Opinion Commentary & Media VII

Remove this Banner Ad

Stupid comment at the start considering other clubs (including the big ones) have had waaaaaaay more handouts, including pick #1 multiple times.

But i like the second part. Anything that helps with development, depth and experience for a young team would be much better and palatable than handing out more draft picks to struggling clubs.

Even if its just to play in the twos to set standards or participate in training.

We don't need any more shitty players. We seem to be able to accumulate those without the AFL's assistance.

It's such a dishonest take.

Why would opposition Clubs care if the best talent was coming to this Club if we're so crap?

It means less talent going to their true competitors.

The truth is, there wouldn't a recruiting guy around who doesn't see the potential of guys like Wardlaw, Sheezel, McKercher ( a likely rising star nom this week) and Duursma maturing together in the same team.

Throw in Brayden George who was touted as a top end pick before his knee.

Self interest in wolf clothing.

Cornhole Francis has called it

George W will be the next Captain
That's not entirely stupid although it would not be likely until 2026. The other person who would have to be in line is Sheez.

I would always prefer to see a captain being one of the blokes who's in the guts or on the ball.

That's not entirely stupid although it would not be likely until 2026. The other person who would have to be in line is Sheez.

I would always prefer to see a captain being one of the blokes who's in the guts or on the ball.
Capt VC. Whatever order.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What's good for the goose and all that.

Can someone remind me why someone like Barrett gets a prime TV gig like the Sunday Footy Show?

A former player who can bring his insights into what's required to play at the elite level? He ain't that.

A handsome, debonair raconteur type that brings a certain polish to a program which is well stocked with rock apes? That certaintly ain't him.

A top line, hard hitting and award winning journalist who breaks the really big stories because of the trust and esteem in which he's held within the industry? Nope, misses there to.

Is he mates with someone?

Is that it?

Happy to be corrected on this, recall reading something years ago.... but as I understood when Toyota signed up as a primary AFL sponsor, they didn't want to compete with other car companies, so clubs were not allowed to sign 'new' deals with other car companies. The exception was if they already were. North's Mazda relationship predates Toyota so we could keep them.

Also, if Mazda step away from us they can't sponsor another AFL club. I suppose the logic follows that as long as Mazda want to be involved in the AFL, they have to stick by us.... Until Toyota pulls the pin.

As said could well be wrong but the vague memory is there....

Unfortunately this isn't true, although I've read this on BigFooty plenty of times over the years. As per The Wookie, when I asked him about it over on the Footy Industry board:

Its emphatically bullshit. By the time its current deal is done the Toyota league sponsorship will be 24 years old, commencing in 2003, with league naming rights starting in 2004.

In that time

possibly even more that ive missed, but i think ive made my point.

It seems to always happen to us.

Because we get the absolute dregs of the umpiring department.
The ones that absolutely make up s**t that isn’t there.

In the space of 5 mins we had LDU called for OOF when Steele whacked it out with his hand and a holding call on Zurhaar that wasn’t there. 2 decisions that resulted in goals and got St Kilda rolling.

They just make up s**t when we play because they know there won’t be a backlash. They wouldn’t dream of it if it was a big club.

The ones that absolutely make up s**t that isn’t there.

In the space of 5 mins we had LDU called for OOF when Steele whacked it out with his hand and a holding call on Zurhaar that wasn’t there. 2 decisions that resulted in goals and got St Kilda rolling.

They just make up s**t when we play because they know there won’t be a backlash. They wouldn’t dream of it if it was a big club.
True but we also got two soft frees for goals and Corr I think absolutely clattered into King without taking the ball and nothing was called.

We definitely had the worst of it yesterday but also benefited from some s**t umpiring.

True but we also got two soft frees for goals and Corr I think absolutely clattered into King without taking the ball and nothing was called.

We definitely had the worst of it yesterday but also benefited from some s**t umpiring.
My point was that they are just making s**t up.

We have a game now where an umpire makes a call on what they call interpretation.

Any sport that has a set of rules that can be interpreted multiple ways is a fail on the rules component. Rules should be black and white and not up for interpretation.

My point was that they are just making s**t up.

We have a game now where an umpire makes a call on what they call interpretation.

Any sport that has a set of rules that can be interpreted multiple ways is a fail on the rules component. Rules should be black and white and not up for interpretation.
It allows them to never be wrong.

And on the very, very rare occasions they are, they issue an apology that counts for absolutely nothing.

This is fantasy in a sport like AFL.
Then it shows that the wrong rules are in place.

Anything that can be called two different ways and said to be right in both instances is a massive fail.

The holding the ball rule is a prime example. If you are tackled and fail to dispose of the ball legally it should be holding the ball. The fact that they bring in an interpretation that you made an attempt is wrong.

Incorrect disposal is incorrect disposal. It’s black and white.

If the player has had insufficient prior that shouldn’t absolve them from having to dispose of the ball correctly. If the rule is simplified, then half the throwing s**t we see will disappear. Players now intentionally take a tackle and throw it to a teammate.

Last edited:
Cornhole Francis has called it

George W will be the next Captain

I don’t normally like the co-captains approach, but wouldn’t be averse to it with Sheez and Warlord. Couple of reasons:-
  • whoever gets it will/should get it younger than normal, so not a bad idea to share the load
  • sheez for the polish and a bit more of the media captains obligations, and Warlord (as much as I also love his straight talking) more for the inspirational on field moments a-la Schimma and (don’t shoot me) Selwood
  • they clearly have a huge rapore, so they’d make it work well together

Remove this Banner Ad

Back