Status
Not open for further replies.

tencentpiece

All Australian
Oct 18, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Club just posted this on Facebook:

The Carlton Football Club prides itself on being inclusive, and a leader in engendering equality and a deep sense of belonging.

The issue of 'same sex marriage' is essentially one of equality; and so the Club encourages all of its people to have their say in this important national vote.

As a Club, we respect that this is about personal choice, and as such don't intend to campaign on the issue, but we do strongly reinforce our Club's absolute commitment to equality - and a community that is free from any form of discrimination.

If you want to go there 10cp, I love the statement. It is a personal opinion and that is the way it should be. People can vote "no"or "yes," it is their choice.
I don't care what the AFL, NRL or anyone else are supporting with regards to this. It is a personal opinion, much like who you vote for at the election.

It has been put to the public because our government are too gutless to make a decision which better serves the people who live in their community, even if they may be a minority. I would be more upset with the club if they outed someone for their lifestyle choices. (As long as it is legal)

I emailed the club regarding exactly this a couple of days ago, encouraging them to get behind it.

I'm grateful that they've mentioned their 'absolute commitment to equality', but it is a fairly weak effort. If you are absolutely committed to equality, you give your support to the 'yes' vote - it's a no-brainer. People can still have their choice, but if you claim to stand for it, then stand for it!

I hope, I really hope, that one day we lose the conservative shackles that have restrained this club for decades.

"if you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor" Desmond Tutu

Last edited:
There's no need for the club to make any official stance. They strongly indicated which way they lean without making anyone feel out of place (ie people who are no voters).

I think it's a fair statement.

Of course not. It reads perfectly well to me.
Mountain.....................................Molehill.

The club is saying what it wants to say without pushing an agenda down our throats. We're a football club guys. Remember that.

Are you for real? Take your issue's elsewhere, this is a football club, not parliament house...

Sport is a power vehicle for positive change, we've already seen that with some degree with racism and it becoming unacceptable on the field and at the ground. The club has Carlton Pride and in my opinion this isn't a good enough response from the club to support and protect those members. I think if the issue was about your marriage you'd have a much different stance on the issue.

Much like you're entitled to your opinion about this issue, I'm entitled to mine about our club's response.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sport is a power vehicle for positive change, we've already seen that with some degree with racism and it becoming unacceptable on the field and at the ground. The club has Carlton Pride and in my opinion this isn't a good enough response from the club to support and protect those members. I think if the issue was about your marriage you'd have a much different stance on the issue.

Much like you're entitled to your opinion about this issue, I'm entitled to mine about our club's response.

Mate. It's a club. A club is made of many individuals.
Should the club be talking on behalf of all those individuals and then have the gall to tell us how to vote?

You haven't thought this through and it has nothing to do with my point of view on the topic at hand.

There's no need for the club to make any official stance. They strongly indicated which way they lean without making anyone feel out of place (ie people who are no voters).

I think it's a fair statement.
Sorry for the intrusion.

I think it's an excellent statement valuing everyone's opinion and not shoving their own opinions down the Carlton members and supporters throats when everyone is not going to inevitably agree with one another.

Well done to Carlton for remaining professional and neutral on this issue. I wish my club had done the same thing here and I say that reluctantly as a fellow arch-rival, but credit where it's due.

Maybe you should read statement carefully. Seems clear to me. Supports equality and everyone’s right to make there own decision

Seems fair & balanced to me or doesn’t it support your agenda?

Should the club be talking on behalf of all those individuals and then have the gall to tell us how to vote?

You haven't thought this through and it has nothing to do with my point of view on the topic at hand.

Yes, a club is made of many individuals. I think the club as a whole should be standing up for an issue that helps marginalized & vulnerable individuals. As I said, this is a basic human rights issue and I find it disconcerting that the club would issue a statement such as this where they say:

"The Carlton Football Club prides itself on being inclusive, and a leader in engendering equality and a deep sense of belonging"

And in the same breathe state they believe this is personal choice and won't campaign on the issue. You can't have your cake and eat it too. Of course I've thought this through, it's an issue that effects me and people that I love dearly. To say otherwise is frankly quite patronizing.

Yes, a club is made of many individuals. I think the club as a whole should be standing up for an issue that helps marginalized & vulnerable individuals. As I said, this is a basic human rights issue and I find it disconcerting that the club would issue a statement such as this where they say:

"The Carlton Football Club prides itself on being inclusive, and a leader in engendering equality and a deep sense of belonging"

And in the same breathe state they believe this is personal choice and won't campaign on the issue. You can't have your cake and eat it too. Of course I've thought this through, it's an issue that effects me and people that I love dearly. To say otherwise is frankly quite patronizing.

Have a look at the post I put forward above your last one and we'll have an honest say on it.

It has nothing to do with telling you how to vote. That is a defensive attitude. The club can reveal which side they stand for without telling you how to vote. It's a real disappointing effort and just reinforces how sadly conservative we still are.

Chillax and read between the lines, the above says: "we do strongly reinforce our Club's absolute commitment to equality".

Anyhoo, I've posted mine. Just remember that I love you all: straight, gay or in between.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back