Cory Bernardi

Remove this Banner Ad

Senator Bernardi has been a long-time critic of the burqa, arguing that it is a "symbol of female oppression and Islamic culture", carries security and identification risks and is "un-Australian".
Hasn't he heard of fingerprints?

Would you want people fingerprinted in order to enter a bank/ shopping center/sports stadium/etc?
Presumably, with said results checked against a government issued ID card containing various biometric data (including the fingerprints of course).

Bernardi is a whackjob, but there is no denying that face covering garments do represent a security issue (I'm not allowed in banks(etc) with my motorbike helmet on for example).

The question is the balance between that and civil liberties. For now, I'm OK with the Burqa, but if it's exploited to breach security, even a few times, I could see that changing fairly rapidly.

Would you want people fingerprinted in order to enter a bank/ shopping center/sports stadium/etc?
Presumably, with said results checked against a government issued ID card containing various biometric data (including the fingerprints of course).

Bernardi is a whackjob, but there is no denying that face covering garments do represent a security issue (I'm not allowed in banks(etc) with my motorbike helmet on for example).

The question is the balance between that and civil liberties. For now, I'm OK with the Burqa, but if it's exploited to breach security, even a few times, I could see that changing fairly rapidly.
Fair enough. I don't understand the need for face covering, so probably not so okay with it.
I perhaps wasn't too clear, my objection was more to the fact that he referred to it as "un-Australian". Have still to learn what being 'Australian' is.

I think if they want to ban the burka, they need to ban helmets, hats, sunglasses, beards, hair colouring and I'm sure there are other things.

It's isn't just about the security risk, people who support "ban the burka" want it banned in general, not just in banks or sporting stadiums.

I think if they want to ban the burka, they need to ban helmets, hats, sunglasses, beards, hair colouring and I'm sure there are other things.

You do need to remove helmets, hats and sunglasses in certain situations, and I dare say if Burqa headwear were removed in similar situations, there wouldn't be this discussion.

It's isn't just about the security risk, people who support "ban the burka" want it banned in general, not just in banks or sporting stadiums.

Yeah, but if you 'just' ban it in security related situations, then you're infringing on these women's ability to function and interact in society, which would add to the cultural situation where there is already a desire not to have women involved in the broader society.

My mother worked in banks for years and it was policy that if a veiled woman came in and she needed to be identified she was taken to a private office by a female staffer and it was done there. I don't see what the problem is.

At its worst, its the potential problem of wearing it in crowded areas. But really anyone could wear a belt bomb or in a bag when walking in a shopping centre, busy mall, train, bus or sports stadium. So a 'Burkah' banning wouldn't really achieve much one wouldn't think.

You do need to remove helmets, hats and sunglasses in certain situations, and I dare say if Burqa headwear were removed in similar situations, there wouldn't be this discussion.

Yeah, but if you 'just' ban it in security related situations, then you're infringing on these women's ability to function and interact in society, which would add to the cultural situation where there is already a desire not to have women involved in the broader society.
Certain people want the burka banned... Not just in certain places, but completely. As in, you can't walk around outside of your home, with a burka...

What other item of clothing is banned in Australia?
Is makeup banned?
What about cross dressing?
What about clothing that is used the majority of the time for actual robberies? Like a hoodie? Or even nothing to hide identity?

And it isn't just the burqa, you know they are throwing the net over the hijab and the niqab as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Certain people want the burka banned... Not just in certain places, but completely. As in, you can't walk around outside of your home, with a burka...

What other item of clothing is banned in Australia?
Is makeup banned?
What about cross dressing?
What about clothing that is used the majority of the time for actual robberies? Like a hoodie? Or even nothing to hide identity?

And it isn't just the burqa, you know they are throwing the net over the hijab and the niqab as well.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not in favor of such a ban, I'm just pointing out that there are some legitimate concerns.

That these concerns have been hijacked by whackos is another matter.

Fair enough. I don't understand the need for face covering, so probably not so okay with it.
I perhaps wasn't too clear, my objection was more to the fact that he referred to it as "un-Australian". Have still to learn what being 'Australian' is.
Australian is what all right thinking, particularly extreme right thinking, MOs and shock jocks tell isn't unAustralian. Its an amazingly simple concept. If Alan Jones doesn't like it, its unAustralian. The other stuff is Australian until decreed otherwise.

That said, I'm not sure about the complete ban I believe is in place in France. If in a situation a motorbike helmet would be acceptable, there is no reason a burka would not be.

I don't really have a problem with banning it in banks/servo's/wherever it genuinely represents a security risk, although I do feel some concern at taking even more independence from their spouses away from these women.

France didn't ban the burqa under the guise of security..

rather they considered a secular nation shouldn't have citizens displaying 'ostensible religious paraphernalia and symbols..'

I guess a christian cross on a neckless isn't ostensible enough

Never forget, ten years ago Tony Abbott was Cory Bernardi.

In ten years time he could lead the Liberal Party.

Bernardi would be a European name no?
What's he doing in our Parliament then?
I really hate these right wing *******s.
Let's deport the prick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back