Dennis Lillee - Justified, or up himself?

Remove this Banner Ad

So as I'm sure we all know by now, DK has left CA due to a(nother) contract dispute. You could say he put on his blue steel boots and took off. CA issued a statement saying he was only contracted for about 11 hours work last year so the pay rise he was asking for was unreasonable. Lillee's shot back pretty much singlehandedly taking credit for Mitchell Johnson and us winning the Ashes.

As much as I like DK's work and how much the players seem to appreciate it, his history of these sorts of things seem to suggest he's a big fan of his own work and may perhaps be making unrealistic demands. Thoughts?

This is going to sound like weasel words but probably both.

It's worth giving him more hours and more money to work with players like Cummins but maybe not what he wanted. And he quite clearly worked more than 11 hours with Johnson.

This.

He clearly likes his money, maybe too much, but it's clear he's been getting some brilliant results. Hopefully his expertise won't be lost even if it means Johnson forking out some of his own cash, that said Watson tried doing the same with having a personal physio on tour and met some resistance IIRC.

If anyone's has the right to take at least some credit for Johnson, it's DK. He's one of Mitch's support network and probably always has been since he was 17.

CA must be hoping that players he has a good relationship with, will want to work with him privately.

I sort of get it, they employ a bowling coach already, but I just can't imagine the amount of money that some of the suits at CA are getting to brand/market and generally do the management stuff.

Ffs CA, just pay him to work with Johnson, and esp with Cummins, Pattinson, Starc, Bird etc. Knows more about fast bowling and injury recovery than anyone.

Not a great record from his years of coaching in India. He picked Johnson as a 'once-in-a-generation' bowler 12+ years ago (so did a few others, but Lillee got the headlines). Early on he was pretty rubbish. It took him 6 years to get to No 1 - then he went completely off the rails - then he came back. His action has been all over the place in that time. Unless there is clear correlation between 'Lillee/Johnson interaction' and 'Johnson bowling well' - I think Mitch is just a bit of a lottery as to which one turns up.

So as I'm sure we all know by now, DK has left CA due to a(nother) contract dispute. You could say he put on his blue steel boots and took off. CA issued a statement saying he was only contracted for about 11 hours work last year so the pay rise he was asking for was unreasonable. Lillee's shot back pretty much singlehandedly taking credit for Mitchell Johnson and us winning the Ashes.

As much as I like DK's work and how much the players seem to appreciate it, his history of these sorts of things seem to suggest he's a big fan of his own work and may perhaps be making unrealistic demands. Thoughts?

iirc DK lillee isn't exactly rolling in dough. In fact i'm pretty sure he is broke.

I'd like to know how much he is getting paid before we can assess how much he is providing. Without knowing the details, but if he was getting paid say, 100k for doing a couple of days work a week then he is being a whinger, but if it was a tiny amount then i can see his point.

The fact he hasn't broadcast what he is getting paid tells me his original deal was pretty good and he is just doing the standard DK trick where he takes credit for everything and whinges about CA when something goes wrong.

lillee has all over Johnson for years. I don't think Lillee should be taking so much credit when really it has been Johnson's attitude improvement and pup's use of him that has been the turning point.
Isn't it generally accepted that his action is a lot better now? Lillee has played a massive role in his resurgence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

may be CA should ask johnson re lillee's worth
johnson is a worth a lot himself maybe he can contract DKL if need be

lillee doesn't travel with the squad, i dont even think he travels to the academy in the off-season. every now and then we send one or two guys on a plane to his home town. i dont really see why it needs a big contract. and certainly CA dont need to pay him everything he wants because of his and MJ's relationship.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back