News Damien Hardwick agrees to become the coach of The Gold Coast Suns

Remove this Banner Ad

When was the last time one of these moves actually worked? Clubs with deep problems think they can patch everything by landing a successful coach. It won't work unless they fix everything else first.

This is a logical fallacy. Most coaches don't work by definition.

A lot of non-Richmond supporters getting fearful or outraged over this is quite funny.

Strong emotive words Crazy.
What makes you have this view?
Not fond of his cheating affairs against his wife and kids…Not fond of a lot of his pressers either where he is very rude and aggressive towards journalists. Also how he walked over his good mates back to take his job at GC suns with more than likely a back room handshake agreement prior to the sacking.

Overall just seems an arrogant aggressive disloyal person.

Also how he walked over his good mates back to take his job at GC suns with more than likely a back room handshake agreement prior to the sacking.
Dew had been given chance after chance. Six years is a lot of rope. Even if you write off the first four years due to the state of the list, he's had two chances to get to the finals, fumbled one and was fumbling another. Dew was definitely not done dirty, he deserved to go.

Dew had been given chance after chance. Six years is a lot of rope. Even if you write off the first four years due to the state of the list, he's had two chances to get to the finals, fumbled one and was fumbling another. Dew was definitely not done dirty, he deserved to go.
100% on the money. Crazy26 has a wild imagination.

Don't know who is more mad. Them offering it to a guy who was 'burnt out' and needed to be coaxed directly from Italy or him if he takes it.
The Suns, obviously. How can Dimma lose? He'll get great money.

But I see it from the Suns perspective. They've tried twice with a young upcoming coach and both of them failed. They tried one experienced coach who wasn't a proven winner, and it failed. The only thing left to try is an experienced, proven winner. They chose not to go for Clarkson (which may have been a blessing in the end, given the drama) so they can't afford not to go for Hardwick.

Dimma is a proven, successful coach. Proven in building a team from scratch (remember how bad the Tiges were when he took us on?).

If anyone thinks that he is the messiah though, they are kidding themselves. We were ultimately wildly successful because of the changes made post '16 season and the structure that was put in place to assist Dimma. He on his own will go nowhere near success.

All the best to Dimma. He will always be a Tigers legend!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll believe this when he signs on the dotted line. In the meantime I'm very sceptical.

He needs more than a few months to recover from the burn out/stress.

Not fond of his cheating affairs against his wife and kids…Not fond of a lot of his pressers either where he is very rude and aggressive towards journalists. Also how he walked over his good mates back to take his job at GC suns with more than likely a back room handshake agreement prior to the sacking.

Fair call.
Agree with first point.

With the pressers, I must say I dislike ‘journos’ and the trough they feed from to make up stories and run with them to create pressure on others. So I don’t really care how they are treated as they are pretty contemptible in their bid to stay relevant, on the main. However, Hardwick in his last two years showed signs of cracking at press conferences. I wasn’t worried about his treatment of others here, but more along the lines of him not coping and his performances reflected this.

Him taking the job at GC is a little dodgy, and I’d preferred it if he had have done it at the end of last season. But on reflection, a move away was probably best for both club and coach.

Fair call.
Agree with first point.

With the pressers, I must say I dislike ‘journos’ and the trough they feed from to make up stories and run with them to create pressure on others. So I don’t really care how they are treated as they are pretty contemptible in their bid to stay relevant, on the main. However, Hardwick in his last two years showed signs of cracking at press conferences. I wasn’t worried about his treatment of others here, but more along the lines of him not coping and his performances reflected this.

Him taking the job at GC is a little dodgy, and I’d preferred it if he had have done it at the end of last season. But on reflection, a move away was probably best for both club and coach.
Agree on all of this.. and journos unethical antics themselves. I am used to watching Scott’s pressers who I honestly believe without any bias here that he is the most respectful and thoughtful coach the way he conducts himself to the media. Gives a lot of praise to opposition when we lose and is very well balanced in his responses.

I saw this earlier in hardwicks career as well.. but as you say the last few years he has been a different person.

I wonder if any of this has to do with his marriage and family falling apart as well. The aftermath this would have on an individual can be quite severe

What a fast food of a football club are the Gold Coast sun's. The afl boys club mentality since its inception, is largely why it hasn't worked. Travis auld had no idea, then they parachute their mate Evans in there, who cooks the salary cap, where they give away pick 7 and senior player. They bring in another "mate" ex afl boss Wayne Campbell, who was the most over rated footballer going around, has had limited success as a player and in club land afterwards.

They think that by offering dimma a 5 year deal and flying over to Italy will turn the team into a finals side is kidding. They'd be far better trying a mccrae type, with 15 years in the industry, get good development coaches in and continue on getting their culture right, and get rid of afl mates in the place

Relaxed Mad Men GIF
Burnt out.

Interesting is he didn't really get this way until after the 2nd flag.

I agree, I didn't like Hardwick's pressers but Chris Scott can also be very rude in them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back