Mod. Notice Competitions: READ BEFORE POSTING A COMPETITION

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe just more muddling, but next year, there'll be an Allies side in the under 18s. Tassie, NSW, et al will still exist, they'll just compete earlier. Then a best-of side'll be made up to play WA, SA, and the Victorian sides.

I think competitions are worse when they're longer. People feel less inclined to have a go because they figure there'll be a chance later. And then six weeks later, everyone's sort of burnt out. Maybe a schedule like this could be alright, inspired by Bryce_Jersey17 :

Week one: Logo – must include the sponsorship of a current major AFL partner (Toyota, Virgin, NAB, Gatorade is it now?). You must design an official logo (ie, for promotions, for painting on the ground) and one that fits onto a jumper. The winning design must feature on all future training, warm-up, and home jumpers.

Week two: South Australia off-field/training items (one training jumper + choice of two other items: can be anything; caps, polos, training tops)
Week three: South Australia home jumper and warm-up top

Do that for the three states, and then we can have a poll of who's next. From then on, you're keeping people interested by letting them design what they want. I imagine Queensland and Allies would have a lot of options, whereas Tassie is tough to improve on.

Maybe just more muddling, but next year, there'll be an Allies side in the under 18s. Tassie, NSW, et al will still exist, they'll just compete earlier. Then a best-of side'll be made up to play WA, SA, and the Victorian sides.

I think competitions are worse when they're longer. People feel less inclined to have a go because they figure there'll be a chance later. And then six weeks later, everyone's sort of burnt out. Maybe a schedule like this could be alright, inspired by Bryce_Jersey17 :

Week one: Logo – must include the sponsorship of a current major AFL partner (Toyota, Virgin, NAB, Gatorade is it now?). You must design an official logo (ie, for promotions, for painting on the ground) and one that fits onto a jumper. The winning design must feature on all future training, warm-up, and home jumpers.

Week two: South Australia off-field/training items (one training jumper + choice of two other items: can be anything; caps, polos, training tops)
Week three: South Australia home jumper and warm-up top

Do that for the three states, and then we can have a poll of who's next. From then on, you're keeping people interested by letting them design what they want. I imagine Queensland and Allies would have a lot of options, whereas Tassie is tough to improve on.
Happy to OK this if you want to run it.

I was referring to what teams would be in the SoO comp, rather than what articles of clothing would be designed, btw.

Maybe go with the current Under 18's (as of 2015)
And then pop the Allies in after them all, if the comp runs that long, which I'm hoping it will. My question is can we use the current/traditional designs or do we make new designs.

And then pop the Allies in after them all, if the comp runs that long, which I'm hoping it will. My question is can we use the current/traditional designs or do we make new designs.
Make new designs. Otherwise all we will see is the same 1 or 2 designs from everybody.

I wouldnt include the Allies unless the competition is popular enough. Start with what we have and know, and then chuck in the new one. Hence why I said
(as of 2015)

If you want to have it so your waiting to see if it's popular enough, shouldn't it be Allies instead of Queensland, NSW/ACT and Tasmania, then add them in if it is?
Because, and I repeat, I said "as of 2015". Therefore, the teams are current and more well known than an amalgamation of teams that haven't really existed for over 15 years.

Not to mention, it still gives a broader time for the competition. If we combine three teams then there's less chances to design

Proposal:

FJ&GD World Heavyweight Championship

kR8Ti8A.png

My idea is for a competition in the spirit of competitions like the NAFL and IFA but a little more fast paced. People have been complaining about a lack of weekly designing, well for this competition you could design every week or once in a blue moon and not lose your place.

Every member on this board is permitted to have one live entry design, consisting of a playing strip and logo for a fictional football club from a location anywhere they like in the world. I don't care whether you enter the New York Isotopes or the Salisbury East Fieldmice. All I want is a real world location and a football club.

Each week there will be several divisions of roughly 5. Each division will have a match involving all 5 participants in an open vote for the best design.

After each match, the top two (or so) teams in the division will be promoted and the bottom two teams will be relegated. I'd imagine each voting period would be about 5 days with the idea to have one round each week.

The winner of the top division will be the World Heavyweight Champion and that champion will defend his title each week for as long as he or she has it.

Entry rules:

- One entry per person. One playing strip with a logo if you choose(Must have a logo). Also I want your username attached somewhere in-image for quick reference of who is who.

- You will maintain your position in the rankings provided you stick with the same club name and colours. I will allow design tweaks or changes between rounds provided it's the same club. If you want to make wholesale changes, you have to pull out and re-enter a new club in the bottom division. This hopefully will stop one or two people from dominating for too long.

- If you enter a design and don't change it, and it maintains it's place in a division, it can theoretically stay there forever until you pull it out or enter something new. So if you want to enter a guernsey you can, but if you don't enter for a while you maintain your place in the competition. I'm not sure how this will work longterm and I expect that if this runs for a while and we end up with heaps of divisions, I will remove entries where the owner has lost interest or where the entry has remained in a low division for an extended period of time.

- The idea behind this is that it's quickfire comp that anybody can enter without having to invest too much time or effort. There is no bidding process. If you submit an entry, you are in (unless it gets absolutely ridiculous and we have like 60 teams).

Theoretically we could have 6 divisions, so 30 odd entries, and someone could enter at the bottom and their design if good enough would take 6 weeks to get up to the top division and challenge for the belt.

The thread structure would be a hub thread where discussion and announcements happened and a weekly voting thread. I'm not sure if there is an image limit in posts or a limit as to how many voting options there are. If so I could break the divisions over a couple of threads if required.

I'm hoping that the belt will regularly change hands as people get sick of the incumbent titleholder and vote new designs in.

Also, once this competition got the go ahead, i'd start the hub thread immediately and as soon as I had 5 designs, the first week would be up. The NAFL benefited greatly from 3 months of time to enter and the quality was outstanding. This competition is all about a fast pace and constantly rotating entries.

What do people think?

I've actually been thinking about that, if no one else wants to run it, I'll pick it up again after my exams.

I'd like to bring this back, should it get the go ahead.

All entries must be new, no teams continued from previous leagues, if you'd like to bring back the team you were using before this all halted, it must be remade.

All entries must include a logo, can be a recolour. Logo and kit must be in the one image.

Once we get to the point where there is too many entries, the oldest, non edited entry will be kicked out, even if it is the reigning champion, to keep things fresh.

And I reserve the right to change the rules whenever needed.

If you are unclear of what you need to provide, in the top quoted post, there is a description of what is needed, if something is missing, your team won't be in.

Also, I'd like permission if this does get the go ahead to start a new hub for it so I can have the OP for records, stats, etc.

Last edited:

All entries must be new, no teams continued from previous leagues, if you'd like to bring back the team you were using before this all halted, it must be remade.

All entries must include a logo, can be a recolour.

Once we get to the point where there is too many entries, the oldest, non edited entry will be kicked out, even if it is the reigning champion, just to keep things fresh.

Also, I'd like permission if this does get the go ahead to start a new hub for it so I can have the OP for records, stats, etc.

I'm fully behind this, as it was a cool competition that I have no time or interest in running anymore. You did a great job

As was LogoOTW if anyone wants to pick that up.

All entries must include a logo, can be a recolour.

Once we get to the point where there is too many entries, the oldest, non edited entry will be kicked out, even if it is the reigning champion, just to keep things fresh.

KEEN! Limit to 30/35 IMO. This will be great. I'll probably keep Greensy and fix them up.

All entries must include a logo, can be a recolour. Logo and kit must be in the one image.

Once we get to the point where there is too many entries, the oldest, non edited entry will be kicked out, even if it is the reigning champion, to keep things fresh.

If you are unclear of what you need to provide, in the top quoted post, there is a description of what is needed, if something is missing, your team won't be in.

I'd love to see this return. Innovative, fun comp. Make dat OP.

Hey guys, I've been a lurker on this board for a while, don't post as I'm not the most creative type. The most success I have had designing jumpers was getting a few training tops for St Kilda (as you can see below it was pretty basic :p)
399px-12._Nick_Riewoldt%2C_St_Kilda_FC_01.jpg

I was wondering if you guys would be up to putting your talents in to use to help us out over at the saints board. We are currently starting a keeper league with 14 teams. We are just finalising the names, mascots and colours etc. There wouldn't be any way you guys could have a competition with our new fantasy teams could you? I know I'm asking a bit but it would be bloody great if you could.

Either way, keep up the awesome work.

Olympics!

I know that the last Olympic themed competition went no good, but I have a proposition.

So, the idea for a competition basically centres around everyone designing a kit for a different country for a different sport each week (country chosen by the previous winner). Designing only for the male events just for consistency and the specifications of templates etc.

Preliminary sports would be..

Aquatics
Athletics
Basketball
Boxing
Cycling
Hockey
Football/Soccer obv
Golf
Rugby 7s
Tennis
Wrestling

I think that this would be great as an initiative to get people to work with different colour schemes, it would be a fortnightly competition starting at the beginning of February and running up until the commencement of the Games. Thinking of running this with a medal tally instead of a regular points system to change it up and get in the spirit. What are your thoughts?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What does Dylan8 think about a sequel to the Logo Europeanisation comp: Logo Americanization comp?(spelt with a Z cos murica). You could run it or if you're keen on the idea but not keen to run another comp, I could have a dig myself.
I like the idea, but how do you Americanize a logo?

I like the idea, but how do you Americanize a logo?
Well, a lot of clubs have two logos, one monogram based and the other based on a mascot. They often incorporate the sport in them. Teams with bird mascots end up looking like Adelaide (maybe skip image.png image.png
image.png image.jpeg
Most of the NFL ones are either a singular image or a monogram, with not many consisting of more that one or two elements.

Yeah, US logos are basically animal heads.

They are bold, they are modern, they don't have the team name inside the logo because it's not necessary.

The NBA breaks this rule but i'm thinking more NFL/NHL.

Yeah, US logos are basically animal heads.

They are bold, they are modern, they don't have the team name inside the logo because it's not necessary.

The NBA breaks this rule but i'm thinking more NFL/NHL.
Yeah, basically when I think of American sport aesthetics I think of football and baseball. Baseball is bold monogram heavy, NFL has distinct animal/mascot heads.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back