Analysis Every AFC Draft Pick from the Last Ten Years Analysed

Remove this Banner Ad

Bob Neil

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2011
At a table with old friends
AFL Club
Adelaide
Not surprisingly as we approach the silly season (draft day) there's lots of chatter about our previous drafting success (or otherwise). Thought I'd share some actual data to help inform the debate - hopefully posters find it useful (and apologies in advance for any readability issues - was a challenge to fit the info into a consumable format).

The chart below shows all 59 draft selections (i.e. NOT including trades) that we made in the period 2012-2021. The way to interpret the chart is as follows:
  • the picks are ordered from left to right by 'type of draft' (National --> Pre-Season --> Rookie --> Mid-Season) and then by 'pick number' (i.e. pick 2 before pick 15). So the draft selection shown is Riley Thilthorpe as he is our highest selection in the National Draft in that period.
  • then for each selection the chart shows a red box for the 'expected number of games' (along with red error bars showing a range +/- 25%). This expected number of games metric (in fact all data) is sourced from the legend at DraftGuru and is based on historical AFL records going back over 38 years of drafts!! - it's an awesome resource so check it out). As you'd imagine as you follow the red boxes from left to right the expected number of games generally goes down (although there are some anomalies - check out pick #6 in ND which historically has had a very low average number of games)
  • then for each selection the chart shows a blue triangle for how many games that selected player has actually played to date...if it falls above the red box (i.e. Actual Games ? Expected Games) then that selection has 'outperformed'; conversely if the blue triangle is below the red box the latter applies (with caveats per below).
  • a few caveats on using 'Expected Games' as a measuring stick:
    • per above there's historical anomalies in some picks (e.g. pick 6) and so we should reasonably expect more than sixty-odd games from pick 6 even though that's it's historical average.
    • the EG averages are deflated (i.e. lower than they otherwise would be) as they are based on [EDIT: datasets that include...] 'live' player careers that aren't completed (i.e. the EG average for pick #2 is 138 games and includes Sam Darcy, RT, Noah Anderson, et al who are still early in their careers). If I had a lot more time I would have tried to filter for 'completed careers' and the true average would be higher...but I don't!
    • Similarly the AG numbers in many cases are for live careers and so in these cases you're less analysing 'is this draft selection less than expected now but rather will it end up above expectations'
    • the lower down the pick numbers you go and especially into the PS, Rookie and MS drafts then there is not a 'statistically significant' number of previous draft selections on which to reliably draw an average (i.e. the average # of games played by ND pick 119 is 122!?). This is where the Draft Points Index is perhaps a fairer measure of the value of a pick.
    • all of these indicators are based on quantity of games played - the data says nothing about the quality of games played.
So with all that said I look forward to hearing what posters think this data says about our drafting.

1661991639266.png

Last edited:
First reaction is that our team, especially our high picks, is too young for the data set you’ve chosen to be useful in analysis. Makes Rachele, TT look like bad picks.

That said, if you look at the more mature careers, it confirms what many are saying: we have good much better value out of our later picks.

Great data collection.

I wonder if you would be able to normalise the expected games by the number of years since drafted. This would be particularly interesting for the last 3 or 4 years, where players like RT have only been on the list a couple of years.

For example, the ave games for pick 2 is 140, but as RT was only drafted 2 years ago, the expected games is 28 (assuming a 10 year career).

I don't know if you'll have that data, but it would give some more insight.

Here's a slightly different way to think about the 'Expected Games' metric. The numbers above are a bit rubbery for the reasons I mentioned - the ones below show the historical likelihood of reaching different games milestones. Note that it only includes players who actually debuted - doesn't factor in those who were on a list but never played.

So if you you know that across the ND, PSD, MSD, etc that around 100 players enter the AFL system each year then you might expect that the #1 pick should be among the top 5% of that cohort which roughly equates to 200 games.

Game MilestoneNumber Of Players To Reach MilestonePercentage Of Players To Reach Milestone
113020100.00%
10828663.64%
50427632.84%
100239018.36%
15012819.84%
2006384.90%
2502702.07%
300940.72%
350190.15%
40050.04%

How the hell has Riley Thilthorpe meant to have played 140 games out of 44

The graph doesn't take into account how far into their career they are, so will automatically make it look like we drafted poorly when it comes to recent picks.

Your expected total takes into account a career (up to 20 years) but you're only using players drafted in the last 10 years?

You're not comparing apples with apples.

How the hell has Riley Thilthorpe meant to have played 140 games out of 44

The graph doesn't take into account how far into their career they are, so will automatically make it look like we drafted poorly when it comes to recent picks.

Your expected total takes into account a career (up to 20 years) but you're only using players drafted in the last 10 years?

You're not comparing apples with apples.
How right you are...if only I'd shared that exact point (along with others) in the OP as a caveat in interpreting the data. Apologies for not meeting your expectations.

Ive seen several attempts over the years to assign a statistical value to a given draft pick. This is one I just found quickly, but more or less agrees with what I've seen before Screenshot_20220831-165150_Chrome.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back