Food, Drink & Dining Out Favourite Beer II

Remove this Banner Ad

My draught beer drinking in the last fortnight has included Evil Twin's Biscotti Break, Natalie (Biscotti Break with cherries) and Donut Break @ Flying Saucer in St Louis, and Stone's Smoked Chocolate Porter with Orange peel, and Master Of Disguise here in Springfield

I think we just have to come to terms that Australia doesn't make particularly good beer yet.

That's crap. I was pretty impressed by the craft beer scene when I was in Melbourne. Sydney and Brisbane, not so much.

Brewers like Holgate, Mountain Goat, Stone & Wood, Feral, Little Creatures, Bridge Road and Kooinda all impressed me, and even Matilda Bay was passable. You guys have some serious brewing talent floating around down there.

That's crap. I was pretty impressed by the craft beer scene when I was in Melbourne. Sydney and Brisbane, not so much.

Brewers like Holgate, Mountain Goat, Stone & Wood, Feral, Little Creatures, Bridge Road and Kooinda all impressed me, and even Matilda Bay was passable. You guys have some serious brewing talent floating around down there.

Let me say it again...........Australian's aren't particularly good brewers yet.
Some of those beers you've mentioned are just O.K. but no big deal on the bigger level.

At least you didn't mention Fat Yak so some kudos for that.

Let me say it again...........Australian's aren't particularly good brewers yet.
Some of those beers you've mentioned are just O.K. but no big deal on the bigger level.

At least you didn't mention Fat Yak so some kudos for that.

What's the "bigger level"? I felt they all made beers that could hold their own against many of the craft brewers here in the States.

My opinion, Kooinda's Black IPA was one of the best Black IPA's I've tasted. And Holgate's Temptress was incredible. I even liked Jamieson's brews, although I thought the branding was a bit crap.

I didn't even have a problem with Fat Yak, although I preferred Beez Neez of all the Matilda Bay offerings I tried. They struck me as Australia's answer to Magic Hat/Saranac/Long Trail in that they are a larger brewery making nicely drinkable, albeit not incredibly impressive, beer-tasting beers.

What's the "bigger level"? I felt they all made beers that could hold their own against many of the craft brewers here in the States.
My opinion, Kooinda's Black IPA was one of the best Black IPA's I've tasted. And Holgate's Temptress was incredible. I even liked Jamieson's brews, although I thought the branding was a bit crap.
I didn't even have a problem with Fat Yak, although I preferred Beez Neez of all the Matilda Bay offerings I tried. They struck me as Australia's answer to Magic Hat/Saranac/Long Trail in that they are a larger brewery making nicely drinkable, albeit not incredibly impressive, beer-tasting beers.

I think it's great that we've gone a long way forward with our brewing and to be fair there are plenty of good Australian craft beers........but none are great and none are a patch on even what the likes of our friends across the Tasman can produce.
Maybe we just don't care to be great..................just commercial.............I don't know.

I do wonder though, whether some of these smaller breweries may start to get killed off should we import heavier.
At this stage you can strike it lucky by picking up a better American product, at around the same price as for some of the stuff we produce locally.
Our dollar is dropping so that may start swinging things around again, but it's surprising just how cheap some of the Yank stuff is.

I think it's great that we've gone a long way forward with our brewing and to be fair there are plenty of good Australian craft beers........but none are great and none are a patch on even what the likes of our friends across the Tasman can produce.
Maybe we just don't care to be great..................just commercial.............I don't know.

Meh. I get some NZ stuff, thanks to friends who live down there, and aside from Yeastie Boys, Moa, and 8 Wired, I've been less than impressed. Liberty and Tuatara were alright, would like to try more of theirs. Would like to get my hands on a Renaissance, heard decent things about them.

Oddly enough, easier to get NZ beers here in the States too.

I do wonder though, whether some of these smaller breweries may start to get killed off should we import heavier.
At this stage you can strike it lucky by picking up a better American product, at around the same price as for some of the stuff we produce locally.
Our dollar is dropping so that may start swinging things around again, but it's surprising just how cheap some of the Yank stuff is.

It must've gotten a lot cheaper since I was down, I think a bottle of Arrogant Bastard was running in the high teens when I was there. They're making some really aggressive international moves though.

I hope Australian breweries don't get killed off - in fact, it would be great if they would move some product to other countries. You can't get recognized if most of the world can't get your beer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Started last night at Le Bon Ton. Bbq and Torpedo on tap. Lovely. Couple of post meal cocktails and off to The Terminus. Hop hog on tap - only strayed once, some Kiwi IPA I've never heard of though was nice. Great evening with friends. Friends had the limited Sierra Nebada Porter they have on tap at The Terminus and enjoyed it. Stuffed now. Just some lazy JF and colas on the couch whilst contemplating ordering pizza.

Compared to the rubbish I usually find available in cans, I was rapt to see Fat Yak in cans the other week. Made a 4 day music festival so much better than drinking Melb Bitter (the next best) for 4 days.

There's a lot of good beer available in cans at the moment, just got to find the stores that stock them!

Personally I'd rather VB than Fat Yak, but each to their own!

You can find some Founders All Day IPA - a session IPA at around 5% - in cans... awesome.

Nabbed some of the Sierra Nevada Pale Ale cans at Dan Murphy's last week. Hearty at 473mL a can.

But when it comes to cans, Evil Twins Hipster Ale still wins out despite the price.

Have you seen any Biscotti Break or Donut Break over there?
I'm a South Australian FWIW, but yeah I've found both at my favourite local (Wheatsheaf Hotel in Thebby for those playing the game). Constantly rotating taps but also do plenty of six pack sales and stuff for exorbitant costs. Tried the Doughnut Break which was pretty phenomenal, but couldn't have more than one.

For any Sydneysiders, I hope you take advantage of your local crafties Doctors Orders Brewing. The Zephyr Double White Ale is just fantastic in its sweet/hoppiness. Granted I went to it after a particularly hoppy IPA every time I've had it on tap at the Wheaty, which probably exacerbates the flavour, but I love it. Perfect Summer beer if you only want one, particularly intense beer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back