Random de Grammar FRED

Remove this Banner Ad

I know a teacher who tells their students 'could've' is spelt 'could of'.
My Year 5 teacher tried to teach me 'definitely' as 'definately'.

I was an absolute spelling ace, and knew it as 'definitely', but I decided hey, she's a teacher, she's probably right and I started spelling it the other way.

I was left in the last 2 of the Year 5 spelling bee, and wouldn't you guess what my word was. I will never ever forgive Mrs Donner for that.

My Year 5 teacher tried to teach me 'definitely' as 'definately'.

I was an absolute spelling ace, and knew it as 'definitely', but I decided hey, she's a teacher, she's probably right and I started spelling it the other way.

I was left in the last 2 of the Year 5 spelling bee, and wouldn't you guess what my word was. I will never ever forgive Mrs Donner for that.

What's her address,I know people.

I used to read some EPL forums (during the off-season, you know :)), those guys just take the cake...

Poster A: "We should be a chance in this game as our strikers are in great form.
Poster B: "Az if mate, youz iznt gunna win coz youz iz sheet".
Poster C: "Messi is gunna ter youz a new won as hiz da sheet".

After reading these constructive arguments for a couple of hours, I'm happy to tolerate a little sloppy grammar on Bigfooty...

I used to read some EPL forums (during the off-season, you know :)), those guys just take the cake...

Poster A: "We should be a chance is this game as our strikers are in great form.
Poster B: "Az if mate, youz iznt gunna win coz youz iz sheet".
Poster C: "Messi is gunna ter youz a new won as hiz da sheet".

After reading these constructive arguments for a couple of hours, I'm happy to tolerate a little sloppy grammar on Bigfooty...
Careful! You'll upset the anal retentives.:rolleyes:

On "ise" versus "ize"...

I used to hate Americanisms, until I read a great book by Bill Bryson, called "Made in America", which convinced me that the English language needs to continue evolving to remain healthy. An interesting fact is that American English is closer to the way English was spoken in the 1700's than British English is. Similarly, Canadian French is more like Old French than what is used in France today. Frozen in time.

So, why on earth should we retain spellings that no longer have any phonetic relationship with the way we say them? Of course, they used to.

For example, try explaining to a kid why it is important to spell the work "through" as we do.
It is only that way because of the way people spoke hundreds of years ago. I am all for evolving to "thru".

Ugh, yeah and its forced upon us with bloody spell checkers on computers and iphones.
Even when you select "Australian English" it still corrects it to "ize".

Don't get me started on bloody auto-correct.....
Sorry I'm going to have to...EFA;)
I do this a bit. Being a web developer/designer, I often find myself writing color or center when not writing code.
This.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm a repeat offender. Sue me.

It all comes down to
"In my opinion" = 11 letters + 2 spaces
"For mine" = 7 letters + 1 space

Therefore "for mine" indicates a lesser use of the keyboard, which is used to navigate around the Internet, which is powered by electricity, which is not good for the environment.

We're retaining the ecosystem. Deal with it.

But "I think" is only 6 letters + 1 space :) . Or does pressing the SHIFT key use even more energy than a regular keystroke ;)

Another example of footy-speak is the use of "for mine". The person I first noticed doing it was Luke Darcy, but now it seems to be quite common amongst many commentators as well as BF posters.

I don't understand why people just don't say "I think" or "in my opinion". "For mine" doesn't even make sense from a grammatical point of view!
Yeah, nah.

I'll tell you what had me chomping at the bit? The fact that North supporters thought Josh Catty was theres. Alot of discussion was exchanged between us and them, and all I could think of the whole time was "Your all idiots". After loosing out on him, which according to Hard to Beat couldn't of been prevented, I can't wait till we're versing them at KP again. I bet their shitting in their dacks at the thought to. Catty will be a star, and his a fair bloke to. I'm telling use all this, and I'm not even bias. Catty will be better then Kelly. There's heaps of proof to back that statement up I mean for starters his a much better kick than Pops and his a fair ball extractor but most importantly the Gold Coast rigged his B&F count because they knew he was leaving so he really should have finished top five.

maybe i was being too bright there, i'll take that back. ZOMG! I'm defiantly gonna go to heaps of Cats game this year to see Catty up close, though I'll have to introduce swingeing cuts to help that. He'll be a good player in a dominate team with Selwood, Bundy ect ect, not to mention he looks supa! Whom else could have beem such a great fit for us! Like literally he is a literally perfect match. I think all of you and me can agree on this.

Just because I can.

Gold. :thumbsu: . Say hi to your uncle for me :p

I believe "thankyou" is a noun.
Did you mean "thank you"?

You cunning devil, you’re attempting to recruit me as a pedant.

Thanks is my forum preference. However, my trusted MacQuarie Concise Dictionary defines thankyou as “the act of expressing thanks”. So, either is fine with me. I dare say common usage is relevant here.

Carry on!:)

There are 5 words starting with S that all have 5 letters and all mean the same thing.

The best way to introduce these words in footballing terms relating to the GFC...ummm, its in our DNA :oops:

You are right (or should that be correct?) in what you are saying though. I did say most people, just admit you're being just a little bit pedantic, eh! :p
Happy to admit that. These sorts of threads are a minefield though - tried a ninja edit on my last post because of a spelling mistake - and bf wouldn't let me, so I have to look like a douche and have my edit reason displayed for all to see.

Happy to admit that. These sorts of threads are a minefield though - tried a ninja edit on my last post because of a spelling mistake - and bf wouldn't let me, so I have to look like a douche and have my edit reason displayed for all to see.
We've all been there. Pass it off as a joke.

You should try marketing it to the other club mods.
Or, at least, offering it to them as a shining example of what this forum could become.

Lmfao! It'd fall on deaf ears on the Collingwood board.

They probably wouldn't even be able to spell grammar let alone know what it means.

"Grammar? Yeah I know her, she's married to Grammpa...."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back