Rhys Stanley + pick 59 (Jordan Cunico) to Geelong for pick 21 (Hugh Goddard)

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty sure Griffiths is 198cm. Was about 196/7 when drafted though, so he could have hit the magnificent 200.

BBBUUUUUUURRRRRNNNNN
tumblr_maq7wuJaAD1qdi785o1_400.gif

Good:
- incredible top speed
- sticky hands sometimes
- huge kick
- big leap
- criminally underrated ruckwork
- great size (202cm 96kg)

Bad:
- slow acceleration
- drops easy marks at times
- poor defensive pressure
- passive footballer
- poor body strength in contests
- inconsistent

Another thing you have to consider with Rhys is his ability to read the flight.

When you look at his marking, there's a very clear difference between when he reads it correctly and when he doesn't. When he judges the flight well, he never looks like dropping it regardless of the opponent... when he doesn't, the ball can hit him on the chest and he'll spill it.

Whilst delivery is an issue to a degree, it seems to me that even when it's laced out to his advantage, his perception leaves a bit to be desired.

The question is, can this be improved?

Stanley was the 10th most clanger prone player (out of 343) averaging a clanger every 4.8 disposals.
What a bizarre stat & pretty irrelevant really.

Buddy Frankiln 1 clanger per 3.69 disposals
Taylor Walker 1 clanger for every 4.7 disposals
Spencer White 1 clanger every second disposal so far.

What I find incredible is that a guy with zero footy nous that can't read the flight of the ball at all can still manage 120+ marks & 18 goals from 19 games playing in the worst side in the comp, must be a lucky chap, remarkable really.

What a bizarre stat & pretty irrelevant really.

Buddy Frankiln 1 clanger per 3.69 disposals
Taylor Walker 1 clanger for every 4.7 disposals
Spencer White 1 clanger every second disposal so far.

What I find incredible is that a guy with zero footy nous that can't read the flight of the ball at all can still manage 120+ marks & 18 goals from 19 games playing in the worst side in the comp, must be a lucky chap, remarkable really.
I love reading your stuff dragit:thumbsu:
But stats are just stats. They can make a player sound good or make him sound bad.
But the cold hard fact is Stanley only played a couple of good games over 4 yrs.
Yeah he is a big bloke they take longer. But he was still just a "maybe he will come good one day " player after 4 yrs.
I dont think the club has erred in the slightest for trading him.
If he goes to Geelong and comes good, then good on the bloke and ill be happy for him.. But he wasnt making an impact for us at all.

I love reading your stuff dragit:thumbsu:
But stats are just stats. They can make a player sound good or make him sound bad.
But the cold hard fact is Stanley only played a couple of good games over 4 yrs.
Yeah he is a big bloke they take longer. But he was still just a "maybe he will come good one day " player after 4 yrs.
I dont think the club has erred in the slightest for trading him.
If he goes to Geelong and comes good, then good on the bloke and ill be happy for him.. But he wasnt making an impact for us at all.
cheers mate :thumbsu:

I just think if you are going to pick out an obscure stat to discredit someone then it’s okay to bring some context to it. Are Taylor Walker and Franklin no good? because they are in the same region for clangers/disposals.

Nick Riewoldt is 126th on the hitouts per match stat… the same as Xavier Ellis - :cool:

We are talking about a guy well over 200cm, who has only just played 50 games… again you say he has had no impact, but the next time we have a player kick a goal & take 7 marks each game for season we will be very excited.

While Stanley was still very inconsistent, he had 2 match-winning games this year, which is more than most of our players had.

If we pick up an elite player with 21 I will be stoked, fingers crossed.

What makes it a bizarre and obscure stat? The fact that it disagrees with your pre-conceived notions about Stanley? Clangers are like any stat, of no use on their own, but do give an indication of a players ball use and I thought accounting for disposal numbers is a good way of eliminating bias toward high volume ball users (e.g. Kobe Bryant leading active players in turnovers due to ball handling volume).

To expand on the disposals/clanger stat: up the top you have players who a mixture of players who give away a lot of free kicks (Franklin, Lobbe) and those whose ball use is poor (Walker, Stanley, Impey). As you say the stat is useless without context, and we might well infer that Stanley and Walker are equally useless if it weren't for the fact that Walker actually does other things like kick goals*

Up the other end of the least clanger prone players you have small defenders taking the safe option (Dwyer, Everitt and Cunningham) excellent ball users (Dal Santo, Burgoyne, Chapman) and combinations thereof (Birchall, Smith). Seems to me like overall the stat makes perfect sense in context. Facetiously pulling Roo's hitout stats ignores the fact that clangers are directly relevant to every player.

What I find remarkable is that a bloke with outstanding athleticism can't win a hitout, insane speed for his size never burns anyone off, good hands and booming kick can't hit the scoreboard (If Stanley's 18 goals in 19 games somehow impresses you then Ben Brown with his 18 goals in 11 matches in his debut season must be Plugger reincarnated) and good footy smarts is one of the most clanger prone players in the competition. If he did even a fraction of what Buddy does when he isn't racking up clangers, maybe we could forgive him. But 6 years later and he still isn't.

BTW I would love to know which two games Stanley supposedly won for us this year lol. I'm assuming one of them was that game where Rhys kicked a 'bag' of 3 and we thrashed Freo by 10 goals. Not even sure what the other could be.

* (worth noting that Walker actually did have a pretty poor season by his standards coming back from injury, although he got a lot better as the season progressed).

What makes it a bizarre and obscure stat? The fact that it disagrees with your pre-conceived notions about Stanley? Clangers are like any stat, of no use on their own, but do give an indication of a players ball use and I thought accounting for disposal numbers is a good way of eliminating bias toward high volume ball users (e.g. Kobe Bryant leading active players in turnovers due to ball handling volume).

To expand on the disposals/clanger stat: up the top you have players who a mixture of players who give away a lot of free kicks (Franklin, Lobbe) and those whose ball use is poor (Walker, Stanley, Impey). As you say the stat is useless without context, and we might well infer that Stanley and Walker are equally useless if it weren't for the fact that Walker actually does other things like kick goals*

Up the other end of the least clanger prone players you have small defenders taking the safe option (Dwyer, Everitt and Cunningham) excellent ball users (Dal Santo, Burgoyne, Chapman) and combinations thereof (Birchall, Smith). Seems to me like overall the stat makes perfect sense in context. Facetiously pulling Roo's hitout stats ignores the fact that clangers are directly relevant to every player.

What I find remarkable is that a bloke with outstanding athleticism can't win a hitout, insane speed for his size never burns anyone off, good hands and booming kick can't hit the scoreboard (If Stanley's 18 goals in 19 games somehow impresses you then Ben Brown with his 18 goals in 11 matches in his debut season must be Plugger reincarnated) and good footy smarts is one of the most clanger prone players in the competition. If he did even a fraction of what Buddy does when he isn't racking up clangers, maybe we could forgive him. But 6 years later and he still isn't.

BTW I would love to know which two games Stanley supposedly won for us this year lol. I'm assuming one of them was that game where Rhys kicked a 'bag' of 3 and we thrashed Freo by 10 goals. Not even sure what the other could be.

* (worth noting that Walker actually did have a pretty poor season by his standards coming back from injury, although he got a lot better as the season progressed).
Tend to agree with TS here. Stats are still stats, but regardless they always tell you facts about something.

Regardless of stats you take it for what it is - 21 for Stanley was a steal, particularly if we can aquire a r/f that proves to be a competent player for us.

good footy smarts

This is something that nobody has ever said about Stanley. It's actually one of his main weaknesses because he comes from a basketball background.

Also please produce Stanleys % of hitouts won stat to prove that "he can't win a hitout".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is something that nobody has ever said about Stanley. It's actually one of his main weaknesses because he comes from a basketball background.

Also please produce Stanleys % of hitouts won stat to prove that "he can't win a hitout".
Stanley is from a footy background. He's played footy his whole life and only took up basketball when he was 16 http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/rhys-stanley-slam-dunks-myth/story-e6frf9jf-1225837501011

edit: couldn't find a % of hitouts won stat, but how about Stanley has never averaged more than 7.8 hit outs a season, and only had more than 21 hitouts once (next best 15, only a handful in double figures) which was this year when he was towelled by Jacobs (49 hit outs)

Last edited:
He apparently wasn't well liked within the saints playing group.

Same person who gave me the information that Rhys was going to be our way of getting the extra selection told me that.

Stanley is from a footy background. He's played footy his whole life and only took up basketball when he was 16 http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/rhys-stanley-slam-dunks-myth/story-e6frf9jf-1225837501011

edit: couldn't find a % of hitouts won stat, but how about Stanley has never averaged more than 7.8 hit outs a season, and only had more than 21 hitouts once (next best 15, only a handful in double figures) which was this year when he was towelled by Jacobs (49 hit outs)

Still, no one has ever said that he has good footy smarts. Richo has said that is an area he needs work on.

He has never played a full game as a ruck but you expect him to have massive hitout numbers? He isn't a number 1 ruckman so I'm really not sure what you expect from him.

A pre-conceived notion is something that you seemed determined to hold onto, don't assume the reverse for me. The fact that you are unwilling to acknowledge a good game played by a guy who has 14 marks & kicked 3 goals that was rewarded with 2 brownlow votes says it all. The other game I was very impressed with was against Essendon, he didn't kick any goals but was a dominant player with 21 touches & 13 marks, but I'm guessing you will also put that down to just being lucky to be playing in a winning side? It's amazing how much better a tall forward will look with some inside 50 entries, even better when they that aren't at their feet.

I'm not even a huge fan of Stanley & thought his year was disappointing overall, but I do find it bizarre that people will attempt to paint him as a complete spud when a top side just gave up a 1st round pick for him.

The stat you are plucking out shows that he is at around the same level as plenty of other guys of his size and position - Franklin, Walker, Kennedy, Podsiadly, Petrie… and yes these guys are all much better players but for obvious reasons, guys of this size have a high clanger/disposal ratio, it says little about their ability to play the game at an elite level.

Stanley will never be a star and for that reason 21 is overs on current showings, he does however have some elite qualities and at only 23 & 50 odd games experience, his best football is still in front of him. His worst stinks, but his best is unstoppable… I guess Geelong are betting on bridging that gap. Maybe he'll never put it all together consistently.

He apparently wasn't well liked within the saints playing group.

Same person who gave me the information that Rhys was going to be our way of getting the extra selection told me that.
Why?

This still going?

Cool o_O

Suspect that this thread has a lot lot more legs left in it yet. Can see it running throughout the coming couple of seasons actually.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back