Opinion Do the Brisbane Lions really have an MCG hoodoo?

Is Brisbane's MCG hoodoo real?

• Yes

Votes: 15 46.9%
  • No

Votes: 17 53.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

L
The game was a lot different 20 years ago. Brisbane had cap concessions didn’t they to keep their list together? Unfortunately the data of the last 17 years shows 8/10 Victorian teams beating non vic teams on GF day. Were Hawthorn and Richmond that much better?

Interstate sides do have home games, yes, but so do Victorian sides. Heaps. It doesn’t even it out at all. The obviously alternative is to have non Victorian sides request more games at the G, it benefits Victorian sides so you can’t worry about that, or put the GF at a neutral venue and minimise supporter tickets because they want the corporate revenue.

Bar the G, what ground has the biggest capacity?
It’s been an odd decade or so to have 1 team win 3 premierships, let alone 2 teams. Not sure if its an outlier or the start of something more.

I'm fine with that. It's a much better solution than trying to preference schedule interstate teams at the G all season.
We can all move back to our original grounds. Maybe playing our home games at Vic Park was the reason we lost so many Grand Finals?

We can all move back to our original grounds. Maybe playing our home games at Vic Park was the reason we lost so many Grand Finals?
Good theory but we've only won 2/6 since the G was our home ground. All 4 we lost were to non MCG Tennant's too.

It's just us...

not sure why youre going back to 2015 when the brisbane team that exists now can largely trace its existence to the finals breakthrough of 2019 when trading in lyons / neale and since then adding core players like daniher and dunkley

as a supporter i thought we played the mcg quite wel against melbourne and collingwood and the games could have gone either way in 2023. hawks are our bogie team more than anything

its a fixturing joke that the lions have been continually denied more MCG exposure whilst being a dominant team with a substantial victorian fanbase over the last 5 years. COVID aside there really are no excuses as to why the AFL has been so reticent to give the lions more games there.
Collingwood love playing at home, so I'm sure they'd be happy to host the Lions there a few extra times each year. Seems like a win-win, right?

It will depend on how the game unfolds. If we get smashed I think it will tell a lot.
Fair call. Good start so far.

Let's see if they can keep it up for the whole match. A win tonight may very well kill the MCG hoodoo narrative for the Lions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

not sure why youre going back to 2015 when the brisbane team that exists now can largely trace its existence to the finals breakthrough of 2019 when trading in lyons / neale and since then adding core players like daniher and dunkley

as a supporter i thought we played the mcg quite wel against melbourne and collingwood and the games could have gone either way in 2023. hawks are our bogie team more than anything

its a fixturing joke that the lions have been continually denied more MCG exposure whilst being a dominant team with a substantial victorian fanbase over the last 5 years. COVID aside there really are no excuses as to why the AFL has been so reticent to give the lions more games there.

Absolutely, Collingwood requested an extra MCG game for Brisbane last year but the AFL realised that would be bad for Brisbane.

Had they moved that game from Marvel last year then Brisbane never would have made the grand final.

So no surprise the AFL puts Brisbane winning ahead of getting them more exposure at their bogey ground.

Back