MagpieGirl_13

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2007
Regional Queensland
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
ATW Eagles: 08 PREMIERS!!
I don't know much about Collingwood history & I was wondering if people could give me some ideas on different books etc. that I could buy... (& where).
It might provide for some interesting holiday reading.

I got given the Official Collingwood illustrated encyclopedia for christmas, it has history on the club, it's premierships champion players and an in depth view of each decade of the clubs existance. Among other things, the one i have was from 2004 though so it does not have more recent years but i enjoy reading about it.:thumbsu: I don't know my uncle bought it from however. It is especially good because if i forget something i can just look it up, its next to my screen as we speak lol.

There's plenty to choose from.

The CFC Encyclopedia circa 2004
Gavin Brown's autobiography
Pants
Collingwood and Me - Peter Daicos
The Brian Taylor Diaries
Kill for Collingwood
The Magpie Years 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996 and 1997 (I have all, excellent accounts of each season)
The Centenary Book circa 1992, forgotten the title
Collingwood: The Untold Story (Al McAllistair)
Collingwood at Victoria Park
Hear the Barrackers a shouting
Bucks - the Nathan Buckley video circa 1999

An awesome page for club history: http://www.magpies.net/nick/club.php

And obviously here as well - I've updated the club history section inc. rivals: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collingwood_Football_Club

Hope this helps - by far and away the most fascinating club there is.

MagpieGirl 13 apart from all the great books that are out there about Collingwood like "The Darren Millane Story' and "Collingwood Forever" by Gavin Brown there is also a book that I picked up some years ago that gives a little bit of history about Collingwood (the suburb/town) as well as a very comprehensive history of the footy club. It also tells (amongst other things) about how we lobbied for and managed to get Carlton into the VFL despite the opposition from many other clubs (its' that pity thing just like letting them have Judd I guess) Anyway I digress, the book is "Kill for Collingwood" by R. Stremski published in 1986 by Allen and Unwin Australia P/L and I highly recommend it.
PS I was going to warn you about those Carlton supporters but once you told them that you are 15 not 13 that probably scared them off anyway.

'Kill For Collingwood' is fantastic. I got it off ebay for $20 last year and it was well worth it. It is very detailed about the clubs formation, why everyone hates us, the characters such as Wren, McHale, etc. and also documents the rise of the VFL.

I got given the Official Collingwood illustrated encyclopedia for christmas, it has history on the club, it's premierships champion players and an in depth view of each decade of the clubs existance. Among other things, the one i have was from 2004 though so it does not have more recent years but i enjoy reading about it.:thumbsu: I don't know my uncle bought it from however. It is especially good because if i forget something i can just look it up, its next to my screen as we speak lol.

I just inherited this book from my friend's mother, who died recently at 88. She'd been a Pie supporter all her life. It's a terrific book. It really conveys the sense of the Collingwood tradition.
Good reading.

'Kill For Collingwood' is fantastic. I got it off ebay for $20 last year and it was well worth it. It is very detailed about the clubs formation, why everyone hates us, the characters such as Wren, McHale, etc. and also documents the rise of the VFL.

"Kill for Collingwood" is a brilliant book. I bought it as a new release when it first came out. Very thorough, well written and a great read.

The CFC Encyclopedia is a good read, as well as "Collingwood Forever" the biography of Gavin Brown...therre was also another book out called "The Machine" about the Four Time premiers I heard that was a good read as well.

I was reading The Brian Taylor Diaries as it was my uncles until he gave it to my dad and it gave a good look at 1990 and the years under Matthews while Taylor was at Collingwood.

I was reading The Brian Taylor Diaries as it was my uncles until he gave it to my dad and it gave a good look at 1990 and the years under Matthews while Taylor was at Collingwood.

did it give the reason as to why BT was left out of the grand final team, i remeber being told it was because of something he sauid to the endia but i have no idea what it was

From memory (and it's only memory haven't read it in awhile) there was some heat between he and Matthews, and maybe that lead to the decision. There were some shots at a training regime he had the team on, at the start of the 1991 pre-season, and he reckoned they were pushed hard during that period.

Not a Collingwood history book exactly, but I highly recommend "Rose Boys" by Bobby's 2nd son Peter. You don't have to like Collingwood, or even football to be deeply moved by this wonderful book. Suffice to say its all about the tragedy of Bobby's eldest son Robert. I'm not the type to revere people simply because they are very good at kicking the pigskin around the park, but Bobby Rose was a very admirable human being....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think that the player books are really what she's looking for.

The Illustrated Encyclopedia is the best as far as history goes. All-time stats leaders (accurate as of 2004 not much has changed except Buckley overtook Shaw and Coventry as the games as captain), a page of information on every initial hall of fame member and team of century member. A section about famous families. A lot about the general history. Every Premiership, a section on every decade, information about major Collingwood stories (Ron Todd to Williamstown defection, Tuddy/Thommo strike, the Greening incident), magpie icons (the jumper, Vic Park) and more.

Now that Christmas is over I have made up my mind, I have decided to buy the Collingwood Illustrated Encyclopedia. & I think I will also buy the 2007 In B&W magazine (year book thingo). Thanks for all your help everyone:thumbsu:

Excuse the intrusion. I’m a one time Big Footy addict. Now I just lurk and read Jen’s training reports. Not strictly a history but this tongue in cheek fans’ memoir should be something many of you can relate to. Available on Apple Books, Amazon and Google. Go Pies.

https://books.apple.com/us/book/tortured-tales-of-a-collingwood-tragic/id6478998911

Remove this Banner Ad

Back