Review Dogs 115 def Suns 67

Remove this Banner Ad

I loved the Libba/Rowell duel. It would have been worth the price of admission just to see that.

On SM-A135F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Knocked off work in the city at 5am, followed by a two hour trip home, and a measly 3.5 hour sleep. And then up again, for an hour or so trip to Ballarat. Was hoping that myself and the team wouldn't be flat today.

But what a great day it was.

Firstly, the reactions and over the top melts through out the week. Are normally reserved for if we were 0-5, or 1-4. Not one freaking game in the season. People saying they hope this player gets injured, or that we would lose. That was pathetic. Do better!

Back to the game. First time in Ballarat. Not even sure what is up with some of the criticisms of the venue. Surface was immaculate, views good, could smell the grass, the weather amazing. Had a real suburban footy vibe to it, unlike that soulless venue we call Marvel. Was the best game day vibe I have gotten to experience in years.

That first quarter. Was exactly how I want us to play. Direct and with dare. Ended up being our best opening quarter in awhile. But I was still nervous. Because even last year, we had many good opening quarters, only to let teams back into it in junk time during the second quarter. And then come out flat in the third and be run over for the rest of the game. For a moment it felt like the same script. So I was impressed we were able to put our foot down in the last quarter, whilst kicking into the wind.

All three inclusions played well today. Loved the work of the defence. Thought they played well last week as well, but were left exposed by the rest of the team being poor in the last quarter last week. Richards, Jones and Khamis picked off today.

Saw someone laugh off Darcy, Sanders, Gallagher in the game day thread. Not sure what game you were watching. But they won like two clearances and had an eventual goal. Suns got the run on when the experienced heads returned, and because we made stupid decisions and gave away free kicks every where. Thought it was great that we were able to lead by enough to put some developmental work into them. I don't care if you don't think Gallagher isn't cut out to be an inside player. We all know he is predominantly a outside type. But nothing teaches you to improve your inside game, than actually being thrown in there. Sanders ball use improved this week, aside from one funny out on the full. Darcy picked off some hard park marks, where our other talls struggled at times.

Weightman had an insane opening quarter, and still found ways to keep himself relevant for most of the game. I thought he was going to end up with 10 goals at one point. Some of it was from flying for the ball, but some were from keeping his feet on the ground which was pleasing to see.

Loved Libba getting involved in heaps of scuffles. He probably starts most of them. Then acts innocent as he is being dragged along by his jumper along the ground, looking at the umpire for a free haha. But the best thing was, post game he ran up to his opponent and shook off with him. Libba vs Rowell was fun to watch.

Tackling numbers massively improved this week. As well as ball use. Still reverted to poor decision making, giving the ball off to team mates under pressure etc, in the middle parks of the game. Key will be to find some consistency to do it for four quarters.

Treated myself to a detour and miny hike on the way home, to see a waterfall I have never seen before, that looks nice as in pictures. Only for their to be no water, and no waterfall :( But the walk, the fresh air, the view. All capped off a good day.
Couldn’t make it today, but was missing it. The Ballarat games are my favourites each year. Nearly everyone who goes loves it. It always has a great vibe. Happy you enjoyed it.
It shows to me we are building our stadiums wrong in Australia. Launceston always looks great in the sunshine in winter, and we play in a cold concrete cave under a roof in the middle of sunny winter days. We could halve the cost of our stadiums by leaving off the roof so we can see some trees and the sky. If Ballarat got one 20th the funding Geelong gets, we’ll have a great stadium out there.

I get where you’re coming from as in on paper the traits don’t necessarily gel, but I think that’s a bit of a cop out. Why aren’t they coachable? Like these are all very good footballers, I think saying they’re not able to learn how to play a role is probably an insult on their ability. I really think the coaching is subpar, we’ll never know but * we’ve given the keys to a rolls Royce to Spangher. I’d like to see an experienced, successful forward coach have a crack at these guys because the talent is immense.

We’ve got a 40 goal small forward, a 50 goal CHF, possibly the best contested mark and 2nd ruck in the league and an athletic beast of an all round forward threat in Marra - surely they can work it out?
If it was the first year or so, learning to gel and work together can take a little time. The longer it takes, the more concerning that this group of players, all good individuals, cannot work together.

The mere fact they cannot hit up with multiple and supporting leads, basic forward craft, after this long together is concerning. It may change change or the mix may need to change.

One thing very clear today was Flee is not a small forward. He is a medium and that is what needs to be worked into the mix

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Can Od

Can O’Donnell come in for Coffield, Williams shifts back for Ed, Baker into Williams spot on the wing?
Will depend on how JOD is tracking with his recovery Bulldogs are very conservative with return to play after a concussive episode. Which you would expect these days

Couldn’t make it today, but was missing it. The Ballarat games are my favourites each year. Nearly everyone who goes loves it. It always has a great vibe. Happy you enjoyed it.
It shows to me we are building our stadiums wrong in Australia. Launceston always looks great in the sunshine in winter, and we play in a cold concrete cave under a roof in the middle of sunny winter days. We could halve the cost of our stadiums by leaving off the roof so we can see some trees and the sky. If Ballarat got one 20th the funding Geelong gets, we’ll have a great stadium out there.
Yep I agree. Will definitely be making the trip there again.

I reckon they could probably copy paste the stands to the other half of the field, and it will still be a good venue, but with a slightly higher capacity. But maybe that standing terrace adds to something itself? The games have mostly been sell outs, or close to. Which shows our fans, and the locals are embracing it.

Good move by the AFL to fixture the games early and late in the season, so we can experience great weather. I would love to experience a night or twilight game there on a warm or cool night. They just need to turn that cow paddock/dump yard north of the stadium into proper and accessible parking. I had to park a 10 minute walk away on some random street, due to my unfamiliarity with the venue.

Sadly you're right about modern stadiums. Billion dollar, cold concrete bowls with fancy lights is all they are these days. Can't even get the angle with the sun right, or a nice surface. Both in which Marvel fails at. Still don't get why the AFL won't open the roof for late games, where there is no wind or rain. Would add tons more to the atmosphere, and feel more like a proper outside game. But its "to hard" and "takes to long" apparently.

Which is why I envy Geelong a little. Their fans get treated to a proper game most weeks. Though I still rate Ballarat better, as it is not swallowed in by big stands. Wish we had more games than just two at the G each year as well. But sitting so high up is not the same as sitting up close, as I learned today. Was on the barrier close to where Baker got smashed in the first. Could hear and feel the hit.

Last edited:
How much of the huge turnaround can we blame on the AFL's ridiculous round 0 advantage given to Melbourne?

This was how we expected the side to play when we started the season. Not saying we would have won but we probably would have got a lot closer to Melbourne if we'd both played (or both NOT played) Round 0.

If that was the case, then we need to look at the clubs decision to have a very soft phoney war like stroll into the season by scheduling not one but two 'prcatice' games against a pretty weak Hawthorn side. I think we would've been much better off facing what most would consider a near peer or better side.

I think that we just have to face facts that Melbourne have a psychological grip on our playing groups nut sack and they seem to look forward to twisting it at every opportunity.

The 2021 GF has scarred this group more than we'll ever know and its unfortunate that it continues to threaten to derail our season(s) before it really starts.

Given their physical dominance over us. I'd rather we kick off the season playing anybody else.

As for today. It was nice to see the timidity of last weeks efforts banished to the winds of Ballarat and we saw a team willing to take on both the game and their opponents whenever they got a bit out of line with their physicality. This was particularly evident with how closely Libba wore GC centre square dynamo today. Things that were sadly lacking in last weeks efforts.

Last edited:
Is it just me, or was there no Game Day thread today? Not showing on my screen anywhere I can see.

p.s. Good win Dogs. That's the sort of effort we need to be seeing every single game.

If that was the case, then we need to look at the clubs decision to have a very soft phone war like stroll into the season by scheduling not one but two 'prcatice' games against a pretty weak Hawthorn side. I think we would've been much better off facing what most would consider a near peer or better side.

I think that we just have to face facts that Melbourne have a psychological grip on our playing groups nut sack and they seem to look forward to twisting it at every opportunity.

The 2021 GF has scarred this group more than we'll ever know and its unfortunate that it continues to threaten to derail our season(s) before it really starts.

Given their physical dominance over us. I'd rather we kick off the season playing anybody else.

As for today. It was nice to see the timidity of last weeks efforts banished to the winds of Ballarat and we saw a team willing to take on both the game and their opponents whenever they got a bit out of line with their physicality. This was particularly evident with how closely Libba wore GC centre square dynamo today. Things that were sadly lacking in last weeks efforts.
To be fair, my understanding was there was no one available other than the Hawks thanks to the AFL

I thought he was quite noticeably better this week, after a shocker against Melbourne. Him and Gallagher both seemed much better than the stat sheet suggests
Thought Gallagher showed a bit early today then faded a bit but like the way he goes about it. Shows some dash which can't have too much of that

To be fair, my understanding was there was no one available other than the Hawks thanks to the AFL

I have no idea how these games are scheduled, but playing a likely bottom 4 side twice is not ideal for a finals aspirant.

Especially one that knows its going to play its recent nemesis in the following weeks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just a quick intrusion if I may to say its really good to see Jones still going well, I wonder if he's got a bit more left in him career wise than you'd usually think given he had that bit of a break.
Hopefully he can keep going for another couple of years. Injuries are what could finish him is a good athlete so maybe he can stay sound

Just a quick intrusion if I may to say its really good to see Jones still going well, I wonder if he's got a bit more left in him career wise than you'd usually think given he had that bit of a break.
We are all wishing he was 5 years younger.
Carlton deserve a fair bit of credit, they found his position and persisted with him, turning a talented footballer into a gun.

Right now he is in our top 3 most important players.

Not as strange as going to enjoy a game of footy on a beautiful day and having a sizeable number of Dog fans all arguing about standing and sitting.
We must have been within pissing distance of each other.

There were a few Doggies supporters on the wing carrying on at the start of the game, but it fizzled out within seconds. Everyone out on the wing was fine and seemed to sit/stand as required throughout the game.

Stop trying to make something out of nothing.

Not as strange as going to enjoy a game of footy on a beautiful day and having a sizeable number of Dog fans all arguing about standing and sitting.

Strange that you’d vent your anger on a footy forum where those exact people may or may not even be reading 😂

lol @ making your wife and kids leave the footy at half time because of this. And you’re still being a cuck about it 8 hours later.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back