Changes v Bombers

Remove this Banner Ad

Out: Macrae, Daniel and Dale
In: Bendendo, Garcia and O'Donnell

Keep the transition going Bevo...
Freijah next in line too, going to be a ripper. Forget Harmes he is backup or if Bevo wants a tagger, that's it. We need to keep moving to the next crop of players.

I don’t see many changes happening this week, I think Clarke would compliment our forward line massively and would be one of those players that’s better at AFL level than VFL but don’t see VDM being dropped.

I want JOD in but Essendon are not tall up forward.

Out: Daniel (was very poor) Duryea (team balance)
In: Garcia Harmes

B: Bramble Jones Williams
HB: JJ Khamis Richards
C : Gallagher Bont Baker
HF: VDM Naughton Weightman
F: West JUH Darcy
R: English Treloar Libba
INT: Sanders Macare Dale Garcia
Sub: Harmes

Don’t see us messing with our tall defenders this week, feel like we’ll continue to back in Buku as the second tall. Even though I believe we do need to work JOD in sooner rather than later, let him get another VFL run into his legs

I sort of agree with this but it probably only works as long as we have no mid-game injuries.

What if in the first qtr Liam Jones does a hammy?
How do we cover for him for the rest of the match?
The only thing I can think of is sending Naughton back, which of course is sacrilege.

I just want to see our best team picked.
Out VDM not up to it been the case for years
In macrae. Caleb to play as a small half forward. All good to be quick like VDM but offers nothing. Caleb gets 12 touches there we will be doing OK. Macrae to play in the guts as 4th midfielder taking Calebs spot.
I would also take out 1 of williams duryea bramble. Don't need 8 backs.
No need for JOD this week so play Garcia.
Don't really care who is sub.

I sort of agree with this but it probably only works as long as we have no mid-game injuries.

What if in the first qtr Liam Jones does a hammy?
How do we cover for him for the rest of the match?
The only thing I can think of is sending Naughton back, which of course is sacrilege.
Yeah if Jones goes down we’re screwed. Just don’t think this is quite the week for JOD even though I’d be hugely tempted if I was picking the team

I just want to see our best team picked.
Out VDM not up to it been the case for years
In macrae. Caleb to play as a small half forward. All good to be quick like VDM but offers nothing. Caleb gets 12 touches there we will be doing OK. Macrae to play in the guts as 4th midfielder taking Calebs spot.
I would also take out 1 of williams duryea bramble. Don't need 8 backs.
No need for JOD this week so play Garcia.
Don't really care who is sub.
VDM covers more ground at pace than anyone on our list. He's a major reason why opposition HBs aren't walking the ball out of our defence. It's a thankless but important role.

We're trying to get pace on the ground so if VDM goes out, it has to be a like for like defensive runner.

VDM covers more ground at pace than anyone on our list. He's a major reason why opposition HBs aren't walking the ball out of our defence. It's a thankless but important role.

We're trying to get pace on the ground so if VDM goes out, it has to be a like for like defensive runner.
Pretty sure the cats waked it out quite a bit.
Averaging a massive 2 and a hlaf tackles a game. I would happily take the output of Daniel there and Macare back in the middles than VDM forward and whoever coach decides to pick.

Pretty sure the cats waked it out quite a bit.
Averaging a massive 2 and a hlaf tackles a game. I would happily take the output of Daniel there and Macare back in the middles than VDM forward and whoever coach decides to pick.
37 sprints last game - the next best was 27 (and no other Bulldogs in the top 5).
It's not the 80s anymore.

Surely there’s someone else on the list who can run fast? I get what VDM is bringing and it’s important but at the same time his fumbles, missed shots on goal, general lack of awareness & composure, poor disposal leads to just as many opposition easy runs out of the forward line than he shuts down?

Surely someone else can literally just run? Scott? He’s quick. I’d take Artys 0 disposal game over a VDM 15 touch game. He can surely play this role?

It’s important, super important, but he is not the answer - time to try someone else.

JOD has to play, I don’t care how many talls Essendon have we need to transition to a structure that can hold up across the season. Jones & Khamis have been admirable but it’s not sustainable, give JOD an easy kill this week to bring him through and start to get these 3 gelling together because they will take us forward.

There is zero need, and not even room, to play all of Red, Dale, JJ, Bramble, Doc, Williams in the same defence.

Surely there’s someone else on the list who can run fast? I get what VDM is bringing and it’s important but at the same time his fumbles, missed shots on goal, general lack of awareness & composure, poor disposal leads to just as many opposition easy runs out of the forward line than he shuts down?

Surely someone else can literally just run? Scott? He’s quick. I’d take Artys 0 disposal game over a VDM 15 touch game. He can surely play this role?

It’s important, super important, but he is not the answer - time to try someone else.
That’s just a pathetic comment and a lack of game understanding. Arty is a mile off it and at the moment bereft of confidence and a little timid. Let him build up.
VDM has had one fumble and you lose your s**t.
He has been our best pressure fwd. Yes he missed a sitter but he wasn’t Robinson Crusoe.
Defence is built on team and he is pretty much our first line and he is leading from the front in that area.
The previous week he was good and also against GC. Held his own against dees also. So over is game involvement with ball in hand is reasonable. Without ball it’s been exceptional.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

JOD has to play, I don’t care how many talls Essendon have we need to transition to a structure that can hold up across the season. Jones & Khamis have been admirable but it’s not sustainable, give JOD an easy kill this week to bring him through and start to get these 3 gelling together because they will take us forward.

There is zero need, and not even room, to play all of Red, Dale, JJ, Bramble, Doc, Williams in the same defence.
Tend to agree. JOD has decent pace and ball use anyway so not like we're giving much up. Jones, Khamis and JOD combo

Yeah if Jones goes down we’re screwed. Just don’t think this is quite the week for JOD even though I’d be hugely tempted if I was picking the team
Is JOD even next in line? If Jones is down, Keath has played every game this VFL season IIRC. There's every chance we want to see JOD get a block of games first.
He's clearly in our long term plans but if we want players to be able to hit the ground running he might still have to get that gametime under his belt first.

Is JOD even next in line? If Jones is down, Keath has played every game this VFL season IIRC. There's every chance we want to see JOD get a block of games first.
He's clearly in our long term plans but if we want players to be able to hit the ground running he might still have to get that gametime under his belt first.
From transition from defence absolutely he is. Keath is really back up for Jones

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Bev mentioned him in the post match, no chance of going out. I would like to see him play with more desperation. Had a chance in the first minute of the game , but backed out when he could have hit the pack. Misses a goal and shows no emotion, like he expects to miss it. He is playing in a comfort zone IMO, like he knows he isn't getting dropped in the short term, when others in the past haven't been afforded the same luxury.

Last edited:
Sort of ironic that we go from playing the Cats one week to the Bombers the next.
We're the Cats' bunnies and the Bombers are our bunnies. A glimpse of the Essendon board's preview of our game is similar reading to our preview of the Cats' game.

Sort of ironic that we go from playing the Cats one week to the Bombers the next.
We're the Cats' bunnies and the Bombers are our bunnies. A glimpse of the Essendon board's preview of our game is similar reading to our preview of the Cats' game.

Good reason for that. We’re 9-1 against them in the last 10. 6 of those wins have been by 40+.

And who could forget this work of art?:

IMG_7137.jpeg

Pity & disrespect have never combined more satisfyingly than when Bulldogs supporters clapped for AMT ending our run of goals at 21.

Outs: Macrae, Duryea, Dale,
Ins: Garcia, Clark, Cleary/ Frejiah

It won’t happen but Naughton to CHB, Jamarra and Darcy our 2 talls.
Dale needs a spell, has been awful these first couple of games.
Tough on Duryea but he isn’t the future, need to start working out who might be in line for the future seasons.

Not sure we need wholesale changes. They're clearly working through gameplan changes - I'm for stability rather than constant 3/4 changes a week. We lost by 4 points, and 20 seconds longer we could have won (we had the ball and a break through the middle).

There's no chance VDM goes out, at all, he's one of the only two way runners we have. I think Daniel will lose his spot this week, he just looks a mile off it at the moment and he's being exposed and targeted too often. Macrae will keep the vest. I'd like English to focus on playing as Ruck, and not as a midfielder.

We certainly don't need to bring in unproven VFL players that have been on our list a couple of years. There's also no point bringing in Garcia who has been playing A grade midfield time to sit on our bench or to sit in a forward pocket. Like for like roles has to be the focus.

Out: Daniel
In: Harmes

Standing watch on Garcia & JOD in the VFL, who can come in if opportunities arise for the positions they've been playing in at VFL level (and any other listed player, including Lobb).

With no VFL this weekend just gone, I'm predicting no changes. One at the very most perhaps.

Whilst we are warm favorites vs the Bombers. It is a game I would not take lightly. Bombers are copping some heat this week. And we don't always put teams away when we should. Tipping a win. But will be disappointed if we don't win by a few goal. Got a lot of tough games ahead this season. Will need some percentage boosters.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back