Coach Did Damien Hardwick fake exhaustion to graciously exit a declining Richmond?

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes he left them for Gold Coast, but he brought them 3 flags so he owed them nothing.

Really good coach, rebuilt the team when he arrived and there was some pain along the way but no doubt he rebuilt the list. Then the success came = 3 Peemierships.

But his exit from the club, he left it in a mess, which was disappointing for them. So yeah good coach but could of done things better in the end.

Ironic as Damien Hardwick was nearly sack in the end of 2016. Richmond wins 3 flags in the next 4 years in 2017 , 2019 and 2020. I think by 2021, Hardwick knew Richmond were past their peak. Hardwick doesnt owe richmond anything, he got 3 flags.

Saying that, Wasnt Mark "Bomber" Thompson in a similiar situation at the end of 2010? He got Geelong flags in 2007 and 2009. Bomber didnt owe the cats anything once he was "Burnt out" by the end of 2010.

Yes Chris Scott got the cats to a Flag in 2011. Cats stayed as competitors for the flag after the 2010 departure after Mark Thompson left.

If Chris Scott decided to leave the cats at the end of this season or next season, I dont think many cats fans will complain after getting the 2011 and 2022 flags.

There were a few factors to Thompson's departure.

You've mentioned that Geelong remained competitive, which I expected, though an instant premiership was looking unlikely after the end to 2010. So we looked to be on the slide, but not to the extent of being a bottom four side within a year or two, like Richmond did in 2023. Another factor was that Thompson was leaving, but not to be the senior coach at another club. Which is a bit more palatable.

But probably the main thing for me was that Thompson seemed to be taking regular thinly-veiled swipes at Gary Ablett and his status with the Cats beyond 2010 in the media, basically pressuring Ablett to come out and make his intentions clear. The two weren't on speaking terms at times. Then it comes out at the end of the season that for months, Thompson has been setting up an exit to Essendon to work alongside Hird as a mentor. It just looked like an extremely scummy, shamelessly hypocritical way of conducting himself. And it was only because of the fortune of how things panned out: Geelong remained successful and relevant and Essendon had - well the decade from 2011-20 that Essendon had - that we don't really hold it against him.

Last edited:
Really good coach, rebuilt the team when he arrived and there was some pain along the way but no doubt he rebuilt the list. Then the success came = 3 Peemierships.

But his exit from the club, he left it in a mess, which was disappointing for them. So yeah good coach but could of done things better in the end.

On top of that, I'd suggest he made personnel moves over his final 12 months that were clearly an all-in move for a 2023 flag, at the expense of an inevitable hard crash to come in the mid-late 20s.

In other words, he mortgaged the future of the club for a chance to win a fourth premiership for himself (in my opinion). And then he fled as soon as it became certain that Richmond wasn't even a shot at making the top eight in 2023.

On top of that, I'd suggest he made personnel moves over his final 12 months that were clearly an all-in move for a 2023 flag, at the expense of an inevitable hard crash to come in the mid-late 20s.

In other words, he mortgaged the future of the club for a chance to win a fourth premiership for himself (in my opinion). And then he fled as soon as it became certain that Richmond wasn't even a shot at making the top eight in 2023.

Yeah I agree. Again as I said above, good coach = 3 flags is testament to that, not many coaches in modern AFL footy achieve that. But his time towards the end and his exit was just messy.

Are we really surprised? He did the same thing on his marriage too
Hardwick, Dew and Clarkson were/are all very close mates going back to when they were all at Port a couple of decades ago.

Hardwick was more than happy to blatantly knife Dew instead of having integrity.
It was only a year earlier when the AFL wanted Clarkson to coach the Suns, but he turned it down because he didn't want to knife Dew.

Dew is on record saying he hasn't spoken to Hardwick since the latter knifed him for his job.

Hardwick, Dew and Clarkson were/are all very close mates going back to when they were all at Port a couple of decades ago.

Hardwick was more than happy to blatantly knife Dew instead of having integrity.
It was only a year earlier when the AFL wanted Clarkson to coach the Suns, but he turned it down because he didn't want to knife Dew.

Dew is on record saying he hasn't spoken to Hardwick since the latter knifed him for his job.

Good points.

Question is though, would the Gold Coast Suns be 6-4 under Dew this season, as they currently are under Hardwick at the moment?

I heard he was fully abusing the players in 2023 because they kept losing, obviously he had the job lined up and didn’t want his rep to be tarnished.

Usually multiple premiership coaches have an ego problem when they start losing. The success goes to their heads.

I don't know about others, but I'd trade a few years of mess for three flags.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

he was exhausted, and players get homesick.

technically not bullshit, because he was exhausted coaching richmond and at the prospect of continuing his tenure. but white lies do make for a smoother out and in. can't exactly go by the 'no longer align culturally' playbook you would in a regular job interview.

Ah yes another "BigFooty says you're faking" thread. Never misses the mark.

Good points.

Question is though, would the Gold Coast Suns be 6-4 under Dew this season, as they currently are under Hardwick at the moment?
I would say 6 years was enough for Dew to prove himself. He should go probably one year earlier.

Dimma did get a great gift of 4 academy kids who all look like future guns plus Clohesy in rookie draft.

Were your misguided strategies the reason they were going down the gurgler?

Misguided in the sense that he won them 3 flags including one only a year after there was a massive push to have him sacked because he had no clue what he was doing?

Have you seen any legitimate Carlton flags?

Well summed up.

You can fake exhaustion but you can't fake James Harmes

I'd have way more respect for his handling of the situation if he'd said, 'Look, I eked every ounce I could out of this group and we won three flags together. We had a go at keeping things on track, but it's clear now it's gonna be a huge, long-term task to climb that mountain again and I'm not up for it. Best give it to the next bloke.'
That's basically what he did. He used the cooking the sausages analogy, he's tried 1000 different ways and doesn't have anymore for this group. In various semi private public events he's also spoken more about this too, that when he thinks he can't take us any further he would leave.

That day came and that's what he did.

Shows the character of the guy, would've had a lot more respect for him had he the backbone to stick with richmond for another year or 2, get them moving in the right direction, not just dump it on the incoming coach.
Can only imagine his reactions had he fought to try and sort his mess out if the media came after him as they with did Adam Simpson.
Sad Baby GIF

Last edited:
I suspect the AFL themselves were probably into Dimma at some point during the 2022 off-season... forecasting it isn't working with thunder thighs, and that he would be a good fit. When the wheels starting falling off the parachute plan surely became more attractive

It is a good result as Dimma is one of the most decorated & successful characters in the sport & was becoming a bit of a curmudgeon at RFC, fearlessly teeing off at the AFL. Now he is back in the fold of HQ

Remove this Banner Ad

Back