Dr Who set to return!

Remove this Banner Ad

GoEagles

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 10, 2000
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
This came through a few weeks back but never saw a thread here so I've decided to put one up!

"THE world's most famous time traveller is about to turn 40 and, to celebrate, he has been given another berth on television.

The ABC will return Dr Who to television screens in prime time next month in recognition of the long-running program's 40th anniversary.
Dr Who made its debut in November 1963 and was last on air in Australia on the ABC in March 1994.

From September 15, the ABC will screen the science fiction series from Monday to Thursday at 6pm, starting with episode one, The Unearthly Child, starring William Hartnell as the Gallifreyan Time Lord.

The ABC said it planned to screen all 700 episodes. "

Sauce? Herald Sun

Seek Locate Exterminate! My childhood was watching Tom Barker as Dr Who on the ABC before dinner.

I'd always thought there were a lot of 'lost' episodes? Especially around the Hartnell/Troughton era.

Still, time to stock up on the video tapes I guess (or go the whole hog and buy a DVD with record capability).

Does anyone have/know of anyone that has any of the radio broadcast stuff? I had a link to it awhile back but lost it in a hard-drive clean up.

I tell you what when they show the Jon PErtwee ones check out how much the BBC were scrimping on the effects budget, totally lost it's way in that era he spent all his time running around with the British army fighting massive maggots:confused: thankfully Tom Baker came to the rescue.:D & we had a lot of Davros.

This is tremendous news.

Grendel - have to disagree on the giant maggots. the Green DEath was a great story.

I quite liked the Earth based UNIT stories. But I agree the Baker stuff was top shelf.

Oh noooooooooooooooo! Those bloody maggots gave me nightmares forever. If I see one now I go into a fit, major system breakdown etc. I can still vividly recall the scene when they are in the back of a truck driving through this field filled with massive maggots!

Who else would get the sink unblocker plunger thing and stick it on their head?!! I remember having this massive red "love bite" on my forehead after getting one stuck on for hours!! I am a darlek (sp?), I am a darlek!!!

Originally posted by DIPPER
I tell you what when they show the Jon PErtwee ones check out how much the BBC were scrimping on the effects budget, totally lost it's way in that era he spent all his time running around with the British army fighting massive maggots:confused: thankfully Tom Baker came to the rescue.:D & we had a lot of Davros.

Jon Pertwee ones were good IMO, I don't think the effects improved much with Tom Baker, although some of the plot lines were a bit more interesting.
Talking about crap special effects - What about those Sontaren (sp?) spud heads with their obviously rubber masks, that melted when you hit the hole in the back of their neck :D and those crappy giant spiders on strings. Still can't wait to see it again though. Agree we need more Davros :D

Originally posted by Grendel
Does anyone have/know of anyone that has any of the radio broadcast stuff? I had a link to it awhile back but lost it in a hard-drive clean up.

The BBC Dr Who site has some webcasts and done some other stuff, have a look at http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/doctorwho/index.shtml They have stopped a number of links though due to rights expiring

I read somewhere that they will be making a new Dr. Who series starring Mark Gatiss from "The League of Gentlemen" (the tall one, plays Mickey, Val and Iris amoungest others for fellow fans).

Could be interesting if true.

Yea, have that link (thanks btw though) already Jim. But there was some independant site where they were doing radio-serialized versions or somesuch of new stories with Davison, McGann and I think McCoy all reading 'their' Doctor's in new stories.

Pity IIRC about the asking price (which is why I never got them).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

<I agree, you can never have too much Davros.

Louise Jameson for me. Never forget when she was running away from the giant rat in "The Talons of Weng - Chiang". She fell into the water and came up with headlights on full beam!!!!!:D :D

Originally posted by Mobbenfuhrer
I wanna see that one with the building in the middle of nowhere and the tricky keypad to get in and the special squares on the floor that meant you could only stand on some ... what was that episode again? It had daleks in it.

Probably "Death to the Daleks" with John Pertwee. One of my faves too :)

Could also have been "The Five Doctors", which also had a "building in the middle of nowhere" and "special squares on the floor".

Memories... I can still remember when, as a five year old, I wandered into the lounge and asked the old man what he was watching. It was the first episode of "Planet of the Spiders". Instantly hooked, I watched every episode and every repeat until John-Nathan Turner ruined the show with clowns like Colin Baker (not Tom) and Bonnie Langford...

Now, who's for an entire series repeat of Monkey? :cool:

Or, better still, Blake's 7? :cool: :cool:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back