Traded Dayne Beams (2014-2018)

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-04-02/beams-the-dean

"He's the James Dean of the competition, he's cool, he's calm. There might be stuff going on inside him but you'd never tell with Beamsy, he's a very cool customer.

I don't like this comparison. Beams just turned 25, and James Dean's output dropped significantly at that age.

Brisbane captain Tom Rockliff says Lions expect Collingwood to ‘go after’ former player Dayne Beams

BRISBANE captain Tom Rockliff expects Collingwood to “go after’’ ex-Magpie and gun Lions recruit Dayne Beams at the Gabba tomorrow night.

Beams made a high-profile and highly charged switch from Collingwood to Brisbane in the off-season to be closer to his family and he will be the central figure in the Round 1 blockbuster.

The premiership player, All-Australian and Collingwood best-and-fairest winner was likened to movie star James Dean by senior coach Justin Leppitsch yesterday and he will need to be cool, calm and collected if he faces a physical and verbal onslaught.

Dayne Beams excited to be playing alongside younger brother Claye for Brisbane Lions

THE backyard dream will become a reality under the bright lights of the national stage for the Beams family on Saturday night.

Dayne and Claye Beams always hoped to play together at the highest level even as they engaged in typically ferocious brotherly battles at their Gold Coast family home.

And tonight, they have a common enemy.

“It is going to be a bit different before, during and after the game given I spent six years at Collingwood but it’s going to be great playing alongside Claye,’’ Dayne said.

“It’s going to be great for all of our family as well.

“I know there has been a big build-up to the game which is great for the fans and the footy club to get such a drawcard game for Round 1.

“I’m excited about it. I’m always excited by Round 1 because you work hard over summer. But my mindset and preparation is the same as it would be for any opponent.’’

Round 1: Match report

Star Lions recruit Dayne Beams also saw plenty of the football, amassing a game-high 32 disposals in his first match since his move from Collingwood - but he only kicked the ball seven times, and was minded closely by Taylor Adams for most of the night.

It wasn't a good night for Dayne. He was obviously very nervous playing his first real game for us and having to face his old club. A lot of his disposals were uncharacteristically poor. It was just one of those nights where things seemed to go wrong every time he touched the ball (well in the first 2-3 quarters at least).

In contrast his brother seemed to have perhaps his best ever performance. I don't think it was a coincidence - he would know better than anyone else the pressure Dayne felt going into the match.

It wasn't a good night for Dayne. He was obviously very nervous playing his first real game for us and having to face his old club. A lot of his disposals were uncharacteristically poor. It was just one of those nights where things seemed to go wrong every time he touched the ball (well in the first 2-3 quarters at least).

In contrast his brother seemed to have perhaps his best ever performance. I don't think it was a coincidence - he would know better than anyone else the pressure Dayne felt going into the match.

Pies out of the way first up will help in the long run...and a poultry 33 possessions can be worked on too :)

Yeah Beams was totally off. He is a very clean player normally, that game he was Banfield-esk.

Promising that he had a shocker, still got over 30 touches and 9 clearances IIRC. Many positives there. With Rocky now out i expect him to really want to put on a good showing this week, he wouldnt have been happy.

Claye will lift this year, having his bro around will have him in a good head space i think and just fill him with confidence.

The fumbling was contagious. North had the same issue for the same reason - the opposition's pressure. Both teams will probably be slicker this week - Etihad is conducive to surer ball handling although, on the other hand, players can find it difficult to keep their feet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"Dayne Beams ranks third in the competition with 51 total contested possessions after three rounds – 82 per cent more than any of his teammates"

I think he also rates third for total clearances in the competition from my brief flick through the stats.

Looking forward to us being able to control the ball better when Hanley and Rockliff are in the team with Beams, Rich and Redden. Hanley is our tempo barometer, but for 2015; I just want him in the team and getting used to his new teammates during the second half of the season :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back