Opinion Dees V Dogs - Sunday MCG 1.00 PM

Remove this Banner Ad

The 3 new boys playing (Bramble/Harmes/Coffield) isn't Bevo gifting them a free pass like he may have in the past (Baker, McComb etc...) they are clearly filling a need and have displayed solid enough form to warrant so. They aren't getting a game at Macrae's expense despite what the media wants you to believe.

I think Harmes will have a blinder on Sunday, at his best he was always able to curtail the influence of a Libba but more importantly hit the scoreboard too.
I'm sure melbourne supporters will boo Harmes in between cutting cheese on their cheese boards

hmmm. It does seem that recruits are given games in the seniors to prove they cant play rather than having to smash it in the VFL first.

If Caleb is 'the bar' that you need to exceed to get a senior gig, its a pretty high bar.

OTOH it may be that Macrae and Caleb dont fit out new game plan as well as they did our old one. If we were ruthless with list management, 'selling now while they are still worth something' would free up salary. Are we that ruthless?
Thats my main issue with it, we saw this coming last year we should have been proactive In aggressively trying to move Macrae whilst he still had value

Pre selection melts, must be a good sign.

The three players from other clubs are brought in for specific roles for which they were recruited for and performed well during the practice matches.

There is Zero correlation between them playing and Macrae who has had a significantly injury interrupted pre season after a drop off of form last season therefore may have to get his workload and form up to scratch, and Daniel whop does not play the roles the three recruits were recruited for, not playing round 1.

The melts are nothing short of hilarious, taking the piss by making the smart decision to play players in the right positions, are in form and at full fitness Round 1 of a 23 round season, seriously!!!!

Macrae needs to be allowed to get back to full fitness and plenty of touch to provide him the best opportunity to succeed. It is a long season, if he is good enough he will get there.

Daniel is in trouble. Would like to see him make the high half forward role his own, but there were a few in the practice matches really putting their hands up for that smaller forward role. As with Macrae, Daniel will have plenty of time to prove himself with a new look team, structure and style of play

There's a reason that all three of the new recruits are being favoured over a handful of club stalwarts. And it's not because of the old trope of Beveridge showing favouritism or some other confected horseshit. It's because their pre-season form has been better and that they address issues that have been at the centre of our decline in recent seasons. Namely our lack of hardened defensive mids/halfbacks (Im not sure where Bramble will line up) with genuine speed and a lockdown medium sized defender. We cannot have another season where our one paced midfield is unable to stop teams getting game killing run-ons. Although Macrae and Daniel were obviously not solely responsible for this, the flaws in the games were significant contributing factors in us being powerless to stop it at times.

If the likes of Macrae, Daniel Gardner or Keath have to make way for the mc to see if Bramble, Harmes and Coffield make us a better side then so be it.

Ive said it before, but the end can sneak up on careers very quickly. Macrae is such a one dimensional player that barring injuries to teammates he might find it increasingly difficult to find a place in the side. I have no doubt that if Smith hadn't done his ACL that he would've been even further down the pecking order for the only role that he can feasibly play in the side as an inside mid.

Last edited:
Someone quote a melt? There hasn’t been a single one in this thread - believe it or not people discussing why they think something is the wrong decision does not constitute a melt ffs

Someone quote a melt? There hasn’t been a single one in this thread - believe it or not people discussing why they think something is the wrong decision does not constitute a melt ffs
I'm preparing my draft melt just in case VDM is selected but won't be going early with it

Taking the piss again if Macrae and CD don't get picked.

I think for overall team balance, it's not the end of the world if only one is selected in that half forward role that pushes up as an extra around the stoppage. To not select both, then yes that would be taking the piss.
Not sure how you would not say that the coach is taking the piss by not picking them isn't a melt, which is fine each to their own, but ok

Not sure how you would not say that the coach is taking the piss by not picking them isn't a melt, which is fine each to their own, but ok
Yeah I think you have NFI what a melt is if you’re calling that Golden post a melt… wouldn’t be much left on here if that was a melt 😂

My prediction for best 23:

Dale O'Donnell Coffield
Richards Jones JJ
Harmes Bont Williams
West Ugle-Hagan Sanders
Weightman Naughton Lobb

English Libba Treloar
Khamis McNeil Bramble Gallagher

Sub: Daniel

Seems as though Daniel and Macrae are on the outer. Will back Dale and O'Donnell to prove their fitness and make the team.

Gallagher's name has been floated in the best 23. If any of Gallagher, VDM or Scott play ahead of Macrae or Daniel then it's absolutely criminal.

The team has yet to be named so we need to wait but it's certainly trending in that direction.
Yes I think gallagher has upside and will get some games this year if his VFL form warrants it, however I agree that he is not ahead of Daniel.

I'm sure melbourne supporters will boo Harmes in between cutting cheese on their cheese boards

Hope I’m not sitting next to them 😱

My prediction for best 23:

Dale O'Donnell Coffield
Richards Jones JJ
Harmes Bont Williams
West Ugle-Hagan Sanders
Weightman Naughton Lobb

English Libba Treloar
Khamis McNeil Bramble Gallagher

Sub: Daniel

Seems as though Daniel and Macrae are on the outer. Will back Dale and O'Donnell to prove their fitness and make the team.
Id have daniel in for gallagher and Darcy as the sub, filling CHB or taking Rory out if his form isnt up to scratch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gallagher's name has been floated in the best 23. If any of Gallagher, VDM or Scott play ahead of Macrae or Daniel then it's absolutely criminal.

The team has yet to be named so we need to wait but it's certainly trending in that direction.
Given that they play different roles, I would not say that it is criminal at all.

However, I agree that Gallagher is not yet ready and needs some consistent form in the VFL, and I am not sure what role VDM is good for, but Scott has consistently filed holes well in a variety of positions.

Daniel in particular should be in before all 3 in my opinion, but there is an argument for Gallagher or Scott

I think if you pick best 22 Macrae and Daniel are easily in. It is only when you are looking at team balance and overall team leg speed their position looks in jeopardy. Looking at Round zero to succeed you need to move the ball at speed. Slow ball movement and it becomes too easy to defend. To maximise this facet of the game you need quick decision making, leg speed, good disposal and the ability to put pressure on the opposition to create turnovers.

It ensures we do not play, Astro, JUH, Tim, Lobb and Sam in the same team. Plus, unfortunately it raises the question can we play Astro, JUH, Tim and one of Lobb or Sam in the same team. Does the aerial and ruck advantage gained by having one of Lobb or Sam outweigh the advantage of another small. Most teams in round zero went with a 2 man tall forward setup and one ruckman, The swans went with 3 tall forwards and subbed Amarty of at half time. Maybe the slippery humid conditions contributed to this decision.

Hopefully we can buck the trend because of the quality we can have in the 3 tall setup. We have invested heavily in this area (JUH pick 1, Sam pick 2 and Astro pick 9).

Last edited:

Sounds like you'll complain no matter who is picked to be honest.

Macrae and Daniel are injured/out of form respectively but best 22 when on their game.
I'm backing Gallagher to come in and perform on the wing or as sub and give us some pace which Jack and Caleb can't offer.

On SM-A505YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

Pre selection melts, must be a good sign.

The three players from other clubs are brought in for specific roles for which they were recruited for and performed well during the practice matches.

There is Zero correlation between them playing and Macrae who has had a significantly injury interrupted pre season after a drop off of form last season therefore may have to get his workload and form up to scratch, and Daniel whop does not play the roles the three recruits were recruited for, not playing round 1.

The melts are nothing short of hilarious, taking the piss by making the smart decision to play players in the right positions, are in form and at full fitness Round 1 of a 23 round season, seriously!!!!

Macrae needs to be allowed to get back to full fitness and plenty of touch to provide him the best opportunity to succeed. It is a long season, if he is good enough he will get there.

Daniel is in trouble. Would like to see him make the high half forward role his own, but there were a few in the practice matches really putting their hands up for that smaller forward role. As with Macrae, Daniel will have plenty of time to prove himself with a new look team, structure and style of play
Lachy, I don't actually think there is much disagreement here about the three players brought in from other clubs - other than possibly Bramble, they are clearly in the best side. I also don't think many disagree with the sentiment that we should be playing players in their correct positions. There is also no disagreement from me about Macrae needing to be at full fitness. The question being posed is whether that is actually the reason. I suspect it is about match fitness, but I'm playing devil's advocate because I do think the alternative suggestion (that he has been dropped) has reasonable evidence for it.

The concern for me is more around what our best side is, and whether we're throwing the baby out with the bath water here. Our depth is improved, yes, but I still don't think it's a strength - especially with Dale, VDM, JOD, Keath, and Gardner likely unavailable. Take these two sides:
FB: Coffield - Jones - Richards
HB: Johannisen - Khamis - Bramble

C: Williams - Bontempelli - Harmes

HF: Daniel - Naughton - West
FF: Lobb - JUH - Weightman

R: English - Liberatore - Treloar

I: Macrae - Sanders - McNeil - Duryea
S: Baker
FB: Coffield - Jones - Richards
HB: Johannisen - Khamis - Bramble

C: Williams - Bontempelli - Harmes

HF: McNeil - Naughton - West
FF: Lobb - JUH - Weightman

R: English - Liberatore - Treloar

I: Gallagher - Sanders - Duryea - Baker
S: Scott

For me - yes, I acknowledge the first side lacks some pace. But my concern with the second side is that the replacements that have leg speed are actually, to be honest, not that good. They don't impact enough for their attributes to actually help us.

Essentially, I don't mind if we want to move Macrae and Daniel out for players with assets that better complement our team, but I have concerns that the next-in-line players (judging by the pre-season game selection) are actually considerable downgrades on a net level.

It will be a squad of 26 I believe.

There seems a strong possibility that all of Macrae, Dale & JOD won't be selected based on Bevo's new 'fitness' mantra which might be a big blow to our side. That being said, Macrae & JOD have actual match fitness under their belts so despite missing some time, it's not like they are being rushed straight back into the side.
JOD missed like one week with an ankle but has otherwise had a full pre-season. You can't seriously throw him in the same bucket with Macrae and Dale.

Sounds like you'll complain no matter who is picked to be honest.

Macrae and Daniel are injured/out of form respectively but best 22 when on their game.
I'm backing Gallagher to come in and perform on the wing or as sub and give us some pace which Jack and Caleb can't offer.

Macrae has two VFL practice games under his belt now. He's been in full training for over a couple of weeks. Daniel is fully fit. This is Bevo choosing intentionally choosing to go in a different direction.

Look it's round 1 and we haven't even seen the teams so I've said before that I'll give it a few weeks before casting judgement but to leave multiple AA players out of the side for round 1 is certainly interesting to say the least.

I think if you pick best 22 Macrae and Daniel are easily in. It is only when you are looking at team balance and overall team leg speed their position looks in jeopardy. Looking at Round zero to succeed you need to move the ball at speed. Slow ball movement and it becomes too easy to defend. To maximise this facet of the game you need quick decision making, leg speed, good disposal and the ability to put pressure on the opposition to create turnovers.

It ensures we do not play, Astro, JUH, Tim, Lobb and Sam in the same team. Plus, unfortunately it raises the question can we play Astro, JUH, Tim and one of Lobb or Sam in the same team. Does the aerial and ruck advantage gained by having one of Lobb or Sam outweigh the advantage of another small. Most teams in round zero went with a 2 man tall forward setup and one ruckman, The swans went with 3 tall forwards and subbed Amarty of at half time. Maybe the slippery humid conditions contributed this decision.

Hopefully we can buck the trend because of the quality we can have in the 3 tall setup. We have invested heavily in this area (JUH pick 1, Sam pick 2 and Astro pick 9).
Great point Optimistic Dog. The Collingwood Premiership side says they don't even have to be star forwards, just a couple of workhorses.
I actually think you only need two forwards, yet considering our depth in this area, I understand why they are going with 3. As long as we don't full into the trap of jump bombing the ball long with no system. Hit the short pass on the lead.

i hope i am proved wrong but i am amazed that Bramble is getting a game. CD can play high half forward. he needs 15 touches game to have a big influence. His 2nd half against hawks was quite good.
Play Macrae in his best position. Look at Matt Crouch. I think Macrae is a better player than him. He is a mid play him as a mid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back