Dayle Garlett?

Remove this Banner Ad

The one pushing for selection for Swans last week was Dayle Garlett. Different class. Why isn't he in? Oh, that's right ... we rate clean skins ahead of talent every time - which likely explains our midfield issues .... :)
Yeah, but Harding also saw fit to not play him in the midfield, which bemused a few of us.....

Agreed 100%.

You agree he looked different class?

And, how the heck does Embers get a look in on the back of his game?

Do you suspect he will go first round providing he keeps his act together?

after the reports about how embers played last week it is pretty bad that he is getting a look in.

Agreed 100%.

You agree he looked different class?

And, how the heck does Embers get a look in on the back of his game?

Did Murray Newman play and if so how did he go?

I hope that Embers does not get another game unless he starts applying defensive pressure (and puts his body on the line) rather then just running ahead of the ball.

I hope that Embers does not get another game unless he starts applying defensive pressure (and puts his body on the line) rather then just running ahead of the ball.

Still out with his knee atm. It's been at 3 weeks for the last couple so not sure when he will be back.

There's a place for guys who run forward to space but we need them to be first class finishers. In the last couple of years Embers hasn't shown that and v Subiaco on the weekend he was D grade in that area .... naming him, even on an extended bench sends a weird message for mine

And the opposition.

Maybe but again it's old school amateur hour stuff. In an age of legal gambling under which the AFL and it's clubs benefit there should be greater transparency around injuries.

Again, have a look at the NFL and see the difference in professionalism in this area. The era of trying to get one over someone by pretending a hurt player was fit or vice versa should have ended in the 80's. You really think not being honest about the injury status of Murray Newman benefits the club at all?

On the subject of Newman, once he has match fitness, I'm all for putting him straight into the team for three or four games straight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe but again it's old school amateur hour stuff. In an age of legal gambling under which the AFL and it's clubs benefit there should be greater transparency around injuries.

Again, have a look at the NFL and see the difference in professionalism in this area. The era of trying to get one over someone by pretending a hurt player was fit or vice versa should have ended in the 80's. You really think not being honest about the injury status of Murray Newman benefits the club at all?

Maybe, if his 'knee injury' is in fact time off to deal with personal issues relating to his GBH charges, for example. (That's just a theory I pulled out of the air, by the way, I have nothing to back it up).

In relation to giving the opposition information, you can see why the club would want to give no info/misleading info out to screw up their planning - hiding when players will be back, what their injuries are etc. They've also been known to give out false information on the nature of a player's injury to avoid the opposition targeting the injury.

At the end of the day, the club is there to win games of footy, not help bookies frame markets.

Maybe, if his 'knee injury' is in fact time off to deal with personal issues relating to his GBH charges, for example. (That's just a theory I pulled out of the air, by the way, I have nothing to back it up).

In relation to giving the opposition information, you can see why the club would want to give no info/misleading info out to screw up their planning - hiding when players will be back, what their injuries are etc. They've also been known to give out false information on the nature of a player's injury to avoid the opposition targeting the injury.

At the end of the day, the club is there to win games of footy, not help bookies frame markets.

Well yes and no. They seem to want to operate like a large corporate as regards codes of conduct and the like but like the West Coast Amateurs when it comes to injury.

It's a punishable offence in gambling dependant sports (see Horse Racing) to mislead the public. The AFL already punishes sides (in a very minor way) for misleading with its named sides and they do so in large part because of gambling and also for reasons of professionalism. I'm not sure injuries should be any different.

Of course if the sports media contained journalists with a ******* clue, they'd investigate these things instead of just repeating the official injury list without question.

On the subject of Newman, once he has match fitness, I'm all for putting him straight into the team for three or four games straight.

As his sponsor I wholeheartedly agree with you.

However, if I was not his sponsor and I had been following his form in the WALF and his progress from the pre season I would be that much against giving him senior games unless he is kicking the MCs door down with very good WAFL performances.

This season I think he's managed to only play two consecutive games (may have happened twice I think), never more because of injury, suspension (club impossed) and wafl byes. I'd say it might be best just for him to play out the season in the WAFL to just get some consistent footy into him and make sure he is ready and willing (both mind and body) to make real progress over the next pre season.

Side note, it's now been 4 months since he was meant to have been in court for his police matters and there has been no mention of it since.

It's a punishable offence in gambling dependant sports (see Horse Racing) to mislead the public. The AFL already punishes sides (in a very minor way) for misleading with its named sides and they do so in large part because of gambling and also for reasons of professionalism. I'm not sure injuries should be any different.

It might be a punishable offence in horse racing but I don't think that's the case in other sports. Some states (not WA) have recently passed legislation making it an offence to use inside information, or to corrupt the outcome of an event, but I don't think those provisions would extend to sporting teams giving out misleading information.

It might be a punishable offence in horse racing but I don't think that's the case in other sports. Some states (not WA) have recently passed legislation making it an offence to use inside information, or to corrupt the outcome of an event, but I don't think those provisions would extend to sporting teams giving out misleading information.

Indeed.

Lets let amateur hour continue.

I bet Geelong & Hawthorn are really ****ed not knowing Murray Newmans real status....

It's silly.

Well FiveStrings and Eagle87 on Anzac Day Murray had a knee brace, osteoarthritis type, on and told me he was 5 weeks away. So they knew back then.;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back