Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts EKA Medal - Sweet FA Rising Star
Sep 12, 2008
Naracoorte
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Norwood, Memphis Grizzlies, Bengals
Now that we've had a chance to see them in action, who do you think was the biggest "steal" of 2010.

My nominations- I stress that these are just mine. Perhaps if I overlook someone who seems to be getting a lot of attention the mods could add that player.

Luke Dahlhaus (Western Bulldogs)- taken in rookie draft, debuted vs the Saints and has had an amazing run despite concerns over his skill levels and size which resulted in him not even being picked up in the national draft.

Shaun Atley (North Melbourne)- a slider who North picked up. Has shown great ability to take the game on when he has played.

Jack Darling (West Coast Eagles)- concerns over his attitude seem a little unwarranted. Has been a regular contributor in WCE's 2011 revival.

Alex Johnson (Sydney)- Taken as a late 3rd round pick, and is now a regular in a top 8 team, holding down a defensive spot as a teenager.

Paul Puopolo (Hawthorn)- Small mature age rebounding defender taken at pick 66 who is now a regular feature in a top 4 team's backline. Similar to Dahlhaus in size, he seems to make up for it with his undoubted talent.

Nick Duigan (Carlton)- another Norwood mature age pick. Is one of Carlton's best defenders already after being taken as a speculative 4th round pick.

Now that we've had a chance to see them in action, who do you think was the biggest "steal" of 2010.

My nominations- I stress that these are just mine. Perhaps if I overlook someone who seems to be getting a lot of attention the mods could add that player.

Luke Dahlhaus (Western Bulldogs)- taken in rookie draft, debuted vs the Saints and has had an amazing run despite concerns over his skill levels and size which resulted in him not even being picked up in the national draft.

Shaun Atley (North Melbourne)- a slider who North picked up. Has shown great ability to take the game on when he has played.

Jack Darling (West Coast Eagles)- concerns over his attitude seem a little unwarranted. Has been a regular contributor in WCE's 2011 revival.

Alex Johnson (Sydney)- Taken as a late 3rd round pick, and is now a regular in a top 8 team, holding down a defensive spot as a teenager.

Paul Puopolo (Hawthorn)- Small mature age rebounding defender taken at pick 66 who is now a regular feature in a top 4 team's backline. Similar to Dahlhaus in size, he seems to make up for it with his undoubted talent.

Nick Duigan (Carlton)- another Norwood mature age pick. Is one of Carlton's best defenders already after being taken as a speculative 4th round pick.

Patrick Karnezis.

Patrick Karnezis.

He was taken in the first round. Like Atley he's sort of line ball as to whether he is a steal or not. I put Atley in because he was a slider who from most reports was likely to go earlier than he did. Not sure whether Karnezis had that kind of prediction on him.

Darling will be the biggest star, but only slid in the draft due to off field issues.

I love the way Puopolo has gone about it this year and would have him ahead of Dalhaus and Duigan as biggest steals.

From the Pies, Fasolo has started well, he was taken at #45 IIRC and we found a gem at pick #70, Paul Seedsman, yet to debut but plays on a wing in a similar fashion as Daisy Thomas. Similar build, same courage, tough as nails, same speed and good skills. Too skinny for AFL level this year but keep an eye out in the future.

Fasolo's been good, kicked a bag of 5, taken 45, border line to make the list though.

Edit, you have Luke Dahlhaus in there, Fasolo>Dahlhaus

He was taken in the first round. Like Atley he's sort of line ball as to whether he is a steal or not. I put Atley in because he was a slider who from most reports was likely to go earlier than he did. Not sure whether Karnezis had that kind of prediction on him.
By that definition Heppell should be in.
Atley should not make the list.

Fasolo's been good, kicked a bag of 5, taken 45, border line to make the list though.

Edit, you have Luke Dahlhaus in there, Fasolo>Dahlhaus

This despite Dahlhaus contributing more goals (assists+kicked himself), getting more of the ball and averaging more champion data points than Fasolo?

Not denying that Fasolo has been good, but aside from that one game where Fasolo kicked 5, Dahlhaus has been better.

By that definition Heppell should be in.
Atley should not make the list.

As I said, Atley was lineball. Heppell was still a top 10 pick. I think more people would contest him being considered a steal than Atley who was still taken towards the middle/end of the first round.

This despite Dahlhaus contributing more goals (assists+kicked himself), getting more of the ball and averaging more champion data points than Fasolo?

Not denying that Fasolo has been good, but aside from that one game where Fasolo kicked 5, Dahlhaus has been better.

As I said, Atley was lineball. Heppell was still a top 10 pick. I think more people would contest him being considered a steal than Atley who was still taken towards the middle/end of the first round.

Fasolo kicks more goals and is involved in more scoring movements, averages more goals/points and averages 2 less disposals per game, Dahihaus been better? nah.

Fasolo's also been a sub on more than one occassion, meaning his averages should be better.

Fasolo kicks more goals and is involved in more scoring movements, averages more goals/points and averages 2 less disposals per game, Dahihaus been better? nah.

Fasolo's also been a sub on more than one occassion, meaning his averages should be better.

Dahlhaus started as sub in his first game and hasn't had the luxury of playing in a team clearly ahead of everyone else. He's been the spark in a team that is battling. Harder to play well, especially as a forward, in a team getting beaten.

Fasolo averages .3 more goals per game and .2 more behinds than Dahlhaus. That 5 goal game in a big win by Collingwood raises his average. Dahlhaus has played one more game, so that makes a slight difference to his average too.

Fasolo averages 0.2 assists per game, while Dahlhaus averages one assist per game. You can say Fasolo is involved in more scoring involvements but how is that measured? How can you say Dahlhaus doesn't get involved as much? Direct assists are much more meaningful.

Dahlhaus gets more touches than Fasolo, despite being listed as a forward while the Collingwood player is listed as a midfielder. Dahlhaus also averages two more tackles per game, and more inside 50's.

Both have been good. Dahlhaus has been better over the 8-9 games each have played, despite Fasolo playing one game which was better than any performance Dahlhaus has given.

I don't think Atley should have made the list, has been a bit underwhelming considering how highly some rated him.

From Melbourne I've loved the way Howe has played this year, he was a legitimate smokey at pick 33.

Darling has been great and will be great, but I'm not sure he is the 'biggest steal' as of yet. Has been a bit down of late.

Players like Cam Pederson and Ed Curnow deserve a mention.

I'll go Pedersen, rookie pick and has done brilliantly as a utility KP player.

Out of your choices?

Duigan.

I forgot about Pederson, who has been pretty handy, and Curnow didn't quite keep up the early season form so I didn't put him in.

Dahlhaus started as sub in his first game and hasn't had the luxury of playing in a team clearly ahead of everyone else. He's been the spark in a team that is battling. Harder to play well, especially as a forward, in a team getting beaten.

Fasolo averages .3 more goals per game and .2 more behinds than Dahlhaus. That 5 goal game in a big win by Collingwood raises his average. Dahlhaus has played one more game, so that makes a slight difference to his average too.

Fasolo averages 0.2 assists per game, while Dahlhaus averages one assist per game. You can say Fasolo is involved in more scoring involvements but how is that measured? How can you say Dahlhaus doesn't get involved as much? Direct assists are much more meaningful.

Dahlhaus gets more touches than Fasolo, despite being listed as a forward while the Collingwood player is listed as a midfielder. Dahlhaus also averages two more tackles per game, and more inside 50's.

Both have been good. Dahlhaus has been better over the 8-9 games each have played, despite Fasolo playing one game which was better than any performance Dahlhaus has given.

It's actually the other way around, your boy spends more time on ball, look at the rebound 50s/Inside 50s, Fasolo plays as a semi defensive fwd.

Also, why should we take away Fasolos best game? he did play it you know, it does exist, i was a better player than Ablett senior if you take away his best 200+ games. :D (Well maybe not better, but the gap would close lol)

It's actually the other way around, your boy spends more time on ball, look at the rebound 50s/Inside 50s, Fasolo plays as a semi defensive fwd.

Also, why should we take away Fasolos best game? he did play it you know, it does exist, i was a better player than Ablett senior if you take away his best 200+ games. :D (Well maybe not better, but the gap would close lol)

I never said take away Fasolo's best game, but if you want to use that as a be all and end all for him being better then I guess Wayde Skipper>Nic Naitanui, or David Hale>Aaron Sandilands.

Dahlhaus doesn't play on the ball. He may go up the ground to get a kick or fill a hole, and occasionally pinch-hit, but he's not a midfielder. He's a forward flanker/forward pocket. He also played as a defensive forward on Chris Yarran when we played Carlton, which often involved chasing him up the ground.

Champion Data points are usually a great way to measure a player's worth, and Dahlhaus is worth more. He has been better over the season. That's all there is to it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I never said take away Fasolo's best game, but if you want to use that as a be all and end all for him being better then I guess Wayde Skipper>Nic Naitanui, or David Hale>Aaron Sandilands.

Dahlhaus doesn't play on the ball. He may go up the ground to get a kick or fill a hole, and occasionally pinch-hit, but he's not a midfielder. He's a forward flanker/forward pocket. He also played as a defensive forward on Chris Yarran when we played Carlton, which often involved chasing him up the ground.

Champion Data points are usually a great way to measure a player's worth, and Dahlhaus is worth more. He has been better over the season. That's all there is to it.

He had a blinder on the weekend, their both very promising and i'm sure both wouldve been drafted earlier with hindsight.

Darling by a long way. At what 18 years of age, he already has an AFL ready body which has proven successful especially early in the season when he was making experienced defenders look out of their depth. The fact that he's going to develop into a key KP rather then just another mid or defender stock adds to his value IMO.

Dahlhaus is the other that has shown serious ability with the run and energy he provides to the team.

Atley is a quality prospect based on potential, but TBH he hasn't shown as much as I'd come to expect this year. Harper has definitely shown more.

Jake Batchelor?

No way Atley should be on the list i'd say he's been quite underwhelming for the position he was taken

Dahlhaus is like Ben Nason Mk 2

As I said, it is just my nominations. I can't change the poll now. Put a case for Batchelor and if it is well received then maybe a mod can edit the poll. Right now, Batchelor is "other".

Dahlhaus is a far better player than Nason.

I voted Darling. IMO the 2nd best performed player from the draft so far and was taken in the 20s.

But others of note:

Dean Polo has been handy for St Kilda at times and was taken with pick 103 in the draft. For him to contribute anything at all constitutes a bit of a steal.

Arryn Siposs played only a couple of games but showed glimpses. Was pick 75 in the draft.

Fasolo has been mentioned, but would be a great story if he was to play in a premiership this year, and he is a big chance.

Jeremy Howe is worth a mention. Again yesterday he was great against the Eagles, providing a real target up forward. Extremely athletic, I think they have found a player.

Atley doesn't warrant a mention, but I think Kieran Harper has been pretty good for North this year, was taken later than Atley in the draft also.

I voted Darling. IMO the 2nd best performed player from the draft so far and was taken in the 20s.

But others of note:

Dean Polo has been handy for St Kilda at times and was taken with pick 103 in the draft. For him to contribute anything at all constitutes a bit of a steal.

Arryn Siposs played only a couple of games but showed glimpses. Was pick 75 in the draft.

Fasolo has been mentioned, but would be a great story if he was to play in a premiership this year, and he is a big chance.

Jeremy Howe is worth a mention. Again yesterday he was great against the Eagles, providing a real target up forward. Extremely athletic, I think they have found a player.

Atley doesn't warrant a mention, but I think Kieran Harper has been pretty good for North this year, was taken later than Atley in the draft also.

Atley was very good mid season and has tappered off.

Harper probably belongs in this list, won't win off the stats page, but has some of the most damaging footskills you will see in an 19 year old, and looms as very very good half forward/midfielder in the SJ/Didak mould, but the type that wont reach his full potential until he's in his mid 20's imo.

I loved Dalhaus' workrate this year, he was excellent at the Falcons last year, Fasolo has been good.

Year of the mature agers for me imo, namely Duigan, Lower, Pederson, Puopulo, Isaac Smith and Mzungu.

He's not ready to compete with some of the names mentioned in this thread but I think Michael Ross taken at pick 80 for Essendon will turn out to be a draft steal.

To nominate for my own club I'd say Isaac Smith - Pick 19 who is averaging 18 possessions and 1.4 goals a game. His run and carry is great for us.

I wonder if the Hawks beat us to Puopolo. Duigan said that Carlton spoke to him in round 16 and told him that we were looking at a few mature age players from the SANFL. Shocked that Drummond didn't spot them after he constantly pumped up John Meesen and Darren Pfeiffer. :D

We were going to take Puopolo with pick 74(or 75? i dunno). Damn Hawthorn beat us to him.

Back