DanielKerr4

Team Captain
Aug 18, 2003
Mornington Peninsula
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Burnley FC
Hmm... Starting to think whether it was worth picking up this guy now?

I know its only one game but it wasn't good. Last year was below average and this year he has started below average. For what we are paying him i think he needs to lift a tad.

Would we have been better off grabbing the number 10 pick instead of Chicky?

no, i think we were right. as much as we all would have liked Chicky to have done more in the last year, you gotta put things into prespective. With such a young list like ours, you need older guys in there to protect them and lead from the front in terms of the one percenters and Chicky does this. With the game on the line he was one of the ones that kiched a goal in the last quarter. With Jako and maybe Banners retiring at the end of the year, Chicky suddenly becomes our oldest player (i don't think he's anymore than 28). That's the type of experience that we needed. He's someone the boys look up to to be like in terms of hardness. i guess what i'm trying to say is that what chicky brings to the club was worth taking him instead of punting on an unknown kid who could have turned out to be a complete dud.

Chick is the sort of player most, if not all coaches would love to have in their side. He is a strong bodied utillity capable of laying the hard tackles, big bumps and breaking through packs.

He is highly gifted but he doesnt get to showcase his talents at West-coast were he would be somewhere in the midfield ranks of about 7 or 8th. But at Hawthorn he was the second premier onballer, hence giving him more oppurtunities and better seasons.

We havent seen the best of Chick yet but he has shown magnificent glimpses (example- against Melbourne at the MCG last year). And to be honest we dont need him to be in the best players everyweek we already have enough match winners. All we need him to do is, use the footy well, be accountable and sure as hell continue with those bone breaking tackles we've come so used to seeing.

He needs to lift

Had a very very average game last week, showed glimpses in the last with some tough body work but needs to do more than that

I must admit so far i have been a little dissapointed with Chick, but i still believe he can climb up to be one of our best 5 or 6 players (or at least 5 or 6 most important).

He is as tough as nails.

But i think we need to play him in a containing midfielder role, in the same way he did so well against Pavlich last year. As good as our midfield is, it's not an accountable one, and we need at least one guy to get and there and do that job. For me, Chick should be given first crack at that.

We were exposed on the weekend during the first 10-15 minutes, when we just didnt play accountable footy.

Originally posted by Black Thunder
But i think we need to play him in a containing midfielder role, in the same way he did so well against Pavlich last year. As good as our midfield is, it's not an accountable one, and we need at least one guy to get and there and do that job. For me, Chick should be given first crack at that.

spot on ... that role first, then resting as a FP / HFF where he is still dangerous. Of course given how stretched our defensive resources are right now, he will end up down there against Port IMO.

Just break out the tape of the Kangas game last season at Subi for those of you who doubt. In a team that contains Fletcher, Cousins and Judd, I love the idea of having a player who's personal objective is to have the most tackles in the league.

thegur

Originally posted by thegur
I love the idea of having a player who's personal objective is to have the most tackles in the league.

excellent way of putting what Chicks role in the team should be.

He seemed a little underdone to me, but I am wrapt we did pick him up. He did have an average season last year and one game into the season he does not look like getting better, but in time I think he will lift his game.

His game against Freo last year on Pavlich was a prime example of why we have him in the team.

Do not hit REFRESH
The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later. You should wait at least 10 seconds before trying to load another page. Do not click REFRESH on your browser as refresh requests add to the server load.

(make that 35 times)

He needs to lift. Drpped an absolute sitter 15m out almost directly in front causing a missed goal, a turnover, and a Bulldogs goal at the other end. Two goal turnaround.

In saying that, he's worth it. Can play midfield, can tag, can kick goals, and can play down back.

I just think he needs to realize that he isnt going to be in the top 3 midfielders at the club and like you guys have said needs to play an accountable defensive role. He definatley needs to lift because he isnt really doing a great defensive job at the moment either. I do think he will lift and become a very valued player at our club, but i was just wondering whether i would have gone for the number 10 pick instead. Now i know i wouldnt, he adds leadership qualities and experience. No young guy has experience.

I thought he was leading goal kicker the year he left the Hawks with 40-something goals. Are we using him in a different role to them or has he just lost touch? Another 40 odd goals a year from another player would be more than handy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't worry about Chick, he's a big game player. Doesn't always star, (although he always puts in) but will be there come finals.

Almost single-handedly he is the player responsible for a couple of our finals wins in 2000/01.

I think the problem with Chick is the match committee just doesn’t know where to play him.

He has played forward, back and as a tagger. I think they have to make a decision and let him settle down in one position. I would like to see him as a run with player, as I don't think we really have one. I thought Jones did a very good job last week but no one else was accountable.

As already mentioned he has done the job on Pavlich and a few other players as a tagger and should be allowed to settle into the role.

It is pretty harsh to judge the guy on one game. If after 8 rounds he still hasn't fired a shot then we should be concerned.

Originally posted by The Goods
It is pretty harsh to judge the guy on one game. If after 8 rounds he still hasn't fired a shot then we should be concerned.

Going on last year as well. Only a handful of standout games (Melbourne, Fremantle and Kangaroos for memory).

I have faith in Chicky because he knows the MCG well and plays well for us away like he did v Collingwood and Melbourne.

He will be more valuable as his inconsistent form last year suggests. When we need a lift he will be there to tackle, add physicallity and maybe a few crucial goals

If Cuz played a few bad games for the club, would everyone be on his back about it? Just give the guy a break and let him play the footy he likes to play..
He'll come good in the end..

I don't know what it is about Daniel Chick, but he is a crowd favourite no matter how well he plays. He's so versatile, he can play anywhere except the ruck and provides the tough nut attitude our team lacks sometimes. The other good thing about him is he can have a quiet game but still pop up with a few goals, similar to merenda. He is a good tagger (pavlich) and when on-song can turn a game on its head, I for one are happy to have such a versatile player at our club, i think last year he played with injury, i think we may see a B.O.G performance by chicky against P.A on saturday night!

I just watched the game again on Fox Footy...without the heart attacks at the end of the 4th quarter.....Chick was quiet, but he didn't do anything really wrong, and he kicked a crucial goal when we needed it.

He does need to lift but it was only the first game of the season. Embley and Punda also played average games so its probably a little unfair to single out Chick.

As for taking him instead of the 10th draft pick. A no brainer, a great player who I believe will lift and become and integral part of our side.

great forwards are born, but great backmen are made. maybe he needs a permanent shift to be a tagger, especially now with banners in the twilight and on the sidelines. bit of a waste, but maybe something to think about.

I agree that Chicky has struggled since coming back west from Hawthorn. Part of the problem is that he hasn't really had a solid position to play each week - but given different assignments each week in different roles. When we got him, I thought he'd be gold on a HFF, but Embley made that his own last year - so maybe Chick could be used on the half back line.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back