Opinion Dees V Dogs - Sunday MCG 1.00 PM

Remove this Banner Ad

Team list out tomorrow?
It will be a squad of 26 I believe.

There seems a strong possibility that all of Macrae, Dale & JOD won't be selected based on Bevo's new 'fitness' mantra which might be a big blow to our side. That being said, Macrae & JOD have actual match fitness under their belts so despite missing some time, it's not like they are being rushed straight back into the side.

I suppose. Id rather a higher impact sub like Scott has been in the past.
Scott is a good option as he's played forward, wing and defence.
JJ may get the sub vest every few weeks as well. It might be a load management/ rotation type deal

There seems a strong possibility that all of Macrae, Dale & JOD won't be selected based on Bevo's new 'fitness' mantra which might be a big blow to our side. That being said, Macrae & JOD have actual match fitness under their belts so despite missing some time, it's not like they are being rushed straight back into the side.
Bevo said Macrae hasn’t had enough match practice, virtually ruled him out in yesterday’s presser.

Bevo said Macrae hasn’t had enough match practice, virtually ruled him out in yesterday’s presser.
He was very strong in his words but I do find it a little strange.

I understand he wants a fully fit side but Macrae should have been able to keep his running loads up with the hamstring issue. For example, say he missed a month of footy during the season with an injury, players will then come straight back into the side with no 'match practice'. Macrae has an actual game under his belt so unless he only played severely limited game time then I feel like Bevo is using it as a possible excuse to leave him out. He clearly wants to change the dynamic of the team.

“Jack Macrae was dropped from the leadership group over summer, and I can tell you tonight, he won’t play on Sunday,” Landsberger told Fox Footy.

“He’s played two full VFL games. My read is he’s ready to go, but he won’t be there.

It might be a blow but I think it's the best thing. I want 23 razor sharp and ready players to run out every week. Even if one or two of them aren't quite best 23 when everyone's available.

It does feel quite remarkable how we somehow manage to have our best players struggle in their primes instead of getting the most out of them. Remember when Hunter was left out round 1 a couple of years ago? We all saw how Bevo reacted to team selections leaking early then and this feels eerily similar.

I'm going to await melting down until about round 6. Macrae might be in the side by then and we could be performing beautifully.

He was very strong in his words but I do find it a little strange.

I understand he wants a fully fit side but Macrae should have been able to keep his running loads up with the hamstring issue. For example, say he missed a month of footy during the season with an injury, players will then come straight back into the side with no 'match practice'. Macrae has an actual game under his belt so unless he only played severely limited game time then I feel like Bevo is using it as a possible excuse to leave him out. He clearly wants to change the dynamic of the team.

“Jack Macrae was dropped from the leadership group over summer, and I can tell you tonight, he won’t play on Sunday,” Landsberger told Fox Footy.

“He’s played two full VFL games. My read is he’s ready to go, but he won’t be there.

I think you're right in him wanting to change the dynamic of the team. (I'm wondering though if this is substantially due to the new voices in the coaching team? We'll probably never know).

Re the foxsports article, I think it's entirely appropriate that the three recruits get a start as long as they have put in a good pre-season (as they have). They were targeted for a reason and that reason is we were lacking in certain areas. We know that because we dissected our losses last year and the same problems kept recurring. As Bevo said or implied in that long and surprisingly relaxed interview, it creates competition for spots and challenges others to lift their game. That's undoubtedly a good thing. It's putting the onus on those who were getting games last year by default to raise their game to a new level.

Article today saying some of the players feel Bevo gives preference to recruits and are disgruntled. Outside looking in appears to be the case

The foxsports suggestion that there are murmurings from players about this is a beat-up in my view. There should be no murmurings - it's a patently obvious fact. And it should be expected. I'll bet the other best 20 players aren't too upset about it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Article today saying some of the players feel Bevo gives preference to recruits and are disgruntled. Outside looking in appears to be the case
So we target mature players to fill a need and then players are disgruntled by those players filling a need?

Let's be honest. If you're the coach, the 23rd player picked will think you're a genius and the 1st player to miss out will think you're an idiot

It does scream of us getting too cute once again, the standard start to a season under Bevo I suppose.

I don’t have a problem with moving past those guys if that’s how it plays out but if we start *in VDM one of the shittest players in the comp, over either of them I’ll be throwing in the towel on selection night round one.

I don’t know why we didn’t aggressively try and trade Macrae last year, could have easily found a team like Sydney etc keen for a first rounder and clearing up cap space. Hopefully it’s just about firing him up and it works - And CD was rated as our 4th best player literally zero games ago, so I’m failing to see how he’s fallen so far behind or has been “found out”. He clearly needs to be in the side

It does scream of us getting too cute once again, the standard start to a season under Bevo I suppose.

I don’t have a problem with moving past those guys if that’s how it plays out but if we start *in VDM one of the shittest players in the comp, over either of them I’ll be throwing in the towel on selection night round one.

I don’t know why we didn’t aggressively try and trade Macrae last year, could have easily found a team like Sydney etc keen for a first rounder and clearing up cap space. And CD was rated as our 4th best player literally zero games ago, so I’m failing to see how he’s fallen so far behind or has been “found out”. He clearly needs to be in the side
What's CDs best position? He is way to small to be a defender/midfielder and hasn't got the speed to be a small pressure forward

I don’t know why we didn’t aggressively try and trade Macrae last year, could have easily found a team like Sydney etc keen for a first rounder and clearing up cap space. Hopefully it’s just about firing him up and it works - And CD was rated as our 4th best player literally zero games ago, so I’m failing to see how he’s fallen so far behind or has been “found out”. He clearly needs to be in the side
Loving the practice melt dftw. Can't wait for Thursday night!

What's CDs best position? He is way to small to be a defender/midfielder and hasn't got the speed to be a small pressure forward
He’s an AA defender and finished 4th in our BnF as a midfielder last year. He’s obviously got limitations but I don’t think blanket statements like he’s too small to play x position are fair when he’s literally played those positions successfully.

He’s a utility, id start him mainly high half forward but he can play anywhere and clearly needs to be in the side & id think will be. If Dale misses CD is my go to down back, Bramble isn’t a replacement for Dale he should be a replacement for JJ/Red or in addition to those guys.

Just looked at the credit card statement and it looks like Mrs Shacf501 has just updated the lingerie for the 2024 season! Sounds good, even exciting, though after a big preseason by her indulging in cakes and wine down the peninsula cafes I'm not so sure what to expect. :rolleyes:

On a more serious note, lets put J Harmes straight to Petracca and harass the b-jesus out of him to curb his influence.

Go dogs!

Last edited:
Is Macrae a huge loss at this point in time?

If the recruits aren't playing his position they're irrelevant to his selection.
I dont think so, I'm not saying Sanders will get the same amount of ball as Jack but I think his influence on the game might be superior in terms of efficiency

Out of the 3 I would take the risk on dale as a sub.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back