Opinion Dees V Dogs - Sunday MCG 1.00 PM

Remove this Banner Ad

He’s an AA defender and finished 4th in our BnF as a midfielder last year. He’s obviously got limitations but I don’t think blanket statements like he’s too small to play x position are fair when he’s literally played those positions successfully.
He’s a utility, id start him mainly high half forward but he can play anywhere and clearly needs to be in the side & id think will be. If Dale misses CD is my go to down back, Bramble isn’t a replacement for Dale he should be a replacement for JJ/Red or in addition to those guys.
His days of AA defender are long gone, the coaches are too smart for that these days. He cant start centre bounce his clearance numbers are abysmal. Once the ball is turned over he is out of the contest in about a step or two (same as Macrae). In this flood back, goals from turnovers game at the moment, you can't carry them.

The coaches these days have every stat in the book. If they are not getting games there are reasons for it. I think he will keep CD yet do believe the game has changed so much that its hard to find a spot for either of them.

A shakeup was needed and if that means a few regulars with limitations are left out so be it. Fight your way back in.

He’s an AA defender and finished 4th in our BnF as a midfielder last year. He’s obviously got limitations but I don’t think blanket statements like he’s too small to play x position are fair when he’s literally played those positions successfully.

He’s a utility, id start him mainly high half forward but he can play anywhere and clearly needs to be in the side & id think will be. If Dale misses CD is my go to down back, Bramble isn’t a replacement for Dale he should be a replacement for JJ/Red or in addition to those guys.
Darcy Byrne-Jones is also an AA defender he got worked out and is now a defensive forward,

He was a liability in defence and I can remember countless posts of yours complaining about him getting outmarked,

Our BnF results last year were laughable at best with him over AA English and Liam Jones and again i'd also like to point out how many times you posted last year about how easy the ball came out of the midfield there was a reason for it when he was in there,

How is he a replacement for Dale he's slow and can't kick over 40m?

I find the focus on Macrae's and Daniel's weaknesses completely mind-boggling. We aren't comparing them to Bont here - if we are disputing whether they deserve a game or not, we are comparing them to the last few players in the team. To suggest that they have more weaknesses and/or less strengths than Bramble, Baker, Vandermeer, Gallagher, Duryea, Khamis or Scott is utter nonsense.

I got absolutely ripped a couple months on here for floating the possibility that Macrae wasn't in our best 22 if all were fit, looks like its a huge chance of transpiring.
I hope he can find his form again but his lack of pace and an inabillity to create a defensive presence in the guts really exposes a huge weakness of ours.
CD would be a huge omission.

Our midfield were way too slow last year - McCrae and Daniel were a big reason for it.

Give credit to Bevo for recognising this, but not surevHarmes and Bramble, who have been fringe players are the answer.
Bramble is backline depth,

Harmes is a defensive minded midfielder who can play forward and hit the scoreboard which is what we desperately needed

hmmm. It does seem that recruits are given games in the seniors to prove they cant play rather than having to smash it in the VFL first.

If Caleb is 'the bar' that you need to exceed to get a senior gig, its a pretty high bar.

OTOH it may be that Macrae and Caleb dont fit out new game plan as well as they did our old one. If we were ruthless with list management, 'selling now while they are still worth something' would free up salary. Are we that ruthless?

I find the focus on Macrae's and Daniel's weaknesses completely mind-boggling. We aren't comparing them to Bont here - if we are disputing whether they deserve a game or not, we are comparing them to the last few players in the team. To suggest that they have more weaknesses and/or less strengths than Bramble, Baker, Vandermeer, Gallagher, Duryea, Khamis or Scott is utter nonsense.
Because you need role players in your side to win that can actually play the role required not try to fit "good" players into roles they're not suited too just because they're "good"

hmmm. It does seem that recruits are given games in the seniors to prove they cant play rather than having to smash it in the VFL first.

If Caleb is 'the bar' that you need to exceed to get a senior gig, its a pretty high bar.

OTOH it may be that Macrae and Caleb dont fit out new game plan as well as they did our old one. If we were ruthless with list management, 'selling now while they are still worth something' would free up salary

Worked for Collingwood.

Gave away Treloar for nothing and Adams for not much.

Helped them bring Daicos and McCreery into the midfield.

Not sure trading Grundy was a great move though. Be interesting to see what he does against Cameron and Cox this week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Worked for Collingwood.

Gave away Treloar for nothing and Adams for not much.

Helped them bring Daicos and McCreery into the midfield.

Not sure trading Grundy was a great move though. Be interesting to see what he does against Cameron and Cox this week.
Grundy was 100% the right move given the dumb contract they gave him,

But your point is spot on they won a flag with 6-7 genuine role players targeted from other clubs or as DFAs

Which of those play their position though? Certainly not Bramble, Baker, Gallagher, Duryea, Khamis.

Also most of those won't be picked either which makes comparison more irrelevant.

Because you need role players in your side to win that can actually play the role required not try to fit "good" players into roles they're not suited too just because they're "good"
... And Daniel finished 4th and Macrae 14th in our best and fairest. Seems that they were playing their roles better than a huge amount of players.

Which of those play their position though? Certainly not Bramble, Baker, Gallagher, Duryea, Khamis.

Also most of those won't be picked either which makes comparison more irrelevant.
Daniel is plug and play anywhere on the ground, and could certainly replace any of Bramble (half back), Baker (HF/wing), Gallagher (HF/wing because he won't be playing inside at AFL level), Duryea (back). Khamis is a fair point. Macrae has hardly been tried anywhere other than inside or half forward, and deserves more of an opportunity to show what he can do in other parts of the ground before throwing him on the scrap heap.

For the second line, they almost certainly will I think if we're not playing any of Dale/Daniel/Macrae/JOD/Gardner. I think you'll struggle to pick a full team that doesn't have at least three of those in, most likely at least four.

And we came 9th did you miss that part?
Why are you so hostile whenever somebody disagrees with you? Genuinely, it's a consistent pattern and drags threads down. Don't need the patronising tone.

No, I didn't miss that. But I don't understand how taking out top 14 players is supposed to help us rise up the ladder. I understand your point about attributes and have made the same point many times, but here it does not make sense. The B&F tells us they were playing their roles, especially Daniel. Now we need role players to replace them? It doesn't wash.

If Daniel and Macrae are left out, I suspect there are other reasons. I'm not worried yet. But it does ring some early alarm bells about Bev continuing to try to fit a square peg into a round hole. We are a long way from his catch cry when he first joined: that he would tailor a game plan/system to our players' strengths.

Lets be honest, a few of our blokes struggled last year. I would take Daniel anytime over a baker or vandermeer regardless of what position he plays.

Prior to last year daniel has been solid, yes his tiny but his footy knowledge is exceptional and his skills albeit last year are sublime. I think if we start winning games again he would be the icing on the cake with his skills. Always easier to play better with better players around you

If I'm a forward, i would prefer him kicking to me than 90% of our side. I think we need to use his strengths which is his kicking and want him to get easier ball to be more damaging

Daniel is plug and play anywhere on the ground, and could certainly replace any of Bramble (half back), Baker (HF/wing), Gallagher (HF/wing because he won't be playing inside at AFL level), Duryea (back). Khamis is a fair point. Macrae has hardly been tried anywhere other than inside or half forward, and deserves more of an opportunity to show what he can do in other parts of the ground before throwing him on the scrap heap.

For the second line, they almost certainly will I think if we're not playing any of Dale/Daniel/Macrae/JOD/Gardner. I think you'll struggle to pick a full team that doesn't have at least three of those in, most likely at least four.

They've shown no proclivity to play Daniel back anymore unfortunately as it's his best position IMO.

Neither Daniel or Macrae are suited to wing.

I take your point on selection of those guys. I wouldn't want most of them playing but I haven't been keeping on top of the happening too much so you may be right.

The 3 new boys playing (Bramble/Harmes/Coffield) isn't Bevo gifting them a free pass like he may have in the past (Baker, McComb etc...) they are clearly filling a need and have displayed solid enough form to warrant so. They aren't getting a game at Macrae's expense despite what the media wants you to believe.

I think Harmes will have a blinder on Sunday, at his best he was always able to curtail the influence of a Libba but more importantly hit the scoreboard too.

Macrae should have been moved into a defensive (3rd tall) position.

Unfortunately it’s the lack of penetration (both kicking and speed) that’s a major problem for both Daniel and Macrae.

Macrae does have the height and overhead skills to find another role. I have concerns about Daniel though. A pretty simple gameplay can shut Daniel out and expose his weaknesses.

Gallagher's name has been floated in the best 23. If any of Gallagher, VDM or Scott play ahead of Macrae or Daniel then it's absolutely criminal.

The team has yet to be named so we need to wait but it's certainly trending in that direction.

The 3 new boys playing (Bramble/Harmes/Coffield) isn't Bevo gifting them a free pass like he may have in the past (Baker, McComb etc...) they are clearly filling a need and have displayed solid enough form to warrant so. They aren't getting a game at Macrae's expense despite what the media wants you to believe.

I think Harmes will have a blinder on Sunday, at his best he was always able to curtail the influence of a Libba but more importantly hit the scoreboard too.
Bramble is likely only getting a game due to Dale missing.
Harmes whilst not being as good of a player In the grand scheme of things as macrea fits the half forward role alot that macrea was forced to play alot more naturally.
Coffield fills the third tall role we have been missing greatly and I'm hopeful he can also expand on his game with a consistent run at it with out injuries to include doing important lock down rols on small forwards that have been terrorising us in the recent past.

Darcy Byrne-Jones is also an AA defender he got worked out and is now a defensive forward,

He was a liability in defence and I can remember countless posts of yours complaining about him getting outmarked,

Our BnF results last year were laughable at best with him over AA English and Liam Jones and again i'd also like to point out how many times you posted last year about how easy the ball came out of the midfield there was a reason for it when he was in there,

How is he a replacement for Dale he's slow and can't kick over 40m?
as I’ve always said I would never have him full time defence (anymore) or midfielder, I have no issue with him rotating through those positions as needed though. Hes the perfect utility to play off the bench and we should be absolutely laughing to have him in our bottom handful.

He’s a replacement for Dale because they play The exact same role in the backhalf, ie our main distributor by foot. Personally I wouldn’t feel comfortable with two butcherers in JJ & Bramble, and Ed who will likely have to play on Pickett as our main drive from defence if Dale were to miss.

Again I don’t have a problem with these guys being pushed out of the side on merit, we’ll be a bloody good side if that were to happen. It just hasn’t happened yet, especially to CD who was one of our better, most consistent players all of zero real afl games ago.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back