Coaches discussing umpiring in conferences. Is it, or should it be allowed?

Remove this Banner Ad

Why would the AFL go to him?
If he has a problem he goes to the AFL.

Then the AFL get all the coaches and have a discussion.
Well, that’s up to the afl then.
But so what anyway? Scott raised perfectly reasonable issues in his presser- he didn’t undermine, he didn’t actually sook- just had a rational discussion about it. He acknowledged yet again how difficult it is to umpire our game. Why shouldn’t coaches have input?

Meh, the umpiring is so bad right now, due in part to the endless and confusing rule changes (STAND! It’s like they are talking to a misbehaving dog, surely over the mark was enough?) I’d be happy for the club to cop the $5k fine. But it’s shits me when one coach gets away with it and others don’t.

Why not? Umpiring is part of the game so I see no reason it shouldn't be discussed if done in the correct way.
Most coaches won't discuss it as a) it can be taken as a whinge or excuses and b) umpires watch these things and it may result in less favourable treatment next time they umpire that team.

I thought what Scott said was bang on the money and respectful. He wasn't criticising umpires but rather they way they have been instructed to umpire and he made valid points. I was never a Chris Scott fan but the more I hear from him lately, the more I respect him. Some things need to be called out and he isn't afraid to do it.

Which says it all about the AFL.
Absolutely

Doesn’t mean I'm not enjoying it though. We weren't getting any sympathy from others when the umpires would pay us back when Clarkson would call out the adjudication of HTB

Scott learning a valuable lesson tonight. Don't criticise umpires in post match press conferences

Wasn't it meant to go the other way last night though? The corrupt Geelong cheer squad at AFL House was going to pay a record number of frees to Geelong?

Don't like this stuff from Scott or anyone in post match press conferences. It is just a waste of time to worry about specific umpiring decisions that went against you, when there's so many poor decisions and executions by players that contributed more to the result and that you can somewhat control. And in the press conference it just seems like sour grapes.

If it's a broader, interpretation thing on why is a particular infringement being judged this way or that way consistently this season, I think it's fine to meet privately with the relevant people in charge of umpiring during the season to discuss it.

Geelong's game plan is very strong on forcing turnovers and hurting the opposition on the rebound. When one source of turnovers, namely HTB/illegal disposal, dries up completely because the umps refuse to pay them then that's a significant handicap. You've got this weird situation where Geelong tacklers are hesitant to bring the player to ground because of the whole head knock thing, umps are giving the guy with the ball an eternity to get rid of it, and then they refuse to pay incorrect disposal for throws, scoops, rugby passes, and just dropping it on the ground.

All year we just haven't been getting paid those, though the umps have always been red-hot on paying them when it's a Geelong player caught with the ball. Kane Cornes alluded to it as early as round 3 when he mentioned how odd it is for a team to tackle as much as Geelong do and get exactly zero HTB decisions their way. It's the primary reason Geelong lost the free kick count every week for the first eight rounds.

Round 9 was the first time since late last year that we came out ahead in the free kick count, and do you know why? It took the big screen showing a Port player spun 360 degrees and then allowed to scoop-throw the ball to a teammate one-handed, along with 30,000 irate Geelong fans chanting "buuuulllllshiiiit.... buuullllshiiiit", to make the umpires awake to it. This was shortly before half time and, wonder of wonders, we actually did get a handful of HTB decisions our way in the 2nd half. Probably as many as we'd had for the whole season leading up to that point.

If getting called out publicly is the only way to prod the umpires into doing their jobs, then I'm all for it. In an ideal world that wouldn't be necessary, but the AFL aren't going to step in are they?
This is nothing new for the rest of the comp though.

A few years ago there was a hawks v bulldogs game where the hawks laid 105 tackles and were paid 1 free kick for HTB.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Consistency in game is all I want. Pay the same things both ways. Change the interpretations between games for all I care just umpire both teams in the game the same way.

Best they don't do it.

Banning them from criticising them seemed Heavey handed, until you saw the NRL coaches whinge about it every week.

I think umpiring clarifications should be taken up with the AFL umpiring body separately, not mentioned after the game. It could become a sneaky way to bag them out.

If the coaches feel they want to have a broader discussion in that it affects how they coach, it affects fans' expectations; then do that in a weekday forum like AFL360 or something

If clubs or coaches have a grievance with umpiring, or umpires in particular, they have avenues through the AFL in which to do this. Press conferences are neither the time nor the place.
They are the best place, because if it is a legitimate issue or concern raised, it puts it into the public spot light and generates healthy discussion.

He was very respectful and articulate around his concerns over the confusion around htb

Remove this Banner Ad

Back