Changes for Boxing Day - In: J.Burns Out: M.Marsh

Remove this Banner Ad

Looks like ABC radio were right and boof doesn't care for Cowan. Seems to have something again Tassie blokes in general, you would hope not still from shield final sook. Amazing Watson and Haddin still keeping their spots.

Looks like ABC radio were right and boof doesn't care for Cowan. Seems to have something again Tassie blokes in general, you would hope not still from shield final sook. Amazing Watson and Haddin still keeping their spots.
Boof is an old fashioned coach who doesn't drop his players to appease blood thirsty 'fans'.

You stick by the players that have seen you through to a 2-0 lead and rightly so as long as nobody is banging the door down.

Faulkner
Doolan
Bailey
Bird

Tasmania has had plenty of recent selections at international level.

High score of 113 - Average mid 30's

His Australian Ashes was average. How many centuries did he hit? One?

Clarke and Haddin has amazing Australian Ashes. Whilst Rogers may have averaged 46 it was still only an okay series,I wouldnt say I was ever filled with confidence whilst he was at the crease - we destroyed England and the whole line up batted well
Lol so Clarke had an amazing ashes whilst scoring less runs and averaging less? Ok mate.
image.jpg

Faulkner
Doolan
Bailey
Bird

Tasmania has had plenty of recent selections at international level.

Who have quickly been moved on. Yet his mates pile up failure after failure and keep cashing those match pays.

Which of his mates?

There is no evidence at all for the selection panel being biased against any state.

Haddin and Watson. Guys he played with. I see no helpful reason for them to keep getting games. The whole don't change a winning team thing annoys me. We should be smashing India at home and it's a perfect time to bring in the new guys. Instead we will go to England with the same side and some young keeper will get thrown in away from home with a bunch of pressure.

Yep great to see Burns get a chance. Was hoping for he or Ferguson if a batsmen was selected, or Faulkner if an all rounder.

Now it will be interesting to see where he bats. Does he move to 3 and Watson to 6. Or does the more experienced Marsh get moved to 3 and Burns eased in at number 5.

It would be great if he can get some runs and that will put a lot of pressure on Watson's spot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cowan from NSW originally, usually guarantees you a spot in the team.

Really like the Burns selection. Best possible choice if we were only planning on leaving out Marsh and no one else.
Hope Burns can do well, would love him to stay in the team and then Mitch Marsh to replace Watson when he returns from injury.
That would be the ideal situation.

Haddin and Watson. Guys he played with. I see no helpful reason for them to keep getting games. The whole don't change a winning team thing annoys me. We should be smashing India at home and it's a perfect time to bring in the new guys. Instead we will go to England with the same side and some young keeper will get thrown in away from home with a bunch of pressure.

Can't blame Boof for Haddin and Watson.

It's pretty evident that the whole situation with Clarke is why they are still around.

But you raise valid points. I actually agree with you.

But it has nothing to do with an anti-Tassie bias.

Yeah, lets heap all of the leadership pressure on 25 year old Steve Smith.

Stupid.

And hold on - since when is 46 over a 5 test series amazing.

Are we so poisened by average cricket these days with the Australian Test team that we are considering an average below 50 in a series to be good.

What's Smith's Average this series? A hundred or so?

We have players averaging over 50 through their entire career, and we used to have an entire top 5 that would average 50+

If a players BEST series is averaging 46 then woe for their down series.
Changing the guys we currently have in the team does not mean they're replacements are going to average 50+. Most of the proposed replacements in this thread would do no better than the guys we currently have. The main two selections I've had beef with in recent months have been Sean Marsh (would have gone Ferg), and Glenn Maxwell.

It's all well and good saying we used to have an entire top five that averaged 50+. But those guys don't exist anymore. Anyone we bring into the team, there are genuine concerns as to whether they can even average 40 at test level. There aren't a bunch of guys floating around shield cricket dominating with the bat who aren't getting a run at test level. If they existed, they would be getting a run.

I have pumped the tyes of Burns and Ferguson and I would be confident they could average 40+ in test cricket. But I also have my doubts. They (and no one) is dominating in the shield in a way where you could be confident that would step it up at test level. At the moment, it's more select them when the time is right and hope they do the business.

Making wholesale changes leading into an Ashes series is not the way forward. I would not be surprised if there are a lot of changes after the Ashes.

Stupid.

How many blokes can you have in the team for their leadership qualities though when they're not performing? Might not Smith be better off getting a clear run at the captaincy anyway without all these other people giving him advice?

Who have quickly been moved on. Yet his mates pile up failure after failure and keep cashing those match pays.
The only guy there that has performed is Bird and he has been injured until very recently.

Apart from Kallis, Watson's record stands up as the best from an all rounder from the last 10 years. He averages more than Flintoff with the bat and marginally less with the ball. While stats don't mean he's better player (he's not) or justify his current form it shows that he's a long way from the hack the general public think he is. To suggest that he should be replaced by Faulkner who hasn't scored a first class century is beyond a joke. Faulkner is a bowler who bats, Watson is a batsman who bowls. Completely different players. He needs to lift but I can see why the selectors have faith.

Stupid.

Good Lord. How many games has Johnson played, Rogers has been around for 100 years, all these guys have lived cricket for most of their lives. If they can't get through a test without advice from those guys then * me.

How many blokes can you have in the team for their leadership qualities though when they're not performing? Might not Smith be better off getting a clear run at the captaincy anyway without all these other people giving him advice?
Smith wasn't even in the side last year, why would you think he doesn't need advice?

I won't debate the fact that Watson and Haddin are batting poorly. Watson was solid with the ball as fourth seamer and Haddin has been good with the gloves, but I understand it isn't enough.

The problem is that we know Haddin is patchy, but when he goes he goes well. He saved us last Ashes and was possibly more responsible than anyone for the whitewash.

Watson I would like to see go, but who is good enough to replace him? Right now, it's just shuffling deckchairs.

I really don't have too many problems with the changes. Ed Cowan will be on standby if Warner's thumb doesn't come good and Harris or Siddle will replace Starc (Harris for me).

Haddin is a funny one, he's a chance to take more catches than score runs on current form for the series, but the inexperience out there Haddin has to stay.

Watson should be gone but CA have pumped too much money into using him as a marketing person so we're stuck with him for the summer.

Good Lord. How many games has Johnson played, Rogers has been around for 100 years, all these guys have lived cricket for most of their lives. If they can't get through a test without advice from those guys then **** me.
Johnson's a bowler and Rogers has only been in the side for a couple of years. Watson and Haddin are important in Clarke's absence because they were there when we were good, and they were there when we were bad. They understand what drives this team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back