Opinion Commentary & Media VII

Remove this Banner Ad

Time for a story...

About rings.

Was at a work meeting in the late 1990s which may have been to do with Y2K remediation or similar. We had USA partners from the IT supplier and their project leaders delivering the state of readiness. Things were getting hot as several pieces of work were behind schedule. Then the big one... A major setback related to one of the most critical systems. The Americans didn't even expect this and they had big $$$ penalty clauses at risk.

After some bad responses to tough questions, one of the American guys stands up and bangs the table with his fist to make an impression on us in the room...

The angle of his fist striking edge of the the table resulted in his college Basketball championship ring, which was an outrageously huge big lump of metal and jewels, buckling and digging into his finger. He almost went into shock with the pain. He had to be taken to hospital for the ring to be removed from his broken finger!

So, championship rings are stupid.

Time for a story...

About rings.

Was at a work meeting in the late 1990s which may have been to do with Y2K remediation or similar. We had USA partners from the IT supplier and their project leaders delivering the state of readiness. Things were getting hot as several pieces of work were behind schedule. Then the big one... A major setback related to one of the most critical systems. The Americans didn't even expect this and they had big $$$ penalty clauses at risk.

After some bad responses to tough questions, one of the American guys stands up and bangs the table with his fist to make an impression on us in the room...

The angle of his fist striking edge of the the table resulted in his college Basketball championship ring, which was an outrageously huge big lump of metal and jewels, buckling and digging into his finger. He almost went into shock with the pain. He had to be taken to hospital for the ring to be removed from his broken finger!

Brilliant.

Time for a story...

About rings.

An adult man wearing a ring from winning a college sport to work. Don’t want to say he deserved the pain, exactly, but sheesh.

Hi guys. Love the show. First time caller, long time listener. Does anyone else think North Melbourne should have lost against Gold Coast last year in the last game. I’m pretty sure if we lost, we would have come last and got pick 1. They could have got Harvey Reed with that pick. And why do we keep picking Stevenson. He is soft. Anyhow, I’ll jump off the line and let you boys discuss.

Hi guys. Love the show. First time caller, long time listener. Does anyone else think North Melbourne should have lost against Gold Coast last year in the last game. I’m pretty sure if we lost, we would have come last and got pick 1. They could have got Harvey Reed with that pick. And why do we keep picking Stevenson. He is soft. Anyhow, I’ll jump off the line and let you boys discuss.
Somewhere out in the world Jamie Stevenson just felt a cold shiver run down his back.

I don't know if this is the right thread, but my partner sent me this
Screenshot_20240508-112012.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240508-112012.png
    Screenshot_20240508-112012.png
    314 KB · Views: 39
I don't know if this is the right thread, but my partner sent me this
View attachment 1982698
For me it should read Teams, besides North's current woes:
My English soccer team, Carlisle were relegated winning only 7 of 46 games. :(
My Scottish soccer team, Ross County is currently in a relegation battle. :(
And my NRL team, Parramatta are in the bottom 6 and only 4pts off the bottom. :(

It has been a really depressing 2024 to date with only one or two moments of joy. :(

I'm a Forest Green fan so I share your pain. Hopefully you don't do the double relegation after falling out of L1 like we've just done.
I must admit I was really surprised to see Forest Green struggle the way they have over the last two seasons, they won the League Two title in 2021/22 and were building a very competitive team, and I think they were also building a new stadium, so I thought they had a really solid future in the EFL, but something must have happened because they have imploded since.

I hope Carlisle doesn't follow in FG's footsteps, hopefully our new owners will ensure that doesn't happen.

Why did he bring Phillips into it?? Weird.
I was listening to this on the way home from work. Hodge called him out saying he didn't apply the same level of scrutiny for *** as he would if it were say a North Melbourne player. But rather than argue his point or even in the highly unlikely event acknowledge that Hodge was right, the fact that Hodge mentioned us Kane took this as an opportunity for a non-sequitur and have a go at Phillips saying he was playing in the reserves and he doesn't even get many kicks it's more handballs. If it were anyone else it would be odd but because it's Cornes he's learnt from the very best in Caro that there is no leap too far to wedge North Melbourne into a negative conversation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Time for a story...

About rings.

I'm gonna go with Americans are stupid instead.

Yeah, man. Total mystery....

View attachment 1982766
Nah. I reckon he was mostly fair before Clarko at North.

To be honest I just think Hodge is pretty old school. Respects the game, respects players that go hard at the ball, respects the sport and history - doesn't respect the BS and media beat up nonsense rife across the sport.

Just my 2c.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back