Toast Dale Thomas

Remove this Banner Ad

I’ll admit, I’ve cringed a few times in the last couple of years watching him try and play the antagonistic tough guy, but without some of his efforts in the drawn GF, we don’t hold the cup - simple as that. Was our best player that day and one of our best the following week as well so that by itself makes him a club great.

Madness by the filth not to give him another year as well. His form certainly warrants it.

Madness by the filth not to give him another year as well. His form certainly warrants it.

I remember earlier in the season Carlton had just been belted again and as the Carlton players were walking off the ground they were all smiling and having a chat except Daisy who had his head down because he actually cared about the result.

I guess Carlton just view him as a temporary mercenary

Loved Daisy, he was always a big game performer. Kicked a goal in 2007 Semi against West Coast to put us in front with 3 mins remaining, massive in both 2010 GF's, then his tackle on Rioli in the 2011 prelim basically wins us the game. Unfortunately he was the type of player who injuries would have a big impact on due to his playing style, but his peak was very good.

Funny that we talk about how good our midfield is (or should be) now, but think of that 2012 side. Pendlebury, Swan, Beams, Ball, Thomas, Sidebottom...not a bad contingent.

I’ll admit, I’ve cringed a few times in the last couple of years watching him try and play the antagonistic tough guy, but without some of his efforts in the drawn GF, we don’t hold the cup - simple as that. Was our best player that day and one of our best the following week as well so that by itself makes him a club great.

Given Simpson is also playing on and given Carlton’s list is starting to show signs of life......it was the right decision to cut Thomas now.

Congratulations Daisy... for being a terrible bloke, both on and off the field.

Main memory for me was the tackle on Cyril in 2011 PF .
2010 GF he was running to the bench in the last and looked over at me and my mate and gave us a fist pump , spewing he left.

He made his bed, he slept in it. Tarnished his name and career. Was not a great, only a good player for a couple seasons, selfishly chose surfin with da boys rather than the professional responsible option.
One of those embarrassing players you didn't really like on the list, sooky, drama and a little bitch.

Will be forgotten.

I get people didn't like the way he went and where he went but it sounds a bit like a bunch of bitter ex's the way people carry on about him.
  1. We clearly got rid of him at the right time by not offering him the $$$ he wanted
  2. We ended up with the highest compo pick ever at that point in time
  3. We have played in more Grand Finals than he has finals
  4. He played for THE worst club in the AFL over that time, multiple wooden spoons, regularly finished bottom 3
  5. His form has been garbage until this year.
Can we move on? He has suffered enough, we have benefitted from the whole fiasco. The level of maturity being shown to shocking. Good on Daisy for a great career. Should have a career after footy in the media and I hope he has success in that field too. :beercheers:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I get people didn't like the way he went and where he went but it sounds a bit like a bunch of bitter ex's the way people carry on about him.
  1. We clearly got rid of him at the right time by not offering him the $$$ he wanted
  2. We ended up with the highest compo pick ever at that point in time
  3. We have played in more Grand Finals than he has finals
  4. He played for THE worst club in the AFL over that time, multiple wooden spoons, regularly finished bottom 3
  5. His form has been garbage until this year.
Can we move on? He has suffered enough, we have benefitted from the whole fiasco. The level of maturity being shown to shocking. Good on Daisy for a great career. Should have a career after footy in the media and I hope he has success in that field too. :beercheers:
I think you miss the central point - he left US - for more money - AFTER he ignored medical instructions to continue his surfing whilst rehabbing.

I loved the kid as much as any here now, but he proved to be a mercenary little pr1ck.

He will be welcomed back as a Collingwood hero.

But don't expect people to forget the manner of his departure.

No class whatsoever.

As well as the sublime football while in the black and white, he along with Agent Malthouse deserve recognition for the continued dedication to the cause while infiltrating the dark side.

I thought he retired at the end of 2013? Haven't heard of anything from him since then.

But his final series in 2010 (Best pies players over the whole finals) and his 2011 were brilliant.
Reckon his captain might have just pipped him for that honour mate. Both were huge though.

At his peak in 2011, prior to his injuries, his ability to run from one end of the ground to the other cotinually, at pace, was unrivalled imo. Used to watch him closely and his workrate was phenominal. All downhill from there sadly for him, but a great player at his best. He alone would have been responsible for plenty of heads walking through the turnstiles back in those days.

It was the statement he made a week before leaving that pisses me off about Daisy. Otherwise, people are right, he was a gun for us and in big games too. He left on the downward spiral and has been part of the reason Carlton's list has been so poor for years.

It was something like kids need to take their Guernsey's out of the bin as he wasn't gone yet, then he went a week later. Why say it? There were hundreds of thousands of kids that loved him. Showed very little common sense and humility at that time.

Will be remembered by me as having the weirdest upper body shape of any male playing football I have ever seen. Flat where his pecs should be, was super tough though.

Good luck to daisy for the future, while with us played some of best footy in the league.
The way he left still grates a bit, could have retired as one of all best of the club, but did not. Oh well.

It was the statement he made a week before leaving that pisses me off about Daisy. Otherwise, people are right, he was a gun for us and in big games too. He left on the downward spiral and has been part of the reason Carlton's list has been so poor for years.

It was something like kids need to take their Guernsey's out of the bin as he wasn't gone yet, then he went a week later. Why say it? There were hundreds of thousands of kids that loved him. Showed very little common sense and humility at that time.

Will be remembered by me as having the weirdest upper body shape of any male playing football I have ever seen. Flat where his pecs should be, was super tough though.

He said himself he was built like Kermit the Frog lol.

Loved him as a Collingwood player, always will be a premiership player. However became a w***er at Carlton like most people there as the best moment ever was when Pendlebury shoved him to the ground like like he wasn't even there loved it

Apologies for the intrusion:

Daisy farewell speech to players for anyone interested.

It's mainly Carlton stuff but there is mention of the 2010 Premiership and a few other things.
I thought it was pertinent when he said
‘I gave it everything I can to be the best I can’. So true. Can not deny that. Would hope others take that on board.

I really hoped Thomas would be a one club player. I, like others was disappointed when he moved to the blues and at the time I thought who could blame him. A huge guaranteed contract over 4 years when his ankle seemed shot.

After a very ordinary couple of years, it was great to see him play some valuable footy for the blues and stick up for the kids over there. On many occasions he seemed to be the only one on the field that acted as a protector for them.

Unfortunately, what will tarnish his legacy in my eyes is the way he acted against the Pies when he walked. I’m sure a lot of us wished him the best until he seemed to really make a point of targeting the club and players. He seemed to leave very bitter. Not sure whether it was Malthouses’ influence or whether he felt insulted by the Collingwood offer.

However, he was great to watch and never took a backward step. Will be great to see him back at the club. Can you imagine if Bucks found him a role at the club?

Difficult to credit him with 'giving it everything' after all the rat pack rumours and his body suddenly looking like he was the survivor of a concentration camp

But he was magical with us and almost single handedly saved the drawn Grand Final... over both GF's he was easily the Norm Smith

Remove this Banner Ad

Back