Farren Ray

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by lamby29
Sorry to intrude guys... but strong word says the Top 5 is concrete.

1. Cooney
2. Walker
3. Sylvia
4. Ray
5. Dunn (probably)

Ray is a gun but I don't really know why the Bulldogs are keen. I would imagine that a tall (Watts, Morrison, Bradley) or an inside midfielder would be the way to go.

But being an outsider... what would I know?

I really rate Dunn as well...would have loved him at pick 4 if we had kept pick 6, then we would have gotten Ray at 6....Sylvia & Dunn will be excellent additions to your team.

I think the Bulldogs are keen because of the policy of taking the best player available no matter what position and Ray definitely has the scope to be an out and out superstar in the years to come.

I've said it once and I'll say it again.

If we are serious in climbing the ladder ASAP , we cannot draft Ray.

We already have employed a weights coach to put some beef on McMahon, Birss, Gilbee etc..
We havn't got 3 years for Ray to beef up.

Its either Walker, Sylvia, Tenace or Dunn for me.

Originally posted by lamby29
Sorry to intrude guys... but strong word says the Top 5 is concrete.

Ray is a gun but I don't really know why the Bulldogs are keen. I would imagine that a tall (Watts, Morrison, Bradley) or an inside midfielder would be the way to go.

But being an outsider... what would I know?

If the Rawlings deal goes ahead then a KPP might not be required although I think both Bradley and Morrison would be good investments. I think there is about 8 genuine candidates for our selection with Ray, Dunn, Clarke, Sylvia, Tenace and Walker all having strong claims. Like the Dees we are in a good position to land two very talented player. Sylvia would be the pick of them but I suspect the Dees will try to grab him at three.

Originally posted by BatteredBulldog

We already have employed a weights coach to put some beef on McMahon, Birss, Gilbee etc..
We havn't got 3 years for Ray to beef up.

Its either Walker, Sylvia, Tenace or Dunn for me.

BB, I don't really see the connection here. How can the drafting of one player be so vital ? All the player you have nominated are very good players including Ray.
I think we have traded well and added considerable depth to our list so from my point of view, our number 4 selection can be a combination of either the best player available, a player that fits our needs now or a long term project. It's a great position to be in.

But what if you're not?

If its all about premierships, do you think that the Dogs list as it is will be able to compete with the likes of St Kilda and Freo in a couple in three to five years time without some more good early draft options (by early, meaning top ten picks)? Are you willing to bet a decade of football on it?

In my opinion, rushing out of the bottom four with a list that could still do with answers to some major weaknesses won't help you much.

Take Ray if he's the best available. If you get a lock on outside midfielders, some bugger is going to want them in a couple of years and you'll have them by the nads.

The biggest concern should be over your ability to develop these youngsters, not how big they currently are - get that right, and you're making the most of the investment. Its probably not an area that the Dogs are advantaged in however.

Originally posted by OldSchool
If the Rawlings deal goes ahead then a KPP might not be required although I think both Bradley and Morrison would be good investments. I think there is about 8 genuine candidates for our selection with Ray, Dunn, Clarke, Sylvia, Tenace and Walker all having strong claims. Like the Dees we are in a good position to land two very talented player. Sylvia would be the pick of them but I suspect the Dees will try to grab him at three.
Got that right.

Unless CAC is incredibly stupid, we will snap him up at 3.

Porthos,

Your spot on with your theory. BUT, The Dogs havn't got 3-5 years to develop a player like Ray , even if he will become a gun in 3 years.

To answer your question, I do beleive we can compete with Freo and Saints in the next 2 years. I beleive we have some good youngsters to back up our top 6 gun players ( Darcy, Johnno, West, grant etc..)
I saw us finish basically last in 1996 and almost play in a GF next year. Whilst i dont beleive we can make such a big leap next year, we should be able to challenge for a top 8 spot IF we recruit right, get coached right and have some luck with injuries.

We also need to attend to some deficiencies and they are:-

some KPP's
backup ruckman
strong bodied inside midfielders

We should get Rawlings to add to Morgon.
We've recruited Street.
We need to strengthen our midfield by bulking up our 30-50 game players and/or recruit them.
Ray cannot have an impact next year.

In 2006, when the TV rights contract is up, the Doggies need to have had some relative success between now and then. If not, then the future is bleak. We will then pass on a fully developed Farren Ray to another club ala Fitzroy.

How many Farren Ray's do you see running around in Brisbane.

Not that many -even with the muscle they have in their side.

The kid is likely to be another Alvey / Eagleton /Mcmahon stuck somewhere in-between for a decade.

Mcmahon at least has enough jack-rabbit speed outside of the packs to do so. Eagleton has his left foot (someone should remind him about it) to get the ball in quick (ala Rhode instructions) but Alvey hasn't got anything to win a game in a major way --> he only played well when we were getting killed and he was a minor nuisance to try new kids on.
We need proper players that aren't going to be in the midfield mix-up pot of semi-good investments.

Buy an extra forward -Silvia, Chaplin or even Fergus Watts that at least can stretch the opposition -if we need a mid-fielder in future (no likely should the club not blow it and get Cooney) then we trade a mid-level player for such. 1 and 4 are BLUE-CHIP deals that should be done.
Walker Cooney Silvia Bradley Watts and McLean (brock) are the stuff that promise top-level performance in either midfield or forward or back.

Example 2) Herrington kicked 15 odd goals in 3 games (u18 championships). H e was the stand-out player as a forward.
But he is shorter then Brown and if you pick on brown's size for f-forward wait till you see this guy. He will get picked and used well (he is better then shane harvey) but not in top ten despite his performances always being the same

Porthos,

Your spot on with your theory. BUT, The Dogs havn't got 3-5 years to develop a player like Ray , even if he will become a gun in 3 years.
If you're waiting for our No.4 pick to be a match winner within 3 years, I think you'll disappointed.
Judd is probably the only exception here.

B-R your Brisbane comparison doesn't mention that they finished last not so long ago and weren't beating all the next year with skinny kids. How many years did it take stars like Chris Johnson, Justin Leppitsch, Mal Michael and Simon Black to develop?

Originally posted by Bloody-Redhead
How many Farren Ray's do you see running around in Brisbane.

None at the moment but I do recall a young Akermanis, a young Black, a young Lappin and a young Luke Power being so skinny it seemed they'd never make it. And they all started out as outside players.

Farren Ray has courage and will go in for the hardball. He will put on weight in the next couple of years and become an excellent player for the Bulldogs.

Whats the point of going for the young player now who will make the most impact in 2004 to help us get into 10th spot or even sneak into the 8. We should be drafting players who have the most scope for improvement and the chance to become a genuine 'star' player to help us to an eventual premiership. We've now got 3 early draft picks that we can build a future side around in Walsh, Cooney & probably Ray. Add to these, Faulkner, Murphy, Gia, Skipper, Harris, McMahon, Wight, Power etc. and we will be challenging within a couple of years.

To answer your question, I do beleive we can compete with Freo and Saints in the next 2 years.

Thats the last thing we should be setting our sights on.

We should be recruiting a team to win the flag in the future not attempting to catch up with a couple of teams who will be mid table for the next couple of years.

A few here would remember that a fellow named Templeton did alright at FF looking like a stick insect against some very big men.:)
Originally posted by Tank
My hope would be that he is given a go by the supporters and not slaughtered because of his current body weight.

Kevin Sheean said Ray's marking reminds him of Wayne Carey and I've been told that Farren will throw himself into packs to get the hard ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by localyokel
I guess James Hird is no ball of muscle but noone could doubt his courage or effectivness.

People doubt James Hird's courage all the time.....anyone who actually watches him knows he is fearless, but some idiots have always been fooled by his Pretty Boy / Nice guy image.

Originally posted by TD
People doubt James Hird's courage all the time.

Only at their own peril. I wouldnt want to be under the flight of the ball with him backing towards me. Better than me have tried and been sat on their arse watching him run of with the ball.

Originally posted by TD
People doubt James Hird's courage all the time.....anyone who actually watches him knows he is fearless, but some idiots have always been fooled by his Pretty Boy / Nice guy image.

I've never heard anyone doubt his courage - or his skill.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back