Remove this Banner Ad

Crows_United_FC

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide United
Discuss everything Davis Cup 2014 in this thread!!

ROUND 1 - January 29th - February 2nd

World Group
Czech Republic v Netherlands
Canada v Japan
Spain v Germany
France v Australia
Great Britain v USA
Italy v Argentina
Belgium v Kazakhstan
Switzerland v Serbia

Group 1 Americas
Brazil - BYE
Venezuela v Ecuador
Dominican Republic v Uruguay
Columbia - BYE

Group 1 Asia/Oceania
Uzbekistan - BYE
New Zealand v China
India v Chinese Taipei
South Korea - BYE

Group 1 Europe/Africa
Croatia - BYE
Russia v Poland
Israel - BYE
Portugal v Slovenia
Ukraine v Romania
Sweden - BYE
Slovakia - Latvia
Austria - BYE

Group 2 Americas
Chile v Barbados
El Salvador v Paraguay
Bolivia v Peru
Guatemala v Mexico

Group 2 Asia/Oceania
Philippines v Sri Lanka
Pakistan v Vietnam
Hong Kong v Thailand
Kuwait v Indonesia

Group 2 Europe/Africa
South Africa v Monaco
Lithuania v Norway
Finland v Bulgaria
Bosnia v Greece
Ireland v Belarus
Egypt v Moldova
Morocco v Luxembourg
Cyprus v Denmark

:thumbsu:

Tomic most likely to miss R1! I'd replace him with Kokkinakis. :thumbsu:

The Belgium vs Kazakhstan tie is hilarious. Basically the 2 worst teams drawing each other. Kazakhstan at least has 4 notable players which have frequented the top 100, I cant imagine Belgium has many decent players if Malisse, the Rochus bros and Vliegen are no longer around. Probably mainly that Bemelmans dude.

Would love to see Canada win a Davis Cup before Nestor retires. That would be amazing to see.

France will be really tough for Australia, probably need at least one of their premier players to be injured to have a chance. Especially if they decide to hold it on clay.

The Belgium vs Kazakhstan tie is hilarious. Basically the 2 worst teams drawing each other. Kazakhstan at least has 4 notable players which have frequented the top 100, I cant imagine Belgium has many decent players if Malisse, the Rochus bros and Vliegen are no longer around. Probably mainly that Bemelmans dude.

Would love to see Canada win a Davis Cup before Nestor retires. That would be amazing to see.

France will be really tough for Australia, probably need at least one of their premier players to be injured to have a chance. Especially if they decide to hold it on clay.

The France v Australia tie will be played on clay. Red clay to be more specific! Also it's an indoor venue!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

France

Tsonga
Gasquet
Simon
Benneteau

Australia

Hewitt
Kyrgios
Kokkinakis
Guccione

ahh...so good not seeing Tomic's name in the Davis Cup team.
I'm loving this team. Guccione and Kokkinakis as doubles competitors and Kyrgios and Hewitt as singles competitors!! I'm a bit more optimistic about our chances. Kyrgios showed us the other day that he can match up well against some of the world's best! Also Hewitt is really inconstant. One day beats Federer and the next he loses to Seppi (No disrespect towards Andrea, but when his name is put up against Roger, he's always going to be second best). So we just have to hope that the good Hewitt shows up!

:thumbsu:

Cannot believe the ITF put the Davis Cup on straight after a major tennis tournament. What was the ITF thinking?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cannot believe the ITF put the Davis Cup on straight after a major tennis tournament. What was the ITF thinking?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There's only so many weeks they schedule it with the long ATP season. It's the only place they can really put it.

Davis Cup is generally Friday-Sunday, gives the AO champion a couple days. Plus, if the champion is from a strong team (i.e. Nadal), they probably don't have to worry too much about turning up. Ferrer almost won the Davis Cup 2 years ago, so they'll survive a tie.

I don't even know which of the top players are actually playing this year though. Nadal seems to have taken some time off, and Federer doesn't always turn up.

Davis Cup is generally Friday-Sunday, gives the AO champion a couple days. Plus, if the champion is from a strong team (i.e. Nadal), they probably don't have to worry too much about turning up. Ferrer almost won the Davis Cup 2 years ago, so they'll survive a tie.

I don't even know which of the top players are actually playing this year though. Nadal seems to have taken some time off, and Federer doesn't always turn up.

Djokovic isn't playing, pretty much guarantees a first round loss for serbia

I'd like to see Federer commit to the Davis Cup this year to try win it with Stan Wawrinka, the only thing he doesn't have and they have a great chance together.

Agreed, a Davis Cup would do absolute wonders for Federer's resume, and with the decent form they are both in, plus an Olympic gold together, it's really now or never.

If Federer manages to pull off his 18th slam at this AO, I would like to see him satisfied and then commit to Davis Cup for 2014.

Well Djokovic has a reasonable excuse, with Troicki and Tipsy both struggling with certain issues at the moment. Him and Zimonjic might as well take the year off.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back