Eagles vs Dockers @ MCG?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sera

Club Legend
Mar 17, 2003
Indian Ocean
Other Teams
Fremantle Dockers
If the finals were played tomorrow it would be Eagles vs Dockers at the MCG. What a joke, I hope it doesn't happen, how many people would they get? They would struggle to get into the 10s of thousands. It would be a tragedy for such a historic event.

Eagles vs Dockers final would be sweet, hope it is at Subiaco if it happens though.

What can ya do though?

I hope it happens this year - it will really give the MCG the ****s, and with a bit of luck make them review the current contract in place.

I don't see what good to them, a Freo-WCE game is, or an Adel-WCE game or a Bris-Adel game is, or any match invovling two interstate teams is.

Originally posted by daddy_4_eyes
Rd22 is going to be an interesting scenario. West Coast and Fremantle could well be playing for the right to play a home final at the MCG against one another...

There are 2 ways of looking at this:

1. It's a disgrace. Potential laughing stock the world over. Lets down the loyal supporters in Perth of both sides who've turned up in their thousands every week - and some might decide never to bother again.

2. Hope it happens. Will show up the AFL for the Victorian farce it is. May in the longer run change the game for the better.

I'm not sure which it is, but the VAFL looks daft under both scenarios.

For what it's worth, it would suit me fine - fly down from Sydney.

And with Freo winning 3 of 5 in Melbourne this eyar, it is our home away from home anyway. ;)

Word from Virgin

Greetings one and all. Don't know if you have heard but Virgin airlines have promised to accomodate all the folks in the west that may want to fly in for finals games. They are going to put on extra flights to meet demand.

As for the numbers, don't be fooled into believing the numbers would be low. People will go to finals matches regardless of whose playing in them. It may not be the regular crowd but it allows the opportunity for others to go so the numbers won't be as bad as people think.

I wouldn't be surprised to see about 45 - 50 Thousand at an Eagles/Dockers final at the "G"

Re: Word from Virgin

Originally posted by The Oracle

I wouldn't be surprised to see about 45 - 50 Thousand at an Eagles/Dockers final at the "G"
As if. Essendon vs WCE elimination final at the Dome only brought about 30 odd.

A preliminary I reckon would attract about 40-50, but an elimination final would only get around 15 I reckon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by The Oracle
Well done Woosha. Two years a senior coach and two years a finals campaign.

We aint in yet. We have to win at least one more game. The Roos are just 8 points behind and St Kilda will probably finish on 12 wins...

Originally posted by Voice of Reason
There are 2 ways of looking at this:

1. It's a disgrace. Potential laughing stock the world over. Lets down the loyal supporters in Perth of both sides who've turned up in their thousands every week - and some might decide never to bother again.

2. Hope it happens. Will show up the AFL for the Victorian farce it is. May in the longer run change the game for the better.

I'm not sure which it is, but the VAFL looks daft under both scenarios.

The best outcome from Freo v WCE at the MCG would be the mess that the AFL has got itself into.

Over 100,000 empty seats...
That's the 42,000 at Subi + 60,000 odd at MCG.
What a farce.

I would almost go with choice #2 VoR....

But everybody loves a underdog and fremantle is probably the one of the biggest of all time! Freo to pull a big crowd

Think about it. The only people who would go to this game would be the Eagles and Dockers supporters in Melbourne.. probably about 3000-4000 people, plus maybe 2000 fly over tops and the MCC members and most of them probably wouldn't even turn up.... so yeah, probably less than 10000.

Would seem crazy. Up to 60,000+ wanting tickets for a Derby Elimination Final compared to approx 15,000 in Melbourne.

If It happened I'd still fly over to see it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back