Community Shield

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by Shinboners

Manchester United changed their club crest in the late 60s, and a few years ago, they removed the words "FOOTBALL CLUB" from the crest. Cynics like me reckon that given a few more years, the name "Manchester" will also be removed so as to leave the simple brand name, "UNITED".

I can picture that...:( I have the 1997 shirt that has the complete 'Manchester United Football Club' on it, but my newer kits all bear the simple 'Manchester United' logo.

I just fear that clubs will lose all tradition in favour of all of this corporate nonsense. I mean, a simple crest change is fine, but when a crest is totally refurbished is when it gets me down. That new Arsenal one, while maintaining the basic structure of the old one, just looks 'modern' and corporate!

Originally posted by clucas91

Thanks guys, I think that the new crest looks really cheesy.

No kidding, Clucas. And with all due respect for tradition here-- after all, there's the Arsenal red and the "Gunners" cannon-- there are some MLS logos that look better than this. Such as that of the San Jose Earthquakes, for example. ;)

The 'Quakes, it should be mentioned, did base their uniform and shield styles from the Arsenal traditions when they revamped their schemes a few years ago. Of course, Nike had a considerable influence on that as well...

Personally, I'm a sucker for the old stuff.

Cheers,
William

Yeah, Arsenal changed their logo after losing a court case with an unofficial merchandise vendor outside Highbury. They've managed to p|ss off most of their fans with the new design. Not only does the cannon face the 'wrong' way, but they've ditched the latin motto - "Victory through harmony"

Other clubs to do this in the last 2-3 years are Fulham, Man U (although a fan backlash has meant that the words Football Club should return to the logo) Man City (faux italian style) and Leeds.

Don't like it, but it does give me another reason to hate the way the Premiership is heading.

Just my quick thoughts.

- The new away strip looked sh*te.

- Diouf could be nothing and could be anything. I thought he was better in the 2nd half when pushed out a little wider so he was running at the defence. However, he needs to concentrate on the game more, the luck will come his way.

- Gerrard, Owen and Heskey looked very rusty.

- Didn't get to see enough of Baros and Cheyrou to comment on them.

- Arsenal looked very good indeed. Their speed was sensational.

- The Cardiff pitch was rubbish, should have been much better than that.

- We still need Damien Duff. However, at least Riise is looking more likely to play up at left midfield. So long as Traore can hold down left back we can use Babbel at right back and Carragher can fill either side, along with Xavier.

- Vieria is still a dog. Definite penalty. But we didn't deserve to win.

Well done Arsenal, let's get the real stuff started!

Owen and Heskey looked very rusty
Spot on. Both looked like they needed a few more games to get back their form now that the WC has been and gone.

We still need Damien Duff
Please stay Damien. Please stay Damien. Please stay Damien.

I was thinking it would be 2-1, to Arsenal, but with both teams stilll trying to gel together, a lower scoreline was probably more likely.

I enjoyed watching some of the "stars" such as Sol Campbell, Henry, and of course Owen for the first time in a while, oh and I left out Les Murray. What a thrill it was to hear his voice in Soccer mode again.

Originally posted by moomba

Man City changed theirs a few seasons ago for the same reason, and I would guess that there would be plenty more clubs having to make a decision in the next few years. It's a shame, but there is so much money involved these days, and I guess it's just a sign of the way the game is now.

Moomba

I'm pretty sure the late Peter Swales owned the old crest & that one kinda died with him I think. While I think the new one looks great, I miss the old one because of the traditon attached to it & the fact it said Manchester City F.C. instead of just M.C.F.C.

Not a huge problem but a bit sad.

Originally posted by The Hitman

Might have spend a lot of money on one of the signings, but unless Jod is suggesting that Rio alone will win us the title, I think it's obvious he doesn't have a f*cking clue what he is talking about. Rio couldn't win Leeds a title or a trophy (hell, they DROPPED in form while he was there), does he honestly expect us to win thanks to that one signing?

Just needed to set BandwagonerJod straight.

The Hitman

How about you get down off your high horse there Hitman! What makes you think I'm a bandwagoner?? If I was, I would be a Man U fan or an Arsenal fan seen as those two clubs have had the most success recently. But I'm not, I'm a Liverpool fan through and through.

Rio is just about the best defender in England along with Campbell so you could say that was a major signing, also considering he was still contracted with Leeds. Rio will go a long way to helping you win back the title, you werent far away last year with a leaky defence, now with Rio in the lineup...well you have almost bought the premiership back.

Never read a post of yours Hitter that has been so ... nasty??

Originally posted by jod23

How about you get down off your high horse there Hitman! What makes you think I'm a bandwagoner?? If I was, I would be a Man U fan or an Arsenal fan seen as those two clubs have had the most success recently. But I'm not, I'm a Liverpool fan through and through.

Forgotten Liverpool's plastic treble already, hey Jod?

Originally posted by moomba

I am not sure but I think Arsenal have never owned the coyright of the original badge. Because of that they were losing a cut of all merchandise sales that had the badge on it. I am sure one of resident gunners will know a bit more about the reasonings.

Moomba

Yeah that's the reason.

I like a bit of tradition but in defence of the Arsenal board we haven't had the same badge for our whole history, (nor have we had the same name,Dial Square,Woolwich Arsenal, The Arsenal,Arsenal) it has changed a few times & the cannon did used to point the same way as it does now before they changed the direction for the last crest.

I used to like the old crest & what i do object to is picking some sh*tty design like the new one that looks like some 8 year old won a competition to design it.It's crap & pretty embarassing in my opinion & the new kit is a bit iffy as well, especially the away one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by GOALden Hawk
Just my quick thoughts.

- Vieria is still a dog. Definite penalty. But we didn't deserve to win.

B]

Don't mind the Gunners, but definitely agree Vieira is a dog. Very quick to snarl at opponents, but if anyone touches him he squeals like a girl. I can only hope he gets a bit of 'hurry up' this season and teams play hard, physical players on him who won't let him dwell on the ball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back