2 disposals
50% DE
1 marks
0/1 FF/FA
0 tackles
TOG: 17%
1 clangers

Subbed off 1st quarter

DMac has continued his quiet start to the year, in that not much has been reported about him in the off-season or early in the year.

He looks over the glandular fever but I wouldn’t be surprised to see the club continue a “go slow” strategy with him this year considering the illness.

He has played both games for the Magoos this year so far registering 17 disposals, 10 tackles and 85 DT points on the weekend against Footscray. The following is an excerpt of the match report for his Round 1 contribution against Box Hill:

Daniel McKenzie vs Box Hill (14 disposals, eight contested possessions, six tackles)
“He was solid playing predominantly on a wing. He didn’t get a lot of time inside but he was our best tackler for the game. He was hard at the ball and his closing speeds good. His closing speeds really good, he’s obviously got confidence in his ability to tackle guys and that’s evident in the stats. His defensive efforts have been good. He’s got a good balance of offense and defence; he plays that pretty well from a wing perspective.”

Seems to be defensive things very well, so wouldn’t be surprised to see him rewarded fairly soon. I hope so anyway!

Into the side for Sunday! Good chance to get a game.

PS how good was the grab at 0:55 in that video. Great mark for his size.
Not a big accumulator, but he does some great stuff. Quick, tough, great hands and takes the game on. I think he'll be a gradual burn to get to his best, but well worth the wait.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not a big accumulator, but he does some great stuff. Quick, tough, great hands and takes the game on. I think he'll be a gradual burn to get to his best, but well worth the wait.

Really looking forward to McKenzie's 2017, agree with this post about him being a gradual burn but will be worth the wait. Speed speed speed

After making an impact across half-back late in 2016, emerging St Kilda defender Daniel McKenzie has carried that form through the pre-season and is poised to build on his impressive finish to last year.

The 20-year-old played only two of the first 14 games of last season before earning a recall in Round 16, where played seven of the final eight games and thrived as a small defender.

McKenzie spent a large chunk of his off-season travelling through Japan before he hit the ground running with the rest of St Kilda’s first to fourth-year players at the start of November.

From there, the athletic utility has lit the track up this summer, emerging as one of the best endurance runners at the club, trailing long distance king Jarryn Geary around Seaford for most of the pre-season.

“So far this year I’ve done most of it [the program], probably missed out on one session throughout and been really strong,” McKenzie told saints.com.au on Tuesday.

“Just consistently being able to be out on the track the whole time and actually being able to do all the work that everyone else is doing [has helped] increase my endurance.”

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2017-01-31/moving-back-to-move-forward

Had a good look at D-Mac last night not just as his advocate but also as a SC smokey.

Fair to say he was blowing out a few cobwebs. His footskills weren't where they usually are, but I'm still bullish he will make huge inroads this year in his development.

Good times ahead

Remove this Banner Ad

Back