Did you follow your old man?

Do you follow the same team as your old man?

• Yes

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

all immediate family are solid essendon. 95% of extended family i know of are essendon. the only club represented by the other 5% is collingwood.

at 3yo (as an essendon supporter) i begged repeatedly for a jumper, but denied again & again. an uncle (one of the 5%) bought me a collingwood jumper with no. 6 on the back (mckenna) and the rest is history.

til a 20yo i followed them religiously, but the amount of one-eyedness at victoria park drove me away.

from then i simply followed footy. appreciated footy for what it is, rather than simply appreciate one club. i barrack for collingwood but life doesnt revolve around them winning or losing. EXCEPT for when we play carlscum. looking forward to april 8 - raise the flag and stick it right up em.

my father was never that passionate about footy, he claims to follow the saints except some times he says the bulldogs. he has a passing interest at best

my uncle was as one eyed as you can get, he was the one who influenced me the most

My father is a die hard Essendon supporter who hates Collingwood with a passion, however my Grandfather is a die hard Collingwood man and it was him who taught me everything I love about our great game.

My Dad follows Collingwood, I follow Collingwood and my kids follow Collingwood.

On my Dad's side, everyone has followed Collingwood since the early 1900's. Jack Regan is my Dad's great Uncle.

There is more to it than that though, my sister follows Essendon because Dad played for them (Dad still hates them and follows the Pies rapidly) in the 70's and much of my extended family on Mum's side are Essendon supporters because Mum's great grandfather was one of the clubs founders. Strangely though, Mum, one of her brothers and her mother all follow Footscray and there is a smattering of Melbourne supporters as well, due to an Uncle that played for them and most of the family being in 'that demographic'.

My dad is a Saint Kilda supporter, and they are my second team of sorts.

I lived a block away from alberton until i was 9, so that is my reason for supporting Port Adelaide.

No he was/is Collingwood. I went through a few teams between the ages of 3 to 4/5 but happy to have stuck with Carlton.

Mum is also Carlton and sister is Collingwood so some decent rivarly through the ranks...

No. I'm one of the few on this thread whose dad is a passionate supporter of a traditional team (Carlton) and I support a different traditional team. Followed my older brother, no idea why he didn't follow the same team as dad. I went to a lot more Carlton games than Geelong as a kid, never had any pressure to support them though (apart from their success).

Tough call as to whether I will put any excess pressure on my kids to support Geelong down the track, as I respect the fact that dad didn't mind us making our own choices.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep. When he migrated to Oz in the 50s with his parents and siblings they lived in North Melbourne, not far from Arden Street. They've all followed the Roos since. I was born and raised in Essendon, not far from Windy Hill, but grew up hating them as most people in school followed them. So the 80s weren't much fun for me, but the 90s were great!

My dad grew up in Geelong and went for them until he moved to Fitzroy but the most passionate supporter in my family was my Uncle and he took me to games as a kid.

I think I even still have my little long sleeved number 11 jumper somewhere.

Dad is Collingwood. He made sure the whole family were diehard Collingwood supporters.

Spent most weekends of my childhood at Vic Park or wherever else we were playing. Didn't have much of a choice, I was thrown into the Magpie Nest from day 1.

I intend to do that to my kids, should I ever have any.

Yes and No. My dad did go for the eagles - even went to the 94 grand final. Then he jumped ship as he was brought up in freo and has been a dockers member for every pitiful season they have been around for. I never let him hear the end of it. :D

On Dad's side of the family we go back to my great grandfather as Subi supporters, Mums side, we go bak to my grandparents as Subi supporters so there was never any choice. On Saturday's, we'd be sitting on a blanket on the grass next to the old members stand then the following week off to the away game. I grew up in the Freo area so while I will admit to supporting the eagles as the only WA team when they started, as soon as Freo joined the comp, I joined Freo. Best choice I ever made. I can't believe what a'holes Eagles supporters are. Glad I'm not one of them ;) :D

Just another freagle ;) We're only assholes towards your type because your a turncoat.

Back