Cookie

Club Legend
May 2, 2004
Right in front of you
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
CreweAlex,SF Giants,Detroit Lions
I'm sorry Bruce for calling you all those horrible names, for throwing things at my TV, for using profanities when you mentioned the word "special", for questioning your sexuality when you spoke of Cyril. I'm truly sorry.
But you have to come back and get rid of BT, Brayshaw, Darcy, Watson, and the squawking budgie Pearce.
Come back, Bruce.
Please.

The Office No GIF

Agreed

But what do we have now 🥶

Fantastic GF ruined for eternity
Re your last bit. Not really. I got a d/l of one of our finals a few years back. BT and Brawshaw did the commentary. I stripped out the audio from the file and then dubbed in the ABC radio call of the game.
Worked a treat.

It would be great to see Bruce return to commentate AFL games but it is probably unlikely. Even if he wanted to return, 7 have clearly shown a preference for commentators that muck around and Bruce is not that.

90's/early 00's Bruce was good but after that he became an insufferable fanboy who barracked for what he wanted to happen rather than call what was in front of him. Absolutely no better than the current crop at all.

Dennis on the other hand, was an elite caller right up until the end of his career. He had the elegance, the vocabulary, he saw the game exceptionally well and he didn't get involved in the back slapping boys club.

It would be great to see Bruce return to commentate AFL games but it is probably unlikely. Even if he wanted to return, 7 have clearly shown a preference for commentators that muck around and Bruce is not that.

Also when Bruce was commentating, Taylor and Brayshaw would straighten up whereas now they feed off each other's b****** and think we all want their MMM schtick.

In the 90s he was one of the the best ever. If you watch replays of finals from then you can appreciate now how good he really was.

I‘m confused as to why he retired from calling AFL.

He citied illness and fatigue which is fair enough, but now I see him every second day hosting the horse racing, olympics, Soccer World Cup etc…

I‘m confused as to why he retired from calling AFL.

He citied illness and fatigue which is fair enough, but now I see him every second day hosting the horse racing, olympics, Soccer World Cup etc…
Every second day?

The FIFA Women’s World Cup was a one-off

The Olympics were over two years ago and Seven no longer holds the rights

And Seven’s horse racing coverage lasts about a month

So he has hardly been a fixture on our screens since he retired from calling the AFL

90's/early 00's Bruce was good but after that he became an insufferable fanboy who barracked for what he wanted to happen rather than call what was in front of him. Absolutely no better than the current crop at all.

Dennis on the other hand, was an elite caller right up until the end of his career. He had the elegance, the vocabulary, he saw the game exceptionally well and he didn't get involved in the back slapping boys club.

Absolutely. I thought he was horrendous and cringeworthy from very, very early on. And he got progressively worse.

Completely agree that current commentary is atrocious (with a couple of rare exceptions); but the blueprint was laid by this creepy tosser. Very glad he's gone and don't want him back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm sorry Bruce for calling you all those horrible names, for throwing things at my TV, for using profanities when you mentioned the word "special", for questioning your sexuality when you spoke of Cyril. I'm truly sorry.
But you have to come back and get rid of BT, Brayshaw, Darcy, Watson, and the squawking budgie Pearce.
Come back, Bruce.
Please.

Post-2007 Bruce is the worst TV footy commentator I have seen in my lifetime to date.

Would take the entire current crop before him.

Disagree that Dennis was elite to the end. I found that his last few years were him trying to get as many "Comettisms" into games as possible. But I believe this was more of the fault of the 7 producers, who are destroying the telecast.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back