Rookie Darragh Joyce (2022-)

Remove this Banner Ad

New Lion Conor McKenna wants to add an AFL premiership to his All-Ireland Gaelic football title

McKenna has just been joined at the Lions by another pacy Irishman in Darragh Joyce, who has been signed as a replacement for the inactive Marcus Adams, who will miss the entire season because of lingering effects of a concussion he suffered last year.

Joyce, 25, spent six years with St Kilda. He has made 13 AFL appearances, including three last season.

“Brisbane had been keeping tabs on me the last couple of seasons, behind the scenes, (and) when the call came I jumped,” Joyce said.

“It helped that two Irish boys (McKenna and James Madden) were up here, so I had a little bit of a connection to settle in, but all in all, it’s a pretty club with a great culture.

“It’s just nice being out on the field with these blokes and getting to know them. Sometimes some of these names you have up on a pedestal and then you meet them, and they’re just all down to earth and great guys.”

“I’m not as fast as (McKenna) but ... hopefully I can show it up and use my speed going into offence.”

Lions Rejoyce As Irishman Re-Signs

230297_Darragh_Joyce_Extension_Announcement_Article_Header.jpg

Brisbane Lions defender Darragh Joyce has signed a one-year contract to remain with the Club until at least the end of the 2024 season.

The Irish-born Joyce, who joined the Club during the AFL’s pre-season supplemental selection period (SSP), experienced a solid first year with Brisbane which has resulted in the new deal.

Including his Lions debut in Round 2 against Melbourne, Joyce added five more AFL appearances to his tally in 2023 – following 13 games with St Kilda across six seasons.

Joyce officially told his teammates the news before training on Thursday.

“I am delighted to re-sign with the Brisbane Lions and at such an exciting time for the Club,” he said.

“I was rapt to join the Lions in the off-season and continue my AFL career, and I am again extremely grateful to have the opportunity to play for the Club again in 2024.

“I have loved my time with Brisbane so far and now look forward to hopefully finishing this season strongly in the finals and then getting to work ahead of next year.”

Brisbane Lions General Manager Football, Danny Daly, said Joyce thoroughly deserved his new contract and was excited to see the Irishman continue his AFL career with the Lions.

“Darragh has fitted into our Club, on and off the field, seamlessly and we are thrilled to have him remaining with the Brisbane Lions for another season,” Daly said.

“From the day he arrived he has done everything we have asked of him and that showed by playing five AFL games early in the season.

“Darragh has been important for us in the VFL as a defender and a key reason why we are playing in a Preliminary Final in the VFL this weekend.

“We look forward to seeing what he can achieve for the rest of this season and in 2024 after having another pre-season under his belt.”

Joyce has played five games with the Brisbane Lions after making his Club debut in 2023, as well as a further 13 AFL games with St Kilda between 2017 and 2022.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back