Dennis Cometti to retire -- end 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

I take this to mean that 7 may not bid for the next TV deal or at least its looking like the landscape will change so much.

Friday Night footy will put hamish in with bruce, leaving everyone else. Although in 2 years time Leigh M may retire too.

BT will not go to friday nights. (Darce will be no chance to pip out Harley, Carey, Richo) He has radio FN and saturday night billing on 7!

It's no coincidence that both sports are struggling to find decent commentators to take over from the old hands like Richie and Dennis. The obsession with celebrity heads (read: high-profile ex-players barely retired five minutes) in the commentary box is knackering the opportunities for those journos and ex-players with actual presentation skills.

I hope he has a Pharaoh-like retirement where he is put into a Pyramid and chuck in the rest of the C7 broadcast team to die along with him. :p

C7 commentary team is bloody horrible.

This isn't a problem, ch7 has known this will happen that is why they got such great up & coming talent in Bazil & Hamish. Now they can ruin my Friday night & Sunday viewing as well as Saturday!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love the bit about Dennis not listening to other commentators when watching the footy so he doesn't pick up on their catch phrases

Hearing all the Fox crew talk about 'stand start', 'shorts it' and 'chaos ball' is just ridiculous.

Anyway modern footy is getting harder to call I think. The aerial ping pong nature of the game and one on one contests were probably better to call. Now so much is in close and controlled it's less is more.

Dennis' best calling was on an old version of AFL live I had. Uncorks the genie!!

Hope 9 get the rights would rather listen to jb and gaz. Even bt wasn't bad on triple m and that's saying something. But having to listen to basil or hame in more then one game a week is cruel and unusual punishment wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy

Oh God, if this means Hame, Basil, Darc and BT are going to be the new face of channel 7 commentary... I just pray channel 9 get the rights back.

When he was at 9 after 7 lost the rights, he started to slowly go downhill and try to do the "entertainer" angle ala BT. In the 90's and 2000-2001 he was arguably the best caller on TV.

Wouldn't mind seeing Drew Morphett making a reappearance.

2110059-not_sure_if_serious.jpg

I hope not. He's bad enough to listen to on the ABC.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back