News Clubs operating league-sanctioned drug testing program - Harley Balic’s Dad Speaks

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Statement

As well as being a signatory to World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) code via the Australian Football Anti-Doping Code, the AFL has an Illicit Drug Policy which has been in place since 2005, and at the core of the policy is a commitment to player wellbeing and welfare.

The AFL Illicit Drug Policy (IDP) is a policy that specifically deals with the use of illicit substances out of competition and is focussed on player health and well-being. The policy seeks to reduce substance use and drug-related harms for AFL players and aims to inform and rehabilitate players through education and intervention.

It exists alongside and in addition to the Australian Football Anti-Doping Code which covers prohibited substances including some illicit substances in competition as prescribed by the WADA prohibited list.

Urine tests conducted by doctors to determine if a player has used illicit substances are part of the AFL’s Illicit Drug Policy medical model and have been for some time.

Doctors may use those urine tests to obtain an immediate result to determine whether any illicit substance remains in a player’s system. This is normally conducted at the club or in the doctors consulting rooms.

If the test shows a substance is still in the players system, a doctor will take steps to prevent a player from taking part in either training and/or an AFL match both for their own health and welfare and because having illicit substances in your system on match day may be deemed performance enhancing and a breach of the Australian Football Anti-Doping Code (depending on the substance involved).

It is absolutely imperative that no doctor or club official should ever allow or encourage a player to take the field knowing they have recently taken an illicit substance that may be harmful to their health and/or may be deemed performance-enhancing (as many illicit substances are on match day).

We support the WADA code (as it applies to our sport through the Australian Football Anti-Doping Code) and support the fundamental premise on which it is founded that any player who takes the field with a performance-enhancing prohibited substance in their system should be treated in accordance with the Anti-Doping Code and face heavy sanctions.

The AFL observes that AFL players are not immune to the societal issues faced by young people with respect to illicit substances and also acknowledges that illicit drug use problems commonly co-occur with other mental health conditions.

While the AFL’s medical model involves a multidisciplinary healthcare management plan, the monitoring of players is highly confidential. A doctor or healthcare professional generally cannot disclose the nature of the clinical intervention or condition to others unless the player willingly consents.

We understand that the Illicit Drugs Policy can be improved and we are working with the AFLPA and players to improve the policy and the system to ensure we are better able to change the behaviours of players. But we are unapologetic about club and AFL doctors taking the correct steps to ensure that any player who they believe has an illicit substance in their system does not take part in any AFL match and that doctor patient confidentially is upheld and respected.

The AFL will always be required to make decisions which seek to balance competing rights and interests. The medical interests and welfare of players is a priority for the AFL given everything we know about the risks facing young people generally and those who play our game in particular.

Last edited:
I suspect the Demon hierarchy and AFL officials who kneecapped the club President slept a tad uneasily last night.

Glen much better.

Yet to see any of the Demon posters who steadfastly potted him admit they may have been wrong. When they do, it will be good win.
MFC/Goodwin - 1
Bartlett - 0

That's all that matters.

My take on this and I could be wrong as I have not gone into this in any depth but I've gotta say that the minority of AFL players that are involved in illicit drugs, it does seem apparent that it's in their best interests to take up the AFL voluntary testing as there's currently little or no retribution, as well as they are less of a chance of being picked up by Wada and being banned for a considerable amount of time out of the game. So it's my understanding, the reason that both the players and AFL want this policy is to prevent having players banned from the game for long periods but unfortunately it seems to have little to do with getting these young and for some, not so young footballers off using illicit drugs, in fact with the present system I don't see as a deterrent at all, with many players under the current system just taking the piss literally and getting away with it, with no one being any the wiser including the AFL coaches. This medical privacy issue just seems a farce, taking the mickey and masking the real issue..... for these guys are on hundreds of thousands of dollars and just having a good time by 'breaking the law' with no retribution in fines or penalties and for the very rare few that actually do suffer from heavy drug addiction then they should be treated with professional help and guidance accordingly.

Well said !!

There's something wrong with society when so many people feel pressured, either by others or the pressures/stresses of life, to take drugs.

I presume you dont drink or rely on caffeine - the former takes the life of 15 Australians every day through alcohol-related injury or disease. But yeah drugs are bad, even the ones that are virtually harmless.

My take on this and I could be wrong as I have not gone into this in any depth but I've gotta say that the minority of AFL players that are involved in illicit drugs, it does seem apparent that it's in their best interests to take up the AFL voluntary testing as there's currently little or no retribution, as well as they are less of a chance of being picked up by Wada and being banned for a considerable amount of time out of the game. So it's my understanding, the reason that both the players and AFL want this policy is to prevent having players banned from the game for long periods but unfortunately it seems to have little to do with getting these young and for some, not so young footballers off using illicit drugs, in fact with the present system I don't see as a deterrent at all, with many players under the current system just taking the piss literally and getting away with it, with no one being any the wiser including the AFL coaches. This medical privacy issue just seems a farce, taking the mickey and masking the real issue..... for these guys are on hundreds of thousands of dollars and just having a good time by 'breaking the law' with no retribution in fines or penalties and for the very rare few that actually do suffer from heavy drug addiction then they should be treated with professional help and guidance accordingly.
It was estimated in the early 2000s, 75% of the league were on drugs. Would not surprise me if in terms of illicit substances, this has not changed. What do they do all summer, in Europe, at the races? It’s Melbourne’s and indeed Australia’s greatest open secret now confirmed.

Couldn't disagree with you more. You're arguing semantics. The real reason it's done is to avoid being tested otherwise it wouldn't happen. The AFL are only concerned about their image. If it's designed to help players with their drug problem, then it isn't working, as the number of players have gone from a few to over 100. If players weren't pre tested, played and then got done for playing with drugs in their system and suspended, then it would probably have a far greater deterrent on players using drugs than the current system condoned by the AFL. Image, image, image.
Yes all about protecting the AFL brand

If it was only a very small handful of players Id expect the AFL would have thrown the under the bus to protect its brand. Enabling them to test to avoid a strike suggests its more than a few for mine.

When everyone realises the AFL is just a league and not the custodian of the sport (penny should be dropping by now?). The game seems prime for a breakaway league to be honest.
A breakaway league would kill the sport. It's a fantasy.

I suspect the Demon hierarchy and AFL officials who kneecapped the club President slept a tad uneasily last night.

Glen much better.

Yet to see any of the Demon posters who steadfastly potted him admit they may have been wrong. When they do, it will be good win. Leaders who squash people with genuine criticisms eventually become unstuck.
Glen’s vindication will come one day. Hopefully soon. He’s been dubbed a mad man despite the credible arguments he has raised.

wtf is the point of a 3-strike policy if you actively make people immune from it?

What a s**t show.

Why do AFL players get treated differently to any other job out there? 3 strikes is more than anyone else would get in their normal job.
Why should they be tested at all? When was the illicit drugs policy implemented? Could it be the only reason the AFL tests for illicit drugs at all is for this exact purpose, ie to identify players who still have illicit drugs but not PEDs in their system and ensure they don't play on game day when a positive test could see a 2-4 year ban?

It’s a way of avoiding the ‘official’ tests and reducing the risk of getting a strike or getting busted on game day.

Sure they aren’t playing if they are a risk of failing, but it’s literately designed to avoid the system that is in place.

I cannot imagine WADA (or who ever) would in anyway consider this to be something they are happy about. It just completely lacks integrity.

It’s self serving either way - the club/player like it because they avoid risking a ban, the league like it because they avoid the negative press, which is ultimately what they care about above all else.
Integrity and the AFL is a perfect example of a Oxymoron.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When everyone realises the AFL is just a league and not the custodian of the sport (penny should be dropping by now?). The game seems prime for a breakaway league to be honest.
I think the issue is that since the dissolution of the ANFC the AFL effectively are the custodian of the sport whether we like it or not. They control the rules and change them on a whim to suit $$$ and broadcasting deals.

Re-establishing an independent Aussie Rules Commission (and Umpiring Body underneath it while we're at it) would be the best place to start.

I think the issue is that since the dissolution of the ANFC the AFL effectively are the custodian of the sport whether we like it or not. They control the rules and change them on a whim to suit $$$ and broadcasting deals.

Re-establishing an independent Aussie Rules Commission (and Umpiring Body underneath it while we're at it) would be the best place to start.
Independent being the key word.
Could we trust the AFL to set up a independent commission?

Independent being the key word.
Could we trust the AFL to set up a independent commission?
1711613205605.png 1711613222083.png

Couldn't trust them to run a chook raffle. I mean the people that control the SPORT as it exists, not the league but the entire identity of Australian rules football are situated in the same building as the league - the CEO of which who stands the most to gain from manipulating the game for $$$ and "watchability" purposes gets to sit in and have a say (and I'm sure good sway) on everything tabled.

Forget meaningless culture war over Vic-Bias or interstate privileges, this is really where it starts separating the game from the league. From there onwards we will finally have real custodians of the game rather than people exploiting the trust the original ANFC gave by voting themselves out of exisitence.

People need to remember that nothing has changed in terms of what motivates the AFL.

Only money counts. The only reason they care about any of this stuff is the potential impact on money - funding from government, sponsors, share of gambling revenue, TV rights. Nothing will change if none of these things change.

So if you want to see things change:
1. Stop/reduce going to games
2. Stop/reduce subscribing to fox/kayo listening to AFL media
3. Stop/reduce buying memberships
4. Stop/reduce gambling
5. Stop/reduce purchase of advertisers products - start with the major advertisers and let them know why - as in "I'm not buying your product because you sponsor the AFL"

The consumer here has the ultimate power over their spending dollar, use it if you want to see change.

We all want to support our teams, but I suspect many have lost interest in supporting the AFL more broadly and simply no longer trust the AFL. So reduce things to a bare minimum, whatever that is for you. Either that or put up with the AFL's bs.

People need to remember that nothing has changed in terms of what motivates the AFL.

Only money counts. The only reason they care about any of this stuff is the potential impact on money - funding from government, sponsors, share of gambling revenue, TV rights. Nothing will change if none of these things change.

So if you want to see things change:
1. Stop/reduce going to games
2. Stop/reduce subscribing to fox/kayo listening to AFL media
3. Stop/reduce buying memberships
4. Stop/reduce gambling
5. Stop/reduce purchase of advertisers products - start with the major advertisers and let them know why - as in "I'm not buying your product because you sponsor the AFL"

The consumer here has the ultimate power over their spending dollar, use it if you want to see change.

We all want to support our teams, but I suspect many have lost interest in supporting the AFL more broadly and simply no longer trust the AFL. So reduce things to a bare minimum, whatever that is for you. Either that or put up with the AFL's bs.
Yep. Goes right through to even recent areas they've addressed like concussions. Just covering their asses 10-20 years from now for the $100M of damages/fees of future litigation, ironically some of the only future planning they seem to be handy with.

Who feels that this saga is appropriate for the AFL as a Custodian on the Sport of Australian Rules Football?

Do Andy D, Gillon and now Dillon all think that we should be managing all grades of football this way?
That as officials we should be saying to young Jimmy and Sarah "look, I don't really care that you've told me you're doing drugs, as long as you're not playing today. Oh and we keep it our secret yeah, don't want to jeopardise our council grants for upgrading the changerooms."

to identify players who still have illicit drugs but not PEDs in their system and ensure they don't play on game day when a positive test could see a 2-4 year ban?

Odds are they probably do have PEDs in their system but they aren’t being tested for when you do a basic drug/cocaine test. Especially if they are $12 tests…

Many athletes have lost their careers to PEDs like Clenbuterol being laced with cocaine. I doubt these mid week tests are actually testing for clenbuterol but only the common illicit substances.

Clenbuterol can stay in your system for up to 10 days by some studies. The AFL faking injuries mid week, ensuring they don’t get WADA tested on gameday is likely also resulting in them not getting positive results for these PEDs when in fact they are consuming them. They are just skipping the testing due to this system.

Good chance a number of players have taken these type of PEDs but since they have been removed from testing for this, they are circumventing it.

By circumventing testing, the AFL are likely also allowing and turning a blind eye to PEDs.

I presume you dont drink or rely on caffeine - the former takes the life of 15 Australians every day through alcohol-related injury or disease. But yeah drugs are bad, even the ones that are virtually harmless.
You know I'm not talking about that kind of drug.

Odds are they probably do have PEDs in their system but they aren’t being tested for when you do a basic drug/cocaine test. Especially if they are $12 tests…

Many athletes have lost their careers to PEDs like Clenbuterol being laced with cocaine. I doubt these mid week tests are actually testing for clenbuterol but only the common illicit substances.

Clenbuterol can stay in your system for up to 10 days by some studies. The AFL faking injuries mid week, ensuring they don’t get WADA tested on gameday is likely also resulting in them not getting positive results for these PEDs when in fact they are consuming them. They are just skipping the testing due to this system.

Good chance a number of players have taken these type of PEDs but since they have been removed from testing for this, they are circumventing it.

By circumventing testing, the AFL are likely also allowing and turning a blind eye to PEDs.
Would the AFL rather the headline for PEDs or keep it quiet, off the books, and out of the general public’s minds?

The ACT Government has Australia’s first fixed-site health and drug checking service as a six-month pilot. The drugs you buy aren't always what you think. Check out the monthly results at the bottom of this page. Very interesting.

Last edited:
The ACT Government has Australia’s first fixed-site health and drug checking service as a six-month pilot. The drugs you buy aren't always what you think. Check out the monthly results at the bottom of this page. Very interesting.

Bloody hell flicked through a few of the monthly reports coke purity testing in some months between 5-10 per cent and others 5- 81 per cent !! That would be a shock to the system.
Might not be coke is the sole issue but all the other associated crap that's mixed with it doesn't help.

You need to grasp that recreational drugs can be masking agents …and the whole point is that there is a system in place aided by doctors in avoiding drug tests all together

They can still be tested if they don’t play. If they are using coke to mask peds then surely there is a higher risk they’ll test positive to peds when coke isn’t in their system.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back