AFLW Player Ellie Hampson (2023-)

Remove this Banner Ad

The Club will receive Ellie Hampson from the SUNS and pick 40 from North Melbournein exchange for Lulu Pullar to North and Jesse Wardlaw to St Kilda.

Debuting in Round 2, 2020 for the SUNS against Richmond, Hampson has played 23 games in four seasons.

In AFLW Season Six, the 22-year-old was awarded a Rising Star nomination for her performance against Geelong in Round 6.

A Queensland local, growing up in Townsville, Hampson will bolster an already star-studded midfield.

The former SUN reunites with seven team-mates from the Under 18 Queensland team which was a part of the 2018 NAB AFL Women’s Under 18 National Championships.

Lions’ Head of Women’s Football, Breeanna Brock, believes close friendships with Nat Grider and Jade Ellenger will allow Hampson to adapt quickly to the change in scenery.

Brock watched Hampson as she rose through junior ranks in Townsville.

“It’s been great watching her career from afar as she has progressed through the AFLW,” she said.

“We think she will be a great addition to our list and already has established friendships within the group which will help her settle into the Club quickly.

“Ellie is another physical midfielder and loves winning contested to ball which has been a strength of her game throughout her career.”

While grateful for her time on the Gold Coast, Hampson is thrilled to be joining the Lions.

“I’m super excited for a new environment to allow myself to develop and grow, both and off the field,” she said.

“Craig was a junior coach of mine and I’m excited to work with him and his team.

“I’ve got some great friends at the Lions and I’m really pumped to be playing with them.”

Teamwork is Key in Lions' Engine Room Shake Up

Of the many faces for Starcevich to consider is former Gold Coast leader Ellie Hampson.

The midfield powerhouse is great mates with Ellenger and walked into the Lions' den as friends with so many from her days of playing under-age footy for Queensland.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back