Craig Bird

Remove this Banner Ad

At U18 level, Moore was a ball magnet with clean disposals. And in the couple of games I've seen Moore and Bird play together (late in the season for the reserves team) both took their turns at centre bounces and Moore was clearly the more consistent and effective (and to be fair, spent more time there). Clearly its not fair to compare the two since one has been on the list 3 years and is older. But at ACTAFL level, they show very similar attributes.

I don't think Moore has Schneider's pace or acceleration over those first few steps. Indeed, I don't think any of our younger (or older, for that matter) small brigade does other than Phillips, who doesn't have the bulk, and Jack who is maybe the closest. That's why I am still a bit baffled about Schneider's departure. I reckon Monty is also a bit quicker than Moore, yet Monty's not expresss either.

(One qualification - Simpkin is another who probably does have the pace but he still has a lot of other things to work on and may well find himself squeezed out of the list within the next week or so.)

Im hoping that the Swans delist and then redraft some of the young players you mentioned as alot of them have some real talent and i would hate to see them get delisted without getting a proper chance to prove themselves playing in the AFL.

Found this on one of the other threads. Intersting read.

Swans fans will love this bloke. I really rate him and cannot wait to see what he delivers at AFL level. Local lad who is the Swans scholarship player and will be taken with their final selection. Very much in the mould of the Swans type to. Tough in and under midfielder who presents bigger than his listed size and is a clearance whiz and is blessed with a beautiful kick. Probably lacks a yard of pace and that was maybe why he didn’t go last year. Went around again in the National Champs winning the best Division 2 player and gaining All Australian selection. Also played very well representing NSW against the TAC sides and is going to be a good player. Also seems to be a natural leader.

Quite an impressive outlook on Bird. I haven't seen him play yet. Can't wait!

At U18 level, Moore was a ball magnet with clean disposals. And in the couple of games I've seen Moore and Bird play together (late in the season for the reserves team) both took their turns at centre bounces and Moore was clearly the more consistent and effective (and to be fair, spent more time there). Clearly its not fair to compare the two since one has been on the list 3 years and is older. But at ACTAFL level, they show very similar attributes.

I don't think Moore has Schneider's pace or acceleration over those first few steps. Indeed, I don't think any of our younger (or older, for that matter) small brigade does other than Phillips, who doesn't have the bulk, and Jack who is maybe the closest. That's why I am still a bit baffled about Schneider's departure. I reckon Monty is also a bit quicker than Moore, yet Monty's not expresss either.

(One qualification - Simpkin is another who probably does have the pace but he still has a lot of other things to work on and may well find himself squeezed out of the list within the next week or so.)
Moore was a top performer in the 20 metre sprints at the 2004 draft camp.He found the transition from TAC to AFL a massive jump in the amount of running around the ground required.He has been to the AIS to improve his running style.I actually saw him recently and couldn't get over how buffed he looks.He is much thinner but more muscular than I have ever seen him.

I think we are expecting a bit much from young Bird.Give the kid a chance to show his wares.Rumour is that if he wasn't in the scholaship squad he would be pushing to be drafted as he is rated the sixtieth best young player in 2007.

I think we are expecting a bit much from young Bird.Give the kid a chance to show his wares.Rumour is that if he wasn't in the scholaship squad he would be pushing to be drafted as he is rated the sixtieth best young player in 2007.

No one is expecting him to come in and have an impact immediately. Not many Swans draftees do. At the end of the day it doesn't matter where people rate him. If he's a good players then he's a good player. Remember we picked up Malceski at 64. I think we'd all agree he's a gun. Who knows, Bird might be as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back