Vdubs % is a pretty good indication of how strong sides actually are. Geelong 4th and St Kilda 10th is a fairer reflection of each side's strength relative to the competition.

If percentage is the indicator of how strong sides are, then ranking 4th is an absolute indictment on the sad state of the competition this year. There have been somewhat mitigating circumstances with injuries, but we're way down on the standards us Cat fans have enjoyed over the years.

But when you think about it, the clear frontrunner and #1 team played the #9 (in terms of ladder position) and barring a couple of embarrassing mistakes from that #9 side, would've lost... so maybe there's something in that!

If percentage is the indicator of how strong sides are, then ranking 4th is an absolute indictment on the sad state of the competition this year. There have been somewhat mitigating circumstances with injuries, but we're way down on the standards us Cat fans have enjoyed over the years.

But when you think about it, the clear frontrunner and #1 team played the #9 (in terms of ladder position) and barring a couple of embarrassing mistakes from that #9 side, would've lost... so maybe there's something in that!
Exactly. It's a very weak year. There's as many as 14 decent enough sides but besides flashes from Collingwood and Port, none that I could say are really strong.

Bradbury flag for anyone on a hot streak at the right time.

It doesn't really matter who the kicks were to - the fact is we had the momentum at the start of the last, with Cameron firing, but we squandered it by going too cute.

We were too scared to play kamikaze when we were getting the centre clearances.

Kolo, O Connor, Tuohy, Sav - Bews too - are not good enough to see us improve next year. We need mids and classy backs before we need a ruck.

Have never noticed Richo as a Geelong hater. Seems pretty fair to me. As does hodgey, Jobe Watson etc
But BT is certainly a pies barracker -on the odd occasion when he actually has a clue what’s going on in a game.
OMG, Hodgey explaining to BT what a contested mark is, is the funniest commentary I’ve heard. I like Hodgey. He has a good footy brain and doesn’t hate Geelong. BT on the other hand is living proof that we evolved from Neanderthals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back