Premiership Player
Jun 1, 2005
Location, Location
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal
I referring to boxing here.

Now, it is really hard to judge this fairly, given that I haven't seen all of the fights took place in 2009, however, I'll just base it from the fights I have seen.

Candidate #1 - Pacquiao v. Cotto

Yeah, it started to become a little one sided in the later stages of the fight, but for the first 6 or so rounds, it was really something to behold. Also, it was a mega-fight, so with all of the build-up and hype surrounding it, it just had that atmosphere which appealed to me as a boxing fan.

Watch it here: http://hbo.com/#/global-video/video.html/eNrjcmbOUM-PSXHMS8ypLMlMDkhMT-VLzE1lzmcu1CzLTEnNh8k45+eVpFaUsDFyMjKyNTKWZaaW2+ZkFpeoAVXZGhqYG5kaG6gllpbkF+QkVtqWFJWmqqXlF5XmeqbYJuVXZOalq6Vl5pSkFkF5bIwA6-cpsQ==

Candidate #2 - Williams v. Martinez

Now this was a fight. I was expected Williams to simply outwork Martinez, but the two of them really put on a show. Both fighters landed some exceptional blows, and whilst Martinez clearly landed the better punches, Williams probably outworked him. As they say, styles make fights, and that was certainly true of this bout. Further, it was incredible action from start to finish, and a real war. The only negative associated with this fight was some dubious work scoring the fight, but that is merely a slight detraction from one of this year's instant classics.

If you haven't seen it (and you should if you haven't), watch the full fight here: http://www.hbo.com/#/global-video/video.html/eNrjcmbOUM-PSXHMS8ypLMlMDkhMT-VLzE1lzmcu1CzLTEnNh8k45+eVpFaUsDFyMjKyNTKXZaaW22bmpaRWqAGV2RoamBuZGhuqJZaW5BfkJFbalhSVpqql5ReV5nqm2CblV2TmpaulZeaUpBZBeWyMABdKKhA=

Candidate #3 - Lopez v. Mtagwa

If you want to see a war, watch this fight. If you want to see heart, grit and determination to survive, watch this fight.

Once again, a great contrast in styles, with Lopez being technically correct and Rogers Mtagwa just going for broke, swinging wildly with little regard for the defensive side of his game. Towards the end of the fight, the favoured Lopez started to take some really good shots, and it became an all-out battle, with both fighters giving and receiving. The last round, in particular, was incredible. Lopez was literally out on his feet, and as a result, I was shocked to see him survive.

It really is a must watch if you haven't seen it. I think it was a Top Rank fight so I don't have a direct link to it, but I'm sure you can find it elsewhere.

My 2009 Fight of the Year - Lopez v. Mtagwa

It was simply a breath-taking contrast of styles, and should be remembered as one of the all-time classics.

Well, that's it from me.

What was your fight of the year?

It can be one of the above, or any other fight from 2009.

Looking forward to your responses :thumbsu:

I wouldn't say there's an obvious stand out for fight of the year. Williams vs Martinez was a little over-rated in my opinion. Solid fight but I wouldn't consider it fight of the year. Pacquiao vs Cotto was too one-sided. Lopez vs Mtagwa was a good slugfest. My fight of the year was probably Marquez vs Diaz. Really loved the guts Marquez showed to get up and stop Diaz after taking a beating in the first 5 rounds.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back