Education & Reference Finishing uni

Remove this Banner Ad

Go study something else in Germany, its free if you get accepted and they teach many courses in English, including some post grad. And you can work over there doing some shitty job and your euros will go a lot further.

The reality for your generation in Australia:

1. Finding a job is hard, and it will be a s**t job if that. Most grads won't find meaningful employment for 5 years after finishing their degree.
2. If you land a job, everything is ******* expensive anyway.

Seriously, go learn some German, study in Germany, meet German women. It will be cheaper and a lot more fun and less economically savage.

Disagree with 1- hard yes, but over exaggerated by the unemployed. It's a competitive job market, if someone's a better for for the than you of course they will get the gig.
Point 2 is a defeatist attitude really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spain, England, Berlin was alright, really dug Paris in retrospect too... Budapest...

Does that pass muster?

I don't get why people get so defensive when someone else says they weren't as keen on a place as someone else. It depends on so much: how tired you were, who you were with, how much money you had, the weather... I'm just saying I don't 100% get why people place Germany on a really high pedestal in comparison to other places. I think people see Italy as 'done' and untrendy and they'd rather talk up Croatia or the east because it's trendier for 20-somethings.
Oh, no, I was genuinely curious.

I loved Berlin, enjoyed England a lot too, and Paris is just amazing.

Is it pretty much just two groups of people now that leave Uni? The type who do the best to get an internship or position in their field and spend all their time living and breathing their vocation and those that head away for 3-6 months and come back to work a casual job whilst they wait for a position?

In my experience these two groups are usually the most stubborn type of people who believe their way is the right and only way. Often wonder what kind validation both of these groups are trying to seek. Maybe it's as simple as jealousy on both sides.

Is it pretty much just two groups of people now that leave Uni? The type who do the best to get an internship or position in their field and spend all their time living and breathing their vocation and those that head away for 3-6 months and come back to work a casual job whilst they wait for a position?

In my experience these two groups are usually the most stubborn type of people who believe their way is the right and only way. Often wonder what kind validation both of these groups are trying to seek. Maybe it's as simple as jealousy on both sides.

IMO there is no 'right' or 'wrong' path to take. there is only the path you took and the path you didn't take. can't stand people who think their way is the only way.

So basically get a job or not get a job. What's the third option?

In this market there is probably a third group who are serious in going for graduate positions but are unsuccessful so take time out to go overseas and then plan their next move.

Last edited:
Anyone here on the model of getting a bachelors degree, working in Asia for a Fortune 500 for two and a half years, regrettably losing that job, then traveling for half a year, and studying Mandarin in China for a year, before then getting back into the work market pre-MBA/6 figures?

Disagree with 1- hard yes, but over exaggerated by the unemployed. It's a competitive job market, if someone's a better for for the than you of course they will get the gig.
Point 2 is a defeatist attitude really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its not a matter for opinion.

The job market is ****ed for new grads and wages are stagnant.

That's a fact.

So basically get a job or not get a job. What's the third option?
Join the circus?

In this market there is probably a third group who are serious go for graduate positions but are unsuccessful so take time out to go overseas and then plan their next move.
Have a few guys at my local club that didn't get positions until the following year (around mid-year) and the start dates weren't for another 6 months. Tough times by the sounds of it.

I finished year 12 when I was 17 and done a trade as a Fitter and Turner. Jump forward 10 years I still work in that trade with same employer and I've started a bachelor degree in Mechanical Engineering.
Not easy working full time and studying part time, doesn't leave much time for anything else. Will take me roughly 7-8 years to complete, upside is I claim every expense on my TAX return since I'm studying a degree that my field of work pairs with.
I wouldn't of been able to go to university straight out of school, wasn't mature enough. Negative is having a HECS debt when earning good money, when I work overtime I get taxed roughly $1100 a week... I get heart pains everytime I open my payslip

I've been told if you have a degree and a trade behind you, you'll basically be a walk up start in any job that you apply for.
Engineers with practical knowledge and understanding are rare as hens teeth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Isn't Engineering absolutely cactus these days?

I know plenty of sycophants who did it in high school 'to make heaps of money' and now mining has gone to s**t. There were enough in the field and now there's way, way too many.

I know dudes with six, seven years put into engineering at UWA/Melbourne and they're working for Coles and unrelated office jobs.

I know plenty of sycophants who did it in high school 'to make heaps of money' and now mining has gone to s**t. There were enough in the field and now there's way, way too many.

I know dudes with six, seven years put into engineering at UWA/Melbourne and they're working for Coles and unrelated office jobs.

Engineering isn't as healthy as it once was but considering my employer has like over 300 employed it isn't too bad.

I'll also have a trade background which is basically walk up start anyway for an engineer position. I work with graduates on a regular basis and what they learn at university compared to on site is completely different. Unless your one of those desk jockey engineers that sits in front of a computer for 8 hours a day.
I prefer to find on site work, have a team of fitters and electricians working for me. I can be the missing link from salary to hourly.

It's a tough job market for engineering students atm, civil students would be better off in the grad market for now. Your last sentence is a common outcome for many people I know from uni and high school - not just for engineering but also students who studied business/commerce, arts and science. Students don't take university seriously these days. Most students don't even plan ahead for future employment opportunities let alone think about their HECS debt! It's become a path that high school students are pushed into 'because that's just what you do now when you graduate from high school'...

I'm in my final semester of my commerce/engineering degree now, I've found that engineering students in particular don't prepare themselves for employment from their early years at uni. They only start to look at graduate jobs and perhaps internships in their final year when it's too late. Whereas the culture for graduate and internship opportunities is ingrained in you from day 1 in commerce - particularly in GO8 universities.

Its not a matter for opinion.

The job market is stuffed for new grads and wages are stagnant.

That's a fact.
Yes, it is. I found a job within 2-3 months of graduating and have my wage has gone up by roughly 50% over 3 years. :$.

It stinks currently, but being influenced by resources (not just mining) is cyclical by nature.

Being cyclical, the number of jobs going goes up and down as you'd obviously expect. Historically it also influences people taking it up in the first place, so you get waves of graduate classes that are light on for engineers then a couple of years later it becomes popular again. IMO there'd be more Gen Y than Gen X engineers in Australia, and a heap of boomers at the top controlling everything because that's their thing.

People seem to overlook that from the mid 2000s we had a boom in resources that made a heap of commodities attractive for investment at once which led to a boom in construction, then everyone being Australian wanted to funnel the money this generated into real estate, which saw a boom in residential/commercial construction. That's a lot of jobs with end dates being created and now most of them have no ended.

Typical. As soon as the Engineering students come in, this thread becomes mind numbingly self-indulgent and boring.

Lol, you're the one that asked about it.

I do worry about finishing uni because I have prepared myself with little to no practical experience in a field that demands it, and the job market is pretty ****ed.

However, I have done a lot of travelling in my time at uni and had a lot of fun. I have never consciously focused on my career because I have purely been living in the present. I have effectively one year to go on my degree after this semester so after this trip I have decided I will get my arse into gear and do something about my future.

Anyone here on the model of getting a bachelors degree, working in Asia for a Fortune 500 for two and a half years, regrettably losing that job, then traveling for half a year, and studying Mandarin in China for a year, before then getting back into the work market pre-MBA/6 figures?

Working in Asia (and, in particular, China) is great, but ideally you first do a couple of years work experience back home.

If you reveal yourself as too keen and rush over to Asia as a grad, you end up getting underpaid compared to your Australian peers and, in many professional roles, overworked. Then as you say, when you inevitably get burnt out, its hard to transition to a role back home.

On the other hand, a lot of international companies need people willing to work in Asia and see it as a hardship post. So if you can score an internal transfer via an international company with an Australian presence, you'll actually get paid a premium on top of your Australian salary. Plus your work experience ties in positively on your CV with your experience back home.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back