Dr Who & The Goodies

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by DIPPER
The thing with Blake's 7 is why was it called that, because Blake wasn't in it for half the time.

He left & then for ages they dangled the carrot that he might come back but when he did it was only for the grand finale.

It was a good lesson to me as a 9 year old never to trust anyone & to this day I never have since.

I wonder what they did with Orac.

Classic show - Orac has become a fish tank. Someone lost the remote so they decided to pull the lights out and fill him up with water :D

Originally posted by scmods
There wasn't seven of them very often either.

But if you want to be like that, Dr Who wasn't really a doctor, and the Goodies didn't seem to be very good at most things they tried!

Consider the end of the fourth episode:

BLAKE: Seven of us can run this ship properly.
VILA: Six surely.
BLAKE: You forgot Zen.
AVON You're not counting that machine as a member of the crew.
BLAKE: Oh, what do you say to that Zen?
ZEN: Please state course and speed.
BLAKE: Very diplomatic. Set a course for Centero, speed standard by two.
ZEN: Confirmed

Hence, "Blake's 7".

And I reckon the Doctor once claimed that his doctorate was honorary, but I don't remember which story this was in.

I know, I'm a pedantic tosser badly in need of a life... :D

Originally posted by Uncle Steve
Blake left the series after the 26th episode. Why change the name of the show after it had gone for that long? The character did appear twice after that: for a cameo appearance in the 39th episode, and in the final 52nd episode. As I recall, the actor (Gareth Thomas) was trying to be taken seriously as a Shakespearean actor, and wanted to distance himself from the series. That is why (SPOILER WARNING) at the final shootout on Gauda Prime, the Blake character was shot with bullets: so that there could be no doubt that the character was dead. If the series was revived, it would have been done in the context that Blake was dead.

Someone wrote a novel - "Afterlife" - which picked up the story from where the series left off. Avon had survived the shootout (he never got shot), so had Vila (he was acting to avoid being shot). The two of them retrieved Orac from where it had been stashed and took off with a third person. Later it emerged that Tarrant had survived as well. It wasn't a very good book.

Sorry folks, we now return you to your regularly scheduled Goodies discussion :)

Well I wasn't seriously saying that they should have changed the name of the show it's just that I remember being a naive 8 or 9 year old watching it & was obviously unaware that Blake/Gareth Thomas had buggered off in real life to do a spot of Shapespeare so when they kept mentioning Blake I was convinced that he'd be back in the next week's episode & this continual disappointment that he wasn't has stayed with me for last 20 odd years & has led to me becoming the bitter dysfunctional adult that I am now.

Anyway sod the Goodies I think you mentioned Monkey on another thread now that really is a classic, you never saw Monkey disappearing from his own show for protracted periods did you?;)

In fact the thought has just hit me of how good it would be if Monkey was to somehow merge with Planet of the Apes(another bona fide TV classic):D, you'd have Tripitaka still trying to control him but Dr Zaius & his mob would undoubtably try to harness his immortality & egomania for their own anti-human ends.

The possibilites would be endless & if handled well I think it could overcome the criticisms of believability & sensationalism.:D

Well, thanks for the heads-up Jerome. I got my Goodies DVD today :D

It's a 2-disc set. Watched the second disc first, as I already have 2 of the episodes on the first disc on videotape.

Great to see ecky-thump again. :D Along with the episodes is a short out-takes collection (mildly amusing), some footage from pre-Goodies sketches featuring Tim and Graham, and a commentary track over the second episode (the lighthouse one). The commentary is lame - it takes them a while to start talking, and then they talk about issues totally irrelevant to the episode being played.

Will watch disc one tomorrow... after the SANFL coverage of course ;)

I bought it today also. What was interesting though was the range of prices you could find for it in the one shopping centre.

At Knox, I first went to the ABC shop where it was selling for $55, then I went to Borders where it was selling for $50, then I went to JB Hi-Fi where it was selling for $40. And all these shops were within a few hundred metres of each other!

If you're looking for the Goodies DVD on sale for anything above $40, don't buy it.

As was mentioned by others, a couple of the episodes on this compliation were released onto VHS during the mid-1990s. The reason why 'The Goodies and the Beanstalk' episode is on this DVD again is probably because it wasn't just a typical episode but a special extra-length show (made on film) that was broadcast on Christmas Eve, 1973.

I agree that the Beanstalk episode isn't one of their better ones, it has some good gags in the first 10 mins but seems to lose its way a little after that, and doesn't really feel like a typical Goodies episode (which it wasn't).

I always thought The Goodies were at their best when they relied mainly on verbal gags instead of visual gags - some of their most memorable episodes were set entirely one room ('Earthanasia' is a very good example of this).

Originally posted by Mobbenfuhrer
Unless we could have Star Blazers from 5.30!
YEAH!!!!

10_thumb.jpg

If there's one thing I like better than floating cars, it's intergallactic boats!!

Originally posted by Mobbenfuhrer
Unless we could have Star Blazers from 5.30!

I remember this show for one of the most contrived story twists. The story goes that two of the heros are on some asteroid type thing, when suddenly it is reavealed that rather than just being a piece of rock, it is actually a giant machine. It then grabs one of the heros by both his arms and his legs and cannot be budged. All seems doomed. At this point the trapped hero reveals that when he was a kid he was involved in a roller coaster accident that saw both his arms and legs amputed and replaced with mechanical limbs, that also happen to be packed with explosives! The other guy merely detaches him from his limbs, they both get back on board the ship and blow the asteroid/machine up!

Magic

Originally posted by Jim Boy
I remember this show for one of the most contrived story twists. The story goes that two of the heros are on some asteroid type thing, when suddenly it is reavealed that rather than just being a piece of rock, it is actually a giant machine. It then grabs one of the heros by both his arms and his legs and cannot be budged. All seems doomed. At this point the trapped hero reveals that when he was a kid he was involved in a roller coaster accident that saw both his arms and legs amputed and replaced with mechanical limbs, that also happen to be packed with explosives! The other guy merely detaches him from his limbs, they both get back on board the ship and blow the asteroid/machine up!

Magic
That's charachter development for you! Awesome show...

I want this show and the Goodies on every night instead of the ABC News and the 7.30 report.

I just watched the first episode; Really cool, in a nostalgic sense.

I couldn't stand it when I was a kid, thought it was really naff, especially the dumb special effects. The Daleks looked like dustbins with holes in them.

With the passing of time (pun intended) and a few grey hairs, I'll be a Dr Who fan.:D

No worries Uncle Steve!

That first episode of Dr Who was alright. I liked how he kidnapped the companions!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by Jerome
No worries Uncle Steve!

That first episode of Dr Who was alright. I liked how he kidnapped the companions!

I reckon the best bit of that episode is the theme music - how it doesn't just taper off after the opening credits but plays for a while after. Even today that music is brilliant. It was way ahead of its time in the sixties.

Paul Darrow will recomprise his role of Avon, the only survivor of the shootout on Gauda Prime, twenty years on...

:eek: What!?! No Servalan?? :( Evil never looked so good as it did on her.

Wouldnt be the same (well.. twenty years on I guess thats to be expected but still).... :(

Remove this Banner Ad

Back