DIY PS3 repairs

Remove this Banner Ad

Have just munted my HDMI port on my ps3, pins bent and a plastic tab has snapped out.

They really weren't made to be moved around a lot and plugged in by idiot girlfriends were they?

Im having trouble finding info online, other than sending it off to Sony for an expensive $150 fix.

Does anyone know where I can either get a new port, or have it repaired for a reasonable price, in perth's northern suburbs?

Or does anyone know if the composite cables look as good, as an alternative to hdmi?

Im not even sure where they are, Ive only ever used HDMI.

Edit: Just spoke to a mod shop bloke, he reckons I will need an entire new motherboard?

Not sure if serious?

I have component and HDMI, on a large tv you can't tell the difference, but on the small one in my bedroom it's very noticable. Could just be the quality of the tv though

• Banned
fwiw i have a 1080p Bravia, and the graphics are brilliant through the hdmi. I hate playing games on my gf's 720p tv even with the hdmi cable.

Ive found globalconsoles.com.au and they say a motherboard replacement is generally 200, Ive written an email asking for a quote, will have to wait til monday.

• Banned
Yeh looks like I will have to go searching for the component cables.

After doing more research, whats the deal with Sony charging $400 as a flat repair rate for any ps3 problem?

Do they just want to get their grubby hands on my cechc02 model and force me to get a newer inferior model?

After doing more research, whats the deal with Sony charging $400 as a flat repair rate for any ps3 problem?

Do they just want to get their grubby hands on my cechc02 model and force me to get a newer inferior model?

If it's out of warranty go to a normal electronics technician.

• Banned
If it's out of warranty go to a normal electronics technician.

I don't know of any, never had to get any elecs repaired that I couldn't do myself.

Like I said, the first guy I spoke to laughed and said I need a new motherboard.

Which Id say is bullshit, hes probably just not skilled enough to replace and solder a hdmi port.

400?
Methinks not....

I got my CECHC02 (60gb) fixed for 250 about a year ago....
I think the information you read is/was outdated as the price used to be more.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back