Senior Dayne Zorko (2011-)

Remove this Banner Ad

Qscan Injury Report: Zorko & Rich Update

Scan results have today confirmed minor hamstring strains for Brisbane Lions captain Dayne Zorko and defender Daniel Rich.

The veteran pair both left the field in the first half of Thursday night’s win over the Western Bulldogs after experiencing some hamstring awareness.

Zorko and Rich are only expected to miss next Sunday’s clash with Essendon at The Gabba.

Zorko: "It's Certainly Not Panic Stations"

Zorko-Article.png

Zorko said it would be "reckless" to return anything short of 100 per cent.

"It's certainly not panic stations," he said.

"We had a really good start to the season and although we want to win every single week, we're certainly not going to be risking players at this time of the year with a finals series around the corner.

"I don't feel any extra pressure.

"The boys have won without me before, they've won without a number of players before.

"We need to get back to our basics this week and do the fundamentals right."

Moments of Change: Captain Dayne

The little (c) that sits besides the captain’s name on the teamsheet each week has been a source of much debate and discussion over the history of the Brisbane Football Club.

Thirteen of the club’s 338 players over 36 years have had the official title of captain, or co-captain, and together they are an intriguing part of the timeless debate over the best captaincy model.

Can a first-gamer be captain? Should it be just one captain? Perhaps co-captains? Or how about five captains?

Brisbane have done it all from the moment Mark Mickan, a 26-year-old ruckman from SANFL club West Adelaide, captained the Brisbane Bears in their first game – and his first game.

Each of the 12 who have followed have represented a significant moment of change. Part of the evolution, the inevitable ups and downs of elite football that in mid-2018 saw the job fall to Dayne Zorko.

Soon to become the Lions’ fourth 100-game captain behind Michael Voss (210), Jonathan Brown (128) and Roger Merrett (125), Zorko stands among a group that will forever hold a special place in a captaincy history that began with a quietly-spoken and ever-thoughtful man who led more by his actions than his voice.

Beams led the Lions through 2017 and the nine 10 games of 2018 before standing down for personal reasons following the death of his father. Zorko, vice-captain at the time, became the 14th player appointed in his own right to the Brisbane captaincy.

It was another remarkable chapter in the career of the one-time Broadbeach bricklayer, who was overlooked by every AFL club in four consecutive drafts and eventually signed by the Gold Coast Suns on an expansion concession only to be traded immediately to Brisbane after the Suns had expressed concerns over Zorko’s long-term fitness.

The Lions secured Zorko in exchange for selection #34 in the 2011 National Draft, which was subsequently on-traded to Geelong and used by the Cats to pick up Shane Kirsten, who played 37 games for the Cats and 29 games for Fremantle.

Eleven years on history says it is one of the great trades. Among 157 first-time draftees in 2011, which was set-up draft for the GWS Giants, only one has played more than Zorko’s 222 games. Brandon Ellis, dual Richmond premiership player now at Gold Coast, has played 227.

Only four players drafted in 2011 have had more possessions than Zorko’s 4724. Lachie Neale, originally pick #48 to Fremantle, heads the list with 5723 from original GWS draftee turned Western Bulldogs’ midfielder Adam Treloar (5656), pick #15 Ellis (4847) and ex-Adelaide rookie Rory Laird (4767).

Only five players from the Class of 2011 Draft have kicked more than Zorko’s 215 goals. Jeremy Cameron, a GWS foundation signing now at Geelong has kicked most at 512 – more than double the 274 goals of Chad Wingard, who was pick #6 to Port Adelaide and is now at Hawthorn, foundation GWS signing Toby Greene (253) and Josh Bruce, another GWS foundation signing now at the Bulldogs. He has kicked 233.

Only Neale (128), Sydney father/son pick turned Hawthorn Brownlow Medallist Tom Mitchell (114) and Treloar (81) have polled more Brownlow Medal votes than Zorko’s 80, while Zorko’s five Merrett/Murray Medals and two second placings is a clear highwater mark for the 2011 Draft.

It is a phenomenal record for a player who debuted for the Lions as the as the medical substitute for the Round 7 2012 clash with Collingwood at the Gabba after a delayed start to his first season.

It was the 69th game for Daniel Rich, his only teammate from game one who is still at the club. He replaced the injured Pearce Hanley, played 56 minutes and had two kicks, six handballs and two tackles in a 58-point loss.

After 131 games under Brown, Adcock, Rockliff and Beams, including what club records suggest was five games as fill-in captain in 2015-16, Zorko had a 38-93 win/loss record. Since taking over the captaincy his record is 58-33.

While it’s more a reflection the club’s overall position there can be no disputing the fact that the now 33-year-old has done a wonderful job.

Exactly how many games Zorko has been captain is a matter of debate. AFL records suggest it is 96 but club records say 97 – one as fill-in captain in 2015, when Zorko, Rich and Hanley were vice-captains under Rockliff, four as fill-in captain in 2016, when Beams, Zorko, Rich, Hanley and Daniel Merrett made up the leadership group under Rockliff, and 92 games outright since replacing Beams.

Regardless, now in his 11th year, Zorko sits beautifully alongside the club’s very best.

Think I owe Tinka an apology. I apologise for making my assessment based off so little evidence and hearsay. However I don't condone wishing death upon a family member.

"If" the personal attacks on Zorks family life are true. I can see why he was upset and reacted the way he did.

It does make sense that Melbourne and the AFL didn't want to pursue this further if this the Petty news is true.

Club Statement: Zorko & Petty Incident

The Brisbane Lions have investigated an on-field incident that occurred in last night’s game against Melbourne between Dayne Zorko and Harrison Petty.

Zorko has been counselled by Lions senior management including CEO Greg Swann, Chairman Andrew Wellington, Senior Coach Chris Fagan and General Manager Football Danny Daly.

Zorko admits he acted inappropriately in comments made to Harrison Petty and is committed to controlling his emotions for the better of himself and the Club.

“I have apologised to Harrison for the inappropriate comment I made to him last night,” he said.

“I’m remorseful for my actions and take full responsibility for the hurt caused to Harrison, his family and the Melbourne Football Club.

“In reflection, I understand I need to be a better leader, and have spoken with the Club who have reinforced this.”

The Brisbane Lions have also extended an apology to Harrison and the Melbourne Football Club.

The Club thanks Melbourne for their cooperation and for working together to resolve the issue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

‘Disgusting’: Dayne Zorko sledging scandal turned on its head

There has been a call for the AFL to re-open its investigation into the Dayne Zorko sledging scandal with revelations about “disgusting” things said to provoke him

The Brisbane Lions captain on Wednesday publicly addressed his on-field sledge of Melbourne’s Harrison Petty, suggesting it wasn’t unprovoked.

And just hours later it was revealed by veteran journalist Caroline Wilson that “disgusting” things were said to him by at least one Demons player.

The AFL community was left in shock last Friday night when the Demons’ win over Brisbane was marred by the distressing scenes of Petty in tears at three-quarter time.

Zorko said sorry to Petty straight after the game and the Demons defender accepted his apology.

The Lions have not punished Zorko, with both Melbourne and Brisbane keen to move on from the ugly incident.

Wilson reported on Channel 9’s Footy Classified on Wednesday night that both clubs and the AFL were happy to move on from the incident without any disciplinary action being taken because both teams had acted in an unsavoury manner.

Wilson said the AFL should consider investigating what was said to Zorko as she revealed one comment made was of a personal nature about the women in the 34-year-old’s life.

“I’m told that some of the stuff said to Zorko — and he gives as good as he gets, he’s a famous sledger — was pretty disgusting,” she said.

“If you were going to investigate what was said, you’d be more investigating what was said to Zorko about women in his life [that was] far worse than what was said to Petty.”

She said the AFL was “very happy” for the scandal to simply “go away”.

“The AFL got involved and dropped this case like a hot potato by the weekend,” Wilson said. “Melbourne were very, very keen for it to go away as well and both clubs said they were happy with the way it was handled. There was a big call from within some media circles to go on with it.

“It was a terrible thing to say, but I don’t think there was any personal issue with Petty and his mother. It was just a terrible thing to say.”

She said comments made by Demons ruckman Max Gawn days after the incident were out of line because both clubs had crossed the line.

Gawn said this week Zorko’s sledge was “the first time I have heard anything that deep”.

Wilson said in response: “Max is right he (Zorko) crossed the line, but the Melbourne players crossed the line too.

“What was said was pretty disgusting and let’s not think Dayne Zorko is one out on this.”

Speaking on Melbourne radio on Wednesday, Zorko reiterated his apology, albeit with a caveat.

“I apologised to Harrison on the final siren and obviously that apology still stands,” Zorko told SEN’s The Run Home.

“My remorse still stands. If I could take it back, there’s no doubt I would.”

Zorko acknowledged he crossed the line but explained the game between the Demons and Lions was a fiery encounter.

“I just wanted to get across that it was an intense game,” he continued.

“From the first bounce there was to-ing and fro-ing from both sides of the fence. Players across the field stepped up to the line all game, and I acknowledge that I certainly crossed that.

“I just reckon it’s really important that Lions fans and fans in general understand that it wasn’t just an unprovoked sledge, and it wasn’t in isolation. As I said, it was to-ing and fro-ing for the majority of the game and remorsefully I accept that I’ve overstepped the mark.

“I thought it was really important that I came out and said something and that people understood that.

“Through the heat of battle words are said and for me, in this case, I overstepped the mark.

“Moving forward I need to learn from this and potentially the whole industry can learn from this and understand sledging can have serious effects on people and we need to be extremely careful in the way we do it.”

Zorko conceded he needed “to be better”, adding the saga should serve as a lesson for the broader AFL community.

“I’m not sure sledging will ever go out of the game ... but it’s important you don’t cross the line like I did,” he said.

“Moving forward I just need to be better and use this as an educational piece for me.

“The last few days haven’t been easy for myself or my family, which I’m really sorry for, but obviously understanding that on the other side of the fence it would’ve been hard for Harrison Petty and his family as well.”

There have been persistent calls for Zorko to be stripped of the Lions’ captaincy, while the footy world has been astonished he hasn’t been penalised by Brisbane or the AFL.

Commentators urged the AFL to suspend Zorko but he is free to play in Brisbane’s elimination final against Richmond next Thursday.

“I have had extremely long conversations with the club hierarchy and they have heard both sides of the story,” Zorko said.

“The captaincy is something that is really important to me and like every year that will be decided over the pre-season.

“As a leader and a player I just need to be better. The last few days haven’t been easy for me or my family which I am really remorseful for but I understand it was very hurtful for “Harrison Petty and his family which I am sorry for.

“To my knowledge I didn’t think the AFL would get involved. I apologised post match and both clubs were satisfied with where things were at.

“I think with both parties and the AFLPA there has been a lot of apologies. Harrison accepted my apology post match and I know through different channels there has been further discussions.”

Done absolutely nothing more then lead from the front. Head down bum up working as hard as ever. Every boo or hit he cops he has taken it on the chin and kept moving. A big reason we are 2-0 this finals series.

My hat is off to you Zorks. What a champ.

Lions approaching prelim with different mindset, says Fagan

Zorko said that two years ago a lot of the pre-game talk was how close they were to making the Grand Final, rather than focusing on the process.

He said the club was now more mature after experiencing finals losses the past three years.

"You can't look too far ahead, you have to do exactly what's required and do the basics well and whatever comes of that, comes of that," Zorko said.

"That experience and adversity we've faced in the past few years with our defeats, certainly has spurred us and given us a great belief and understanding of what it actually takes to be in this position and win games."

Zorko's captaincy has been scrutinised since his verbal incident with Melbourne's Harrison Petty in the final round of the home and away season.

Fagan said it helped his 33-year-old "focus on what needs to be focused on".

He has responded with a no-fuss 21 and 22 disposals in both finals and proved a crucial cog in both wins.

"It's how you respond to things that happen to you that decide what sort of leader you are," Fagan said.

"He was able to play well against Richmond and came out with the same approach last week against Melbourne.

"He's probably just got a point to prove."

Zorko admitted in previous finals he had not taken enough control.

"One thing I've done in the past two games is understood the moment and understand what's needed and let my football take over from there," he said.

"In the past I've probably encouraged the boys with words and not gone in and done it with actions.

"Your leaders need to stand up by actions, there's no point talking about it."

Lions youngster Darcy Wilmot playing for late father, Dayne Zorko on sledge fallout

Dayne Zorko is two wins away from becoming a premiership captain.

Just four weeks ago, some critics thought the 229-gamer was not the right player to lead Brisbane.

But Zorko has since helped the Lions reach their second preliminary final in three seasons, spearheading them to knockout wins over Richmond and Melbourne during the past fortnight.

The 33-year-old’s performances in those games have caught the eye of a four-time flag-winning skipper who happens to be a former teammate.

“What he’s improved and impressed me so much in the space of two weeks is he did not fuss one little bit about Melbourne,” ex-Hawthorn and Lions star Luke Hodge told SEN.

“What I’ve probably been critical of is his emotions get the better of him and that’s how Brisbane play.

“He was calm last week, he was composed, he didn’t want to fight.

“He just did what he had to do as captain and stayed mentally in the game, and his team followed him.

“I felt that the leadership from Zorko really stood out last week and that was why they were able to overcome a team that had beaten them so convincingly in previous times.”

eff424b37dad848396fbe7b4ca5a3bf7

Zorko had been at the forefront of the Lions’ previous clash with Melbourne – a 58-point loss at the Gabba in round 23.

He was involved in plenty of verbal and physical by-play, before comments he made to Harry Petty left the Demons defender in tears.

Although Zorko apologised post-game and there were reports he copped ugly barbs from Melbourne players, he came under fire.

Not that the midfielder paid much attention to what was being said externally.

“You can’t get too excited when people are pumping you up and you can’t certainly get too emotional when they’re having a dig or saying something ill of you,” Zorko he told News Corp.

“The people’s opinions that matter are your family … and the people inside the four walls at our football club – and that’s all I’ve ever paid attention to.

“If you don’t know the whole story … it’d be rude to judge.”

Zorko would not go into what he said to Petty or to him that night.

“I’ve dealt with the matter, both clubs have dealt with the matter, there’s nothing else to comment on it, it’s done now,” he said.

Zorko said he had hardly thought about the fallout leading up to last Friday night’s game.

“It was everyone else that’s kept talking about it,” he said.

“We didn’t speak about it during the week, we didn’t speak about it after the game, it was just two teams playing.

“Both teams understood what was at stake and there were bigger and better things to get done than worry about arguing with each other.”

Fierce defensive pressure and focusing on themselves were crucial to toppling the Demons.

“In the past few times we’ve played them … we over-analysed the way they played and tried to come up with these magical games plans to beat them,” Zorko said.

“What we did on Friday night was just play normally.”

After straight-sets finals exits in two of the past three seasons, Zorko said Brisbane had learnt not to panic, took its opportunities and were intent on being more selfless.

“Don’t try to do anything extraordinary, just do the basics well,” he said of their mindset.

Brisbane’s triumph was its first at the MCG since 2014 and snapped a four-game losing streak against Melbourne.

Zorko said the club’s so-called hoodoo at the ground was not discussed pre-match.

Being without star forward Joe Daniher, who flew home for the birth of his daughter, also was not a talking point.

“That’s another thing we’ve learnt in the past few years – you can’t harp on adversity, you’ve just got to get through it and find a different way,” the skipper said.

Daniher and ruckman Oscar McInerney will return on Friday night for a rematch of the 2020 preliminary final – a 40-point Geelong win at the Gabba.
The Cats have reached this stage in 12 of the past 16 attempts.

Brisbane has only two players who have won preliminary finals – Charlie Cameron (at Adelaide in 2017) and Neale (Fremantle, 2013).

Despite it not being at home and the gulf in major-round experience, Zorko said the Lions were much better placed than two years ago to make a flag decider.

Reaching a grand final would be special for a club that claimed the wooden spoon in 2018 and was fourth-bottom just three years ago.

“We’ve been able to achieve great things since Fages took over (in 2016) … but our journey isn’t where we want to be yet,” Zorko said.

“We’ve had some disappointment in finals but we’ve got an opportunity this weekend to fix that up and that’s exciting for us.”

2023 a Go for Zorko

Brisbane Lions Captain Dayne Zorko has recommitted to the Club for the 2023 season.

Zorko, a five-time Lions Best and Fairest winner, played 22 games this season and finished strongly by leading from the front during his side’s finals campaign.

The 33-year-old said he was confident he still had plenty to offer, as both a player and leader, as he prepares for his 12th season with the Lions.

“The Club has been building towards something really exciting the past few seasons and with that looking to continue next year, I really wanted to be a part of it,” Zorko said.

“Even though I am not getting any younger, I have been really enjoying my football as we have such a great group of players and people at the Club.

“I am extremely thankful for the Brisbane Lions to back me to go around again, and I look forward to joining the boys in making the Club and all of our fans proud in 2023.”

Brisbane Lions General Manager Football, Danny Daly, said the re-signing of Zorko was a boost to the Club’s pursuit of future success.

“We are thrilled to have Dayne playing on again next year and are more than confident he will continue to play a valuable role on and off the field,” Daly said.

“From the day he joined the Brisbane Lions he has given his absolute all to the Club and he continues to put in the work to become the best he can be.

“He still offers plenty as a player, but as we look to bring in more young and exciting talent, the leadership and mentoring that Dayne can offer them is invaluable.”

Zorko was drafted to the Brisbane Lions in 2011 after coming through the Queensland pathway, playing junior football at both Surfers Paradise Demons and the Broadbeach Cats Australian Football Clubs on the Gold Coast. He made his AFL debut the following year.

In his 230 games Zorko has won five Merrett-Murray Medals, two Club leading goalkicker awards and was named All-Australian in 2017.

The 33-year-old has captained the Lions since 2018.

Zorko Near “career-Best Shape” Ahead of 12th AFL Season

Brisbane defender Daniel Rich is incredibly impressed by skipper Dayne Zorko’s condition throughout pre-season.

Zorko is coming off the back of a 2022 in which he didn’t quite live up to his own high standard, averaging the fourth lowest disposal count of his career (19.9) as he dealt with multiple minor injuries.

However, despite coming into his 12th AFL season, Rich believes the 33-year-old is close to being in the best shape of his career.

“The little man, he’s one of my good mates, he’s doing extremely well and he’s probably in, to be honest, nearly career-best shape,” Rich told SEN’s Dwayne’s World.

“I suppose probably the last two and a half, three years for him has been pretty interrupted with what’s happened, what he’s had to do with his body.

“He’s had continuity, he’s just in ripping shape and almost seems like he’s 25 again.

“I don’t want to pump him up too much, his head will get too big.”

While Zorko is technically still the Brisbane captain, Rich explained that the position is currently up in the air, with the players yet to cast their votes.

“We’ve still got a few weeks until that’s all voted upon, so time will tell with that one,” he said.

“All the guys who would be seen as I suppose potential candidates are training really well, are leading really well, so whoever does end up in that position is going to be super for our club.

“Those guys who are right behind the potential future captain will be just as strong, it’s a good position to be in.”

Dayne Zorko Steps Down As Captain

One of Brisbane’s most successful and highly credentialed captains, Dayne Zorko, has made the call to step down as skipper after five years in the role.

Zorko first took over the reins as interim captain for most of the 2018 season, leading the team for the first time onto the Gabba in Round 10 against Sydney.

His captaincy was made official ahead of the 2019 season. The former Queensland junior becoming the 57th person to captain the Brisbane Lions in their combined 133-year VFL/AFL history of Fitzroy and the Brisbane Bears, and the 11th captain post-merger.

In his first official year in the role, Zorko led the Lions to their first finals appearance in 10 years and since then has been prolific from both an individual and leadership perspective guiding them to September football every year since.

He has led the team for 105 games, placing him in a special group of Lions greats that have captained the Club; Michael Voss (210), Jonathan Brown (128) and Roger Merrett (125).

Forever a Lions legend, Zorko has a long list of career highlights including playing 230 AFL games, has been awarded the Club’s highest honour, the Merrett-Murray Medal five times (2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021) and was named in the 2017 All Australian team and 2019 All Australian squad.

“It’s been a privilege and a pleasure to lead a Club with such incredible history and I am truly grateful for the opportunity to be at its helm the past five years,” he said.

“Over my years as captain, I’m proud to have helped the Club be more respected again amongst the AFL world and to have helped lead the charge in the successes we’ve had on the field. I step down at a time when the Club is in really good hands and entering a new chapter.

“It’s something I have really, really thought about (stepping down) and wanted to do. I’m obviously coming towards the end of my career so I feel the timing is right to let the new leader find their own feet in the role. I’ll be there to support them the whole way in whatever way I can.”

Zorko’s story has always been one of resilience. A quick and gutsy midfielder, he’d dominated the local Queensland competition for a number of years as he rose through the ranks, but was overlooked by every AFL club in four consecutive drafts (2007-10).

In 2011 he got his call up to Brisbane, the following year the then 23-year-old made his debut in Round 7, 2012 and has never looked back, nabbing the nickname “The Magician” with his ability to kick freakish goals.

It was in Chris Fagan’s second year as Senior Coach that Zorko first took over as captain. The duo have been central figures in the Lions’ resurgence and Fagan says he will always cherish the bond the pair have formed.

“Dayne leaves an exceptional legacy after holding the captaincy at such a pivotal time in Lions history,” he said.

“He took over half-way through my second year. His leadership and drive have been key factors in our performance improvement, and you simply can’t argue with what the team has achieved under his captaincy.

“His achievements have extended off the field too, Dayne is a true Clubman and has always been one to put his hand up for the good of the Club.

“Dayne understands young leaders and I have no doubt he’ll help mentor our next captain.

“He is a fearless player, with a fierce determination in his own performance and also that of the team. Dayne will always be recognised as one of Brisbane’s most influential skippers.”

Zorko is expected to notch another milestone this season as he charges towards playing his 250th AFL game.

The Club will soon vote in its leadership group for Season 2023 before it appoints the 12th Brisbane Lions Captain over the coming weeks.

Zorko informed the playing group of his decision earlier this week.

Fagan Reveals Process Behind 'Selfless' Zorko Call

BRISBANE coach Chris Fagan has revealed Dayne Zorko's decision to step down as Lions captain was two years in the making.

Speaking on Wednesday morning, Fagan lauded his "selfless" former skipper, saying he was glad the "exceptional" Zorko got to go out on his own terms.

The 34-year-old took over from Dayne Beams midway through 2018, when Fagan's coaching win-loss record was a miserly 5-26, and helped the club rise to four straight finals appearances.

"It's been a two-year process I reckon," Fagan said when asked about Zorko's decision.

"We chatted two years ago, he was 32 then and I said, 'Mate, there's going to come a time when you should think about whether you want to be captain or not.'

"I said, 'There's two choices, you can go on until I tap you on the shoulder or you can go until you think it's the right time to change and leave a legacy'."

Fagan said they revisited the conversation 12 months ago and decided the time wasn't right for a change, and then again following last season.

It wasn't until Monday, with Brisbane about to start voting on its leadership group, that the coach raised it again.

"I think he was worried that I didn't want him to say that he didn't want to captain," he said.

"I had a very open mind about it because I always wanted it to be his call, he deserves that, and he got that.

"I'm not saying I would have tapped him on the shoulder this year, but I never wanted to do that because of what he's done for our club, so I'm so pleased he's done it on his terms."

Fagan and Zorko, like many coaches and captains, have a great relationship that has grown over the past five years.

They are a major part of Brisbane's resurgence over that period, with Zorko's emotional intelligence growing to match his energy and positivity, the coach said.

"It would have been massively difficult for him to make that decision based on the optimism around our football club," Fagan said.

"He's taken the selfless approach, that's one of our key values and that's what he's done and I'm really proud of him."

Once the player vote determines the size of Brisbane's leadership group, those wanting to be captain will then be interviewed.

Fagan was reluctant to single out candidates, but expected a decision by "some time around the Geelong game I reckon", with the Lions facing the Cats in a practice match on March 2.

"I have no idea who will come out on top," he said.

"I don't know if we'll have one captain, two captains, all things are on the table."

5 Players to Watch in 2023

While a hamstring injury has interrupted and otherwise flawless pre-season, Dayne Zorko is a new man in 2023.

The 34-year-old returned to training in career-best shape. Noticeably fitter and stronger, the veteran looks to have put his niggling Achilles issues behind him as he eyes off a big 2023.

Participating in most of the Clubs pre-season conditioning and skills drills, Lions fans could see Zorko back to his electrifying best in the upcoming season.

Qscan Injury Update: Trio Ruled Out For Round One

Dayne Zorko has been ruled out of the Brisbane Lions season opener against Port Adelaide on Saturday afternoon.

The 34-year-old continues to recover from a hamstring problem sustained in pre-season.

“Dayne is training really well and has made significant progress, but we need to ensure he has the opportunity to get more training volume under his belt,” said Lions High Performance Manager, Damien Austin.

“The priority is to have him not only 100% ready to play but 100% ready to continue to play once his season gets underway.”

Qscan Injury Update: Zorko Given Green Light

The Lions could be set for a boost ahead of Round 2, with former Skipper Dayne Zorko available for selection.

The 34-year-old was ruled out of Brisbane’s clash with Port Adelaide but has been given the green light after overcoming a hamstring problem.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back