OzBomber

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 26, 2006
Walton Breck Rd
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool, Ricciardo
Another year, another F1 game. Absolutely love these games so I can't wait for this to come out. Probably won't be too much extra added to the game, but Hockenheim and Bahrain are back, and the new Austin track is in it.

Probably won't purchase this game as I haven't even finished 2010.

That Austin Texas track looks really good, but when it comes to viewing the actual Grand Prix I won't be able to watch it as it will most likely be on too late (like the Canadian GP).

I've got it, and while the gameplay is probably a little more realistic (in terms of handling the cars), overall i think it's worse.

I'm liking the champions mode, even if it is a bit easy. Personally i reckon career mode is shitter now. They've upped the minimum laps in career mode to 25% instead of 20%. That's dumb. Sure, add the option in for people who want the extra few laps, but leave the other options there too. That means the minimum race is now about 25 minutes, not 20, plus quali and practice. That's an extra 100 minutes per season. For people who like to breeze through career mode, that's s**t.

And i love F1 as much as the next guy, but i also love my life outside of the game, and other games. One way to piss me off is to force me to play longer than i want to. And they've also removed the custom grand prix option so you can't even make your own season of shorter races. They do have the season challenge option but that's limited to 10 or 12 x 5 lap races where your only objective is to beat a rival, and only lasts 1 season.

Dunno where i sit with F1 games. I played 2011 and i just tried the demo for 2012. I stuff up too much to give it a go on the harder difficulties without any assistance and it's far to easy to win races/career with the assists on.

Finally got this game on Tuesday, huge copy n paste job any animation like celebration or stepping into the car or post race celebrations cutscenes are exactly the same as the 2011 version, the character models in the garage are the same as 2011, can tell no difference in the graphics at all apart from Singapore which looks worse than the 2010 version.

I played a season of Seasons Challenge which was ok entertainment but it is basically a custom season add a rival, switch teams a couple of times and minus the ability to choose which tracks you race on idk why. Scenarios are either overtake your teammate in 3 laps or not be overtaken in 3 laps yawn.

I chose Torro Rosso as my first team in career just so I could team-up with Ricciardo. The cars feel a lot easier too handle this year the only assists I'm using atm are automatic gears and racing line on corners otherwise I would lock up on each corner. Going to attempt to complete all 5 seasons will take at least 10 hours per season though.

Multiplayer has the same old issues again, just like 2011 you can expect to be knocked of the track on the first corner and be given a penalty for causing a collision for it. Just before on Spa I was on the track on the racing line, some scrub went of the track, spun out, came back onto the track and t-boned me off the circuit and I got a time penalty and a 10xp collision deduction.

+ the new Austin circuit is crap but that isn't the developers fault I guess.

Anyone still playing this? I dusted it off the other day and remembered why i hadn't played it in so long. Easily the worst one that Codemasters have put out. Played one race and that was enough. Started on inters because it was wet, it's impossible to tell when the track is dry enough for slicks and if you do it a lap early you're screwed. So i come around the final turn and just as I pass the pit entry the engineer goes "It's time to put on the dry tyres." Well * you. Couldn't have come up with that gem like 10 seconds earlier so i could actually pit this lap?

I had one flashback left so i wasted it going back far enough that i could actually pit, followed by everyone else behind me. Sweet, at least i won't lose a bunch of time. Wrong. My pit stop ends and my lollipop guy holds me there for an eternity. Waited for absolutely everything in the pit lane, even huge gaps. Ended up costing me 10 places.

Few laps later and i'd finally caught up a bit of lost time, and about 2 laps out from the end of the race i was following 2 AI drivers, one of the AI drivers cuts right out in front of me while jockeying for position which spins him out. Yep, 20 second penalty for me.

Won't be bothering with it again any time soon. Will stick with GT5 for my racing fix.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back